What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    Today was a 19.9 mile paddle on moving water. We were going downstream. Most of the trip was great. We put in at 10:00. We saw a very few other groups the first ten miles. I haven't done this stretch in a few years except about 1.5 years ago when it was in a HUGE flood and my buddy and I went on an adventure. I'm pretty sure I wrote about this.

This trip was more mellow and beautiful. My buddy just got a "new" boat; his first solo canoe. It's the yellow one. This was the trip he got it out for the first time other than a little time in a reservoir with the previous owner before he bought it.

dpsdkc4iu6vk.jpg

a12lzaf48vc3.jpg

By the time we got to the half-way point, we were behind the early morning crowd and just at the front of the afternoon crowd. In fast boats, we had come upon sight of another group, so we put on the juice and passed them to be back again in a quiet place. But at the half-way point, a group of folks in tubes and the like were just launching. We boogied on past them. With the upstream wind, we never saw them again.

a4ror4vheh5p.jpg

The next couple hours was a tiny bit more crowded. Just a bit. We saw maybe three or four other small groups of paddlers. Then when we got to the last 1.5 miles or so, it got nuts. In fact, it was like dodging a moving parade of people in tubes towing coolers of liquid refreshments. Holy cats!

odrmt4i0ntbg.jpg

I was frankly surprised how few motorized boats we saw. It was a great day; I'd do it again.

vjomoi5d1pa8.jpg
  • zsesame
    zsesame Posts: 4 Member
    45 minute Jazzercise On Demand flip fusion class.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Today will be rest. I’m still pretty cramped up from a hike in heat yesterday so just water and sodium today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    Another on-water row today, sitting bow in the double, this time with my friend who's a former Big 10 champion rower sitting in stroke seat in front of me - always a nice treat to follow her, for technical self-improvement.

We also had a little adventure, a first for both of us, and a bit of extra workout for me.

Our med student friend arrived a little late, so we put him out on the water in a rec single he's rowed many times before. This time, he flipped it, in one of less good locations for that. (Not strong current, but in an area where there are walls on both banks, so no place to swim to shallows or shore.) It's possible but tricky to get back in one of these after a flip in open water. By the time we realized he wasn't back in sight when he should be, and went back to look for him, he'd already made a couple of unsuccessful attempts, and spent a bunch of energy doing it.

He gave it another couple of tries while we hung back like concerned aunties (giving advice, but I swear he needed it 😉). By that time, he was tired enough that it made more sense to try to tow him (and the single) out of the difficult area with the double. (There's not enough room in a double for a 3rd person, not even close.) So, we pulled the stern of his single under our stern rigger, where my double partner could hang onto it, and he hung onto the stern of our boat, upper body kind of wrapped over the two boats. And I rowed, since the stroke rower was boat-holding, couldn't row.

Lemme tell you, that setup, two boats plus an over-draped human, has a good bit of water resistance. It was a power row for me, maximum legs, for sure, but we were making progress. After maybe 1000 meters of this, some neighbors came along in their pontoon boat and offered help. The single's rower swam to them, and the other two of us towed the single back to the dock (her holding it, me still rowing). Still kind of heavy but not nearly as much as dragging the human, too!

So, med student will soon be doing some flip recovery practice. 😆 And I got to row several thousand more meters than usual (Garmin says 9925 total), and a couple thousand of them were extra high resistance - good quad-strength workout.

I've helped flipped singles from the double before, and towed a single with a quad (4 person sculling boat, so more people could row) but for a shorter distance. In a perverse way - since everyone is fine, uninjured, cheerful - it was even kinda fun.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @AnnPT77 - that sounds pretty exciting! Glad it worked out and you were able to pull them all in safely!

Did 20 minutes of slow rowing machine today along with 10 of my LateralX and 15 on the Assault Bike. Only 45 minutes total work. My rowing handle seems to have melted with all the heat. Nasty sticky no matter what I do. Might have to just get another one. It's like rowing with fly paper. Hideous for the hands.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    Trying not to breathe all the smoke.

My street mid-day:
    qgtuw2aa7a8t.jpg

The boat ramp at the river:
    wjysrwhnryy6.jpg

The Masonic cemetery:
    a53qpwplm0fm.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Yesterday, very late, 3 x 2K rowing machine (avg 17spm, 2:33.8 split, heart rate topped out at 75% heart rate reserve, but most of the time below 70%, total 6647m with CD & row in/out), plus 39 minutes strength training.

Today, 4 x 2k rowing machine (avg 17spm, 2:35.7 split, HR couple bpm lower but close to previous day, total 8849m).

Not going fast, obvs not working very hard, not breathing hard, but sweating so much that I could feel droplets flying off my arms at the reversal into arms-away/body-over. 😆 Bodies are weird.

