Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you define "Curvy?"

Replies

• riffwalkdale
    riffwalkdale Posts: 241 Member
    Wait, so an hourglass wouldn't necessarily be curvy? What about big hips and thighs, but smaller boobs? Would that be curvy? I consider myself curvy, but reading this thread has made me second guess.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited May 2020
    For me, curvy means shapely - ie you have many different curves. Big differences between bust, waist, hips, thighs, knees, calves. You can be curvy at any size. Specific sizes are not the definition of curvy. If you are thin, you can be curvy or not. If you are overweight, you can be curvy or not. Depends on bone structure and where you store your fat.
  • lankydrummer85
    lankydrummer85 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried Bravissimo? They have sports bras and sports wear for those blessed in the chest area. I love their stuff. :)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    It's funny to see how many different definitions there are... I think the term is so elusive because it is in fact always an euphemism - either of
    - "traditionally feminine" (whatever the speaker thinks that looks like)
    - fat (for a woman, as it's always a gendered term, unlike, say, chubby).

To me, when I hear it, it always has a connotation that the speaker thinks they know what is a/the "nice" way to look as a woman, and that always bugs me a little. Although as a pet peeve it is far behind "lady" which always connotes the idea of a "nice" way to be as a woman, which is worse...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I consider myself to be curvy. I'm normal weight and don't have particularly big breasts. but I have wide pelvis and shoulder bones, and my thighs are where it all happens. So I guess There's lots of curvature there.
  • chantalnarcisse
    chantalnarcisse Posts: 36 Member
    curvy to me could be any weight within reason but includes a noticeable small waist and bigger breasts and or hips.
  • chantalnarcisse
    chantalnarcisse Posts: 36 Member
    Normally I think of proportionally flatter stomach too.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    There is Jennifer Lopez curvy. And there is overweight curvy. The word curvy has changed over the years, that doesn't bother me.
  • Dayannahernandez30
    Dayannahernandez30 Posts: 30 Member
    I’m curvy
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    I consider a woman to be curvy if her waist is significantly smaller than thighs and hips. Even if she’s plus size, bbw, or whatever term is PC.... But that’s just me.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    “Nothing is more disruptive to my workouts than having to stop and pull my pants up every 15”

@ssurvivor, this part got me right away! When I’d be running down my street I could literally feel them inching down my thighs.... so I figured out a way to stop it. Try and see if it works for you.... I wear them WET now! Seriously, I spray the crap out of them with a water bottle right before I leave the house and they stay PUT the whole time. You can’t tell they’re wet unless you sit down and when I’d go to the gym I’d always sit on a hand towel anyway. I buy them small and tight but they still inch down unless they’re wet so I hope this works for you. It has solved my problem and I can run for longer than an hour without issue👍🏼
  • parkersmom96
    parkersmom96 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2020
    I would really like to take back the ‘curvy’ moniker for the hourglass shape. Even now that I still have some inches to lose in the midsection I still consider myself a curvy figure, I think it has more to do with the hip shape when it comes to pants.

It’s been a nightmare finding jeans to fit in the low and mid rise styles for the last 5-10 years. A curved cut would have a smaller waist in relation to the hips, and would avoid the dreaded gap of doom. We won’t even talk about those of us with a long torso and high natural waist.

LOL: "The dreaded gap of doom"

• tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    @Lobsterboxtops I am not curvy. There has to be better word than boxy but that would be me, I have a short torso and low natural waist and still find "The dreaded gap of doom" Yesterday my hiking pants were sliding down even with a zipper, snap, and stretchy draw string. They fit fine in the hips and thighs. I can see where finding pants to fit you is a nightmare.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    THICC is what I am hearing people call it now

But a perfect example would be Jordynne Grace the wrestler
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Just throwing in a clothing suggestion. I just bought a pair of workout leggings at tjmaxx by a brand called Balance Collection. They are gorgeous and comfortable and quite a bit tighter in the waist than in the rest. They even have a seam at the top that grabs the waist at the narrow point.