Need to reverse what I caused...

I found out three days ago that I'm diabetic. So I have three months to get my act together and lower my A1c to hopefully prevent getting put on medication. I'm looking for motivation, others who are in the same situation. My boyfriend and family aren't very supportive or helpful during this process and change in my life. So just looking for friends and support.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Three days and three months may not be enough time to avoid medication. T2 does not suddenly show up on your doorstep. Before the diagnosis it's been brewing in your internal organs for years and maybe even a decade or more. Know that going in.

Dropping it like it's hot is overcompensation now. Forget about having only 3 months to get it together. You're not in a race or a challenge with yourself. So you have to go on medication, it's not a sentence. You can start today but your daily choices going forward will determine and mold your relationship with food for the rest of your life.

Did your medical professionals advise you or give you a food protocol to follow. You're already motivated by the diagnosis. What you need is direction and a concrete plan. Start tracking your data points but surely they gave you something to follow. If they didn't, why not.

We can't rely on boyfriends and family to prop us up. They're too busy trying to conduct their own business. There's only choices and consequences. Today you choose to change. Great decision. Tiny steps for tiny feet.
    Don't bite off more than you can chew by overwhelming yourself.

This is going to take a lorra lorra time and much work but it starts with today. Get your food plan together. Keep knocking on doors until they give you one.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    If you're UP for a rodeo just get ready for 2 or 3 years of gutting it out with focus and consistency. Metabolic syndrome is a total cluster. You can always get off the medication with medical approval as you work your way through it. Increased thirst and an appetite that will not be abated. These things are subtle as the years go by.
    You can turn this ship around but it's going to take daily focus and tracking and time.
  • Dancer0515
    Dancer0515 Posts: 69 Member
    I think the main goal of the three month goal, is if she drops weight and her HBA1C goes down then it shows it can be diet controlled. She will still have to continue on the path as this is now a life time chronic illness. Which means decreasing carbs for the rest of your life. Family has to be supportive and your boyfriend should be more understanding. My mom is a type 2 diabetic. Lost her leg to it. If she eats hesltht she doesnt need insulin. Just basic medications but low doses becausr her sugars were too low. Therefore you may not need medication but you will be a diabetic and need to continue to watch what you eat and participate in exercise ( be mindful that when you exercise your blood sugars decrease.. 30 mins a day can do wonders!! Good luck!@ xo