Gym membership

Just joined a gym in hopes of getting back on track. It’s been about 6 years. What is the best way to start

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    First step is to define your goals. Until you know where you are going, it's tough to say how to get there. Do you want to lose body fat? Do you want to run, row, or something else? Do you want to gain leg muscles?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    As above, without knowing your goals, no one will be able to help you “start”.

Weight loss, body recomp, muscle building, body building (separating it from building general muscle as I’m referring more to someone with an interest in body building on an amateur moving towards professional level), running (could go with weight loss, but if you want to train for a 5k or marathon that’s a different starting point and training program than weight loss), etc.

The list really can go on and on. So, if you let us know what your goal is and/or what you are interested in starting, people can give you an idea of how to do that. 😊
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Find out if the gym offers an intro session where they show you how to properly use the equipment.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Big thing, as simple and silly as it may sound, is to actually GO and USE that gym membership.
  • amjmortensen48
    amjmortensen48 Posts: 40 Member
    I’m looking more to losing body fat/weight and gaining muscle. Getting my eating better in check
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I’m looking more to losing body fat/weight and gaining muscle. Getting my eating better in check

Losing weight is CICO and doesn’t require the gym. Get a food scale and weigh your foods and track your caloric intake accurately.

Muscle gain is very hard on a deficit, unless you are brand new to weight lifting, you won’t see much muscle gain. That said, weight lifting will make you stronger and has a ton of health benefits. I suggest looking into something like Starting Strength to get started on a weight lifting journey.