Planned bar mitzva - help

Coming up event with tons of food and indulging things. Already stressing about overeating. Any advice on how to handle these events?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    You can bank some calories in the days/week beforehand, for example 100kcal a day, so that you have more calories that day.

You can decide to eat at maintenance that day. If you have you weight loss rate set at 1 lb per week, that gives you 500 extra calories.

Something I do, but might not be for everyone: I often skip breakfast on days like weddings etc. when I know I will eat a lot of food. And I try to get a workout in as well, to increase my calorie goal.

It's also important to realize that you will probably see an increase in the scale, but that will mostly be water retention from extra salt and carbs, and increased food waste in your system.
    Also, don't forget to enjoy yourself! Events like this will continue to happen in your life, while losing weight and afterwards at maintenance, figure out a strategy and enjoy that food :smile:
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Ditto Lietchi.

Special events can be enjoyed as long as every day doesn’t become a special event. Eat a light breakfast and lunch (or skip one), bank some calories throughout the week, do a workout, and then enjoy yourself in moderation.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Remember that it takes roughly 3,500 calories over maintenance to gain one pound!

Assuming you aren’t diabetic or otherwise have health reasons not to overeat, one big blowout won’t even be much of a setback. Remember you have to learn to eat properly for the entire rest of your life, or the weight will come right back when you stop “dieting.” So you might as well start learning how to fit special occasions in now.

You have gotten good advice about how to manage eating at special occasions, but I wanted to add: if you have someone in your life that you admire for being fit, observe that person’s eating habits at the bar mitzvah. You might be surprised by what you learn. Many “effortlessly slim” people who can seemingly eat whatever they want have mastered good habits such as only taking what they really like best at a party or eating tiny portions of many things. You don’t have to stuff yourself just because the food is there - if you want the cheesecake and the regular cake, eat half a piece of each. Skip the potatoes if you think they are just meh. Don’t be afraid to reserve your calories for only things that are worth it to you!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited September 2020
    Enjoy the bar mitzvah. Eat like a normal person. Enjoy. One feast does not a diet make or unmake for that matter.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    If you have an event coming up and you know you're going to eat a lot --- I say enjoy it. 1 lb is 3500 calories --- and unless you are going to routinely be eating 3500 calories over your calorie goal...you don't need to stress about over-eating on one day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I'm sorry. I have to. :)

jbmjaihyuphv.png

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2020
    talgaelle wrote: »
    Coming up event with tons of food and indulging things. Already stressing about overeating. Any advice on how to handle these events?

@talgaelle - I go to a lot of events swimming in food and drinks for my job. I only eat something that will be fabulous. Nothing sucks more than wasting 500 calories for a dessert that wasn’t worth it. Many times at catered events, a lot of it isn’t worth it. Sometimes it is.. ;)

If you are worried about going off the rails - maybe graze on the low cal salads or vegetable options. I try to think of the events as time to socialize first, eat second. (But I live in NYC where good food is a daily thing, so I always have great meal options, event food isn’t that “special”)

For me - If the food is so decadent and amazing that I have to have it - I’d have a smaller portion. Also - most guests are likely to be in a pretty gown or suit for this event, so in this instance, most of the time in a nice dress - I eat less because I may be wearing something unforgiving.... 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mazel tov! I hope you enjoy!

Ps - I’ve never been to a bar or bat Mitzvah that didn’t have lox, herring or gefilte fish - all good and tasty and typically unless you eat a lb - won’t break the calorie bank!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    There are a lot of holidays coming up in the next few months. The best advice I ever got here was, enjoy the day, eat reasonably, log as best you can, and get right back with your program the next day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you have to learn to negotiate life. life consists of special events and holidays.

you can plan ahead, work out a bit more during the week, bank calories early in the week, eat a bit less early that day in particular etc. but truly... its ONE DAY. as long as ONE DAY doesn't turn into 2, into 7, into 30 into a year ... it really is no big deal.

Enjoy the day, get back to your routine the next day, and dont step on the scale for a week (water weight from sodium is a real thing and scares/derails a lot of people)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,161 Member
    Bagles with lox and cream cheese.

Babka.

Roasted vegetables.

Challah! With butter!

Champagne.

Brisket!

Salmon with a sauce you normally wouldn't eat!

Canapes.

Ruggealah!

Eclairs.

Cheesecake!

All the good stuff.

What if you eat it ALL? What if you eat 7000 calories over for one day? Well, even if your body can assimilate all those calories (it might be overloaded and not be able to actually extract all the energy - I'm not sure about all that), and even if you do gain a full two pounds of fat (which you won't), you can make up for it. It's the same as eating 19 extra calories per day for a year. So it can't be that over-the-top to make a little extra deficit over the weeks before and after to balance it out to zero.

But only eat it if you really love it. And eat more if you want. Be mindful. Try to be honest with yourself. Log your splurge as best you can so you have a record, then get back to business.

This is a journey. Along the way there are many of side trips you can take. Like a river trip, you are heading somewhere, but you might stop to go hike and see some pictographs or a really neat waterfall. It's all good! Then get back to the boat and keep moving towards your destination. You can do this.

Enjoy yourself, enjoy the company, and celebrate the occasion.

Mazel tov!

Here's a bagel to get you started:

8ojh4eu7u1ba.jpg