Two rainy days in a row, on-water rowing stormed out this morning, and not great cycling weather for a weather wimp like me, so it's all rowing machine for these couple days. 🙄
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited September 2020
    I had a long weekend scuba diving. It was brilliant. Here is a view from the hill near the accommodation (you can just make out the dive boat moored against the wall on the left):
    ceydfadaydh3.jpg

Yesterday, I got a quick climb in over lunch on my garden climbing wall. It was fun - I only had time for around 45 minutes, but got a lot of training stuff in. I also got an evening walk in, ending up on 19,000 steps which alright for a work day.

Today, I did an hour's yoga before breakfast. I will do something later - probably finger boarding and lifting.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Yesterday's workout
    Squat 245@3
    Squat 280@3
    Squat 315@10
    Sitting leg curl 3x15
    Leg press 3x5-8
    Hip thrust 3x15
    Pendulum squat 4x12
    Step ups 3x10
    Sitting calf raise 3x15
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Quick burn b4 work

cz7bacztcy19.png
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2020
    @mtaratoot - stay safe. We went through that all of June but it mostly stayed on the mountain away from the homes. It's very bad this year, especially in CA, WA and OR. I hope you get lots of rain soon.

Your governor called it a "once in a generation" event. Unfortunately, these events are what climate scientists have been warning about for over a decade. They will become more commonplace. I moved from Ohio because 60 inches plus a rain was the new norm there. By 2050 or 2060, Cincy will be like the MS Delta. Tucson will feel like Phoenix and I'll likely be long gone.
  • MikePfirrman
    One hour of Steady State today including 20 minutes or light rowing. Was nice, but had to cover the handles with socks as the handles have turned into goo from the AZ heat this Summer. Finished with LateralX and AD Pro (Assault Bike). All from 65% to 70% max HR. Back holding up for now. Been doing a lot more Superman Yoga poses, Cobras and planks. Often several times a day.
  • Booty-ful Butt 4 combo What a work out! My glutes were on fire. Whoaaa break day tomorrow!!

Combo 1
    -Squat pulse step right 3 rounds 12 reps
    -Squat pulse step left 3 rounds 12 reps
    -Alternating sprinter lunge 3 rounds 10 reps each leg
    -cardio blast jumping lunges 30 seconds as many as you can

(90 second break)

Combo 2
    -Stiff legged deadlifts 3 rounds 10 reps
    -One legged dead lift with toe touch 3 rounds 8 reps each leg
    -Cardio blast - Speed skaters 30 seconds fast and as many as you can do

(90 second break)

Combo 3
    -Altering reverse lunges 3 rounds 12 reps each leg
    -reverse lunge drops with hip extension 3 rounds 12 reps each leg
    -Cardi blast- step thrust overs 30 seconds as many as you can do

(90 second break)

Combo 4
    -Glute/hip bucks 3 rounds 12 reps
    -single leg glute squeezes 3 rounds 12 each leg
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yoga (15min), dead hangs (2m15s), handstand wall holds (2m15s), stomach vacuums (4m30s), jumprope (10min) and hollow body holds (60s on 60s off x 5 rounds (10min)...
  • AnnPT77
    The usual: 3 x 2k SS rowing machine (average 17spm, 2:33.1 split, but let myself push the 1st and especially 2nd piece down more than usual, so HR maxed at around 80% HR reserve on that 2nd piece (at 2:28.2, 18spm 😆). Eased up on the last piece, as hoping for on-water rowing weather in the AM. Over half of the time zone 3 (of 5), less than a third zone 4. 6612m total, including row in/out and CD.

Also, 41 minutes playing with dumbbells after the row.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Today, I did an hour's yoga before breakfast. I will do something later - probably finger boarding and lifting.

I did indeed do some finger boarding followed by upper body lifts:

Military press 3 sets of 5 @ 35 kgs
    Bench 3 sets of 5 @ 55 kgs
    Dips Loads!
    Facepulls 4 sets of 12.

• AnnPT77
    On water row in the double (with the med student who flipped the other day, trying to help him add a little more safety to his bladework, and also feel somewhat reassured that he can do this). About 53 minutes moving, a bit more than that wall clock, 7,225m total. Decent but manageable East wind, which kicks up a bit of chop on our stretch of river.
  • Mariner322007
    Mariner322007 Posts: 24 Member
    Treadmill- 30 mins
    Push ups 4 sets of 15
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Deadlift
    260@3
    300@3
    335@7
    Wide drip cable row 3x15
    Dumbell pullover 3x15
    Close grip lat pulldown 3x5-8
    Preacher curl 3x15
    Dumbell shrugs 2x10
    Reverse hyper 3x10
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    110 stories of stairs for our 9/11 responders which was 2,640 stairs. Also did house of cards - ♦️: bent over row, ♥️: push ups; ♠️: curls under 7 21 style; ♣️: dips, aces: 15 battle rope slams; 🃏: plank til failure