Women 200lb+, Let's Seize the Day This September!!!

Replies

• cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    @KeriA Sounds like a wise choice to wait until your air quality gets better before kicking up the exercise again.

@aliciap0116 Glad your husband is getting to go home!

@catgirl2289 You've got this!

As for me I'm still plugging along. I have had my peloton bike for about a month now, and I'm still enjoying it and getting stronger. My weight loss has slowed down this month. I haven't been the best in terms of food choices, but have still been under calorie goal every day. So I'm trying to determine if I'm just at the point where things naturally start to slow down, if it's my diet, or if it's due to the new workout.

Before this month I was just solely walking, and currently I'm doing the bike + doing strength workouts through the peloton app. I don't want to get too hung up on the scale BUT as I'm still very far away from my end goal it would be nice to see at least a 1 lb weekly loss versus 0.5lbs or nothing! I'm doing a program that has about a 1.5 weeks left, but after that I might reconfigure my workout plan to include a mix of biking/walking/strength. We'll see how it goes!

I also need to take some measurements; I'm sure that would help to see progress when the scale isn't moving as much as I'd like.

The Measuring tape can be a very good friend when the scale is being a jerk! The new exercise can mean you are holding onto to more water weight as muscles adjust and grow. As long as the trend is down on the scale, you're doing well.
    You got this!
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    For anyone looking for an indoors exercise that’s free with no equipment needed, I’ve been doing the couch to fitness programme through Our Parks online, you can set up an account which tracks which videos you’ve completed or just find them on YouTube. Works much like couch to 5 K in that you start with longer rest breaks and shorter activity periods and work your way up over 9 weeks. It’s 3 sessions a week with cardio, then core, then glutes. I was on week 4 before getting a chest infection, I’ve cycled back to week 1 while I’m still a bit breathless as I can cope with that. I’ll move back up the weeks once this illness has passed a bit.
  • changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    @aliciap0116 I'm so glad your husband is being released this afternoon, I'm sure he will recover quicker at home and all of you will be able to heal after this terrible accident and fright, take care of yourself xoxo
  • changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    @catgirl2289 I use Lesley Sansone indoor walk videos on youtube when I can't walk outside, they are simple and u can decide how many miles you want to walk. Maybe start with 1mile and see what you think. I find the exercise is a huge motivator and all-round happy pill for me, honestly, six months ago I was so unfit and didn't think I would ever be where I am now, and I just started with 10 min HIT walk once a day... Go for it!
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Wednesday weigh in

Highest weight: 435 (11/1/18)--lost 50 lbs. by the end of 2018 but got off track and gained back almost 31 lbs.
    SW: 415.8 (4/17/19)

8/26: 213.6
    8/31: 211.2
    9/2: 210.4
    9/9: 209.6
    9/16: 206.6
    9/23:
    9/30:

Sept. GW: 204.2
    GW: 160 (then reevaluate)

Weekly exercise goals:
    - bike ride or exercise bike 5 times per week - 5/5
    - strength training (including core specific exercises) 2 times per week - 2/2
    - chair yoga 4 times per week - 4/4
    - steps onto aerobic step platform twice a day at least 3 times per week - 4/3; increased reps this past week
    - bonus: 1 hike this past week

My pattern of a small loss followed by a bigger loss continues. I guess it averages out over the weeks. :)

I don't think I'll meet my exercise goals this week. Traveling to my parents for a doctor's appointment one day. Then I will be gone 3 or 4 days to visit my daughter. That's okay. Visiting my daughter is worth it and hopefully we'll get a hike or 2 in while I'm there.

@aliciap0116 Thanks for the update on your husband. So glad to hear he will be going home. I hope he heals quickly. Take care of yourself, too, as best you can.
  • MuttiNM
    edited September 2020
    sorry--double post
  • MuttiNM
    edited September 2020
    Sorry for the double post. There was an error when I tried to post the first time and it told me to try again. So I did and ended up with a double post and wasn't able to edit either one!

