Loose Skin: 50lbs loss at 60+, 4+ years maintenance

Replies

• ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Background: I lost something over 50 pounds at age 59-60, 183lbs to 120s, in a bit less than a year. ....

I felt like the loose skin I had immediately after loss wasn't mostly disastrous, and certainly way better in every way than staying obese. "

Thank you for sharing. I had to laugh when you said your starting weight was obese! To me, I would be really happy right now to be 183 lbs. I guess maybe my views are distorted because my starting weight is so much higher. :)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Many of us (me, for one) look a bit worse part way to goal weight than at goal weight. Fat cells may deplete anywhere in our fat mass: They don't disappear starting with the outer layer, and proceed neatly inward, necessarily (I wish!). This means that a fat area may get kind of floppy/squishy first (kind of like a water balloon partly full of just water, unlike one that's completely full of water so rounded & firmer). The squishy fat conspires with gravity to keep skin stretched, so there can be droopy or hang-y bits. Sometimes people get discouraged at this stage, and kind of panic.

So much this! Thank you Ann!!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks Ann!! As I mentioned in a different thread that you responded to - I definitely have some skin issues, but I haven’t gotten all the way “there” yet.

Now I have hope that as I lose the last bit, the loose skin - especially the turkey neck will get a little better.

I need a job at 59 and a trusted recruiter tells me it’s important I give a “young” and energetic appearance. The energetic is not a problem With my healthier lifestyle but the “young”......
  • JFKoskey
    JFKoskey Posts: 5 Member
    Your weight loss accomplishment is incredible! You look great! Can I suggest that you might want to try a really good Multi-Collagen supplement and other supplements that are known to help increase your skin's collagen production. Topical creams only help a little, but supplements that go to the heart of the issue are much more effective. Having massages or using a massager on some of those areas can also help increase blood flow and kick up your collagen production to firm your skin again. Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!