Edit to add: Just realized I could still edit the 2nd post. Sorry for the mix ups. Have a good day!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    @xofarrah good job tracking your calories. This is not just a simple numbers game. We need to spend time understanding our bodies and our eating habits and what works and what doesn’t.
    @AlexandraFindsHerself I think it is wise to get that gym visit done early. I check in here daily especially on weekdays for the same reason.
    @katescurios Great GW and good progress so far. Welcome! Oh thanks for the info on the couch to fitness programme. I did C25k until my Dr diagnosed arthritis in my knees. I am doing some exercise videos and I have created my own routines as well but I think this might help.
    @alicap0116 I am so glad to hear your husband is home and doing better but I stopped and prayed that he will be completely healed. Thanks for letting us know how you are all doing. 2 lbs is no big deal for you - just stay in Onderland. Just try to generally maintain until all settles down. The thing about this year it seems there is the pandemic affecting us all in different ways but there have been individual and regional challenges on top of that as well. We get used to one and the next hits us. You are handling this the way that is best by keeping positive. I hope you get a great rest and a great fresh start tomorrow.
    @cppeace I see you are cycling your calories. I don’t do this intentionally but I try to look at a weekly deficit and not a daily one. I often notice I lose after a higher calorie day. I think this helps to tell your body you aren’t in danger of starving.
    @catgirl2289 I found that eating at home was a big factor for me. I do not eat out now except for very occasional take out. That is the main reason I have lost almost 20 lbs in this pandemic. Before with full time work, the commute and exercise after work it was an issue for me. We were struggling to eat at home.
    @Akama4321 I am cheering you on this fall teaching and taking care of yourself. We are being asked to make so many changes during this year it is hard to adjust. Take care.
    @motivatedsister When you up your exercise there often is a temporary slow down in weight loss. In the end the water retention in muscles will end and the increase in metabolism will also help. However when I lost 40 lbs before, I had another issue with the increase in exercise. At 20 lbs loss, I lost track of my TDEE which had gone up and my calorie deficit was too big for the amount of increased exercise I was getting so I stalled for months until I upped my calories. So watch out for that. In fact I went on maintenance for 2 weeks before I reduced my calories to an adjusted lower deficit. I lost another 20 lbs. Unfortunately I went back to work full time and didn’t adjust my calories down again and here I am. Have patience and get to know how your body works and you will lose. It isn’t easy and it is frustrating but it can be done.
    @MuttiNM enjoy your visit to your daughters. You have already made a lot of progress this month.
    @jayemes glad this week is going well.
  • cppeace
    Yeah, I try to never have too many higher or lower days in a row. It generally works.
  • torih941
    torih941 Posts: 207 Member
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971, I also have to get up and moving otherwise things I have planned just won't happen. I am trying to turn myself into a morning exerciser but that is a work in progress at the moment.

@katescurios, welcome! We are here for your successes and any struggles you may have. This is a wonderful group of people.

@aliciap0116, so happy to hear the news of your husband, that is great. You have been doing amazing given the stressful circumstances. ]

@cppeace, love all your goals, especially the way you split them up.

@catgirl2289, motivation is the most difficult part of this journey, it can easily come and go.

@Akamai4321, first of all, kudos to you being a teacher during this pandemic. I can't imagine the levels of stress you're feeling right now. Those are great goals and your loss for the week is fantastic! It sounds like you have a solid plan in place.

@motivatedsister, it is so easy to get hung up on the scale, it happens to me far too often, but as long as we keep making healthy choices and getting some movement in, the scale will eventually reflect. Those stalls can be the most frustrating part.

@MuttiNM, you're experiencing great loss and killing your weekly goals. Sounds like fun reasons to not meet your goals for the week! Enjoy yourself :smile:

@jayemes, great work with the water! I used to be (and still can be) horrible at drinking water. I'm not sure why, it is just not the first drink I gravitate towards.

@KeriA, nice work adjusting your week to what you were able to do!

Happy Hump Day! This week seems to be flying by, I missed working out on Mon/Tue, I just wasn't feeling it. I did go today, so that was a win! I haven't been eating the best this week and my TOM is coming up, so I am trying to resist those cravings, but it is hard. Hope everyone has a good rest of their week!

• cppeace
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but it definitely sent me in a tizzy this morning. Some of my shirts are getting too big, I was wearing them before because they were loose but nothing that was unflattering. Now most of my shirts are loose to the point where it no longer looks the best as I work in a semi-professional environment.

I'm really struggling with the thought of donating/selling them because what if I gain all the weight back and have no clothes? It feels as if I am holding onto a piece of "old" Tori that is difficult for me to get rid of. Has anyone encountered these conflicting feelings??

@Riddikulus89, first question, Harry Potter fan? I love it! My favorite series. Secondly, sending hugs! It is so frustrating when our bodies are not responding in the way we hope. Sometimes when we start eating differently than our bodies are used to, they can hold onto water/weight, but your "whoosh" as people call it, will come. It may take time for your body to work with you, but if you keep tracking and focusing on your goals, it'll happen.

Well, when it comes to keeping older too big clothes I go by a minimum kind of way. I figure I keep too much I'm giving myself too much excuse to slip back that way. I keep any major favorites and about 10-15% of regulars but the rest gets donated, given away or turned into rags. Do what you feel will work right for you!
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but it definitely sent me in a tizzy this morning. Some of my shirts are getting too big, I was wearing them before because they were loose but nothing that was unflattering. Now most of my shirts are loose to the point where it no longer looks the best as I work in a semi-professional environment.

I'm really struggling with the thought of donating/selling them because what if I gain all the weight back and have no clothes? It feels as if I am holding onto a piece of "old" Tori that is difficult for me to get rid of. Has anyone encountered these conflicting feelings??

@Riddikulus89, first question, Harry Potter fan? I love it! My favorite series. Secondly, sending hugs! It is so frustrating when our bodies are not responding in the way we hope. Sometimes when we start eating differently than our bodies are used to, they can hold onto water/weight, but your "whoosh" as people call it, will come. It may take time for your body to work with you, but if you keep tracking and focusing on your goals, it'll happen.

I haven’t reached that point yet although my clothes are starting to feel loose. It’s actuallly one of the mental images I’m using to drive me forward. As soon as any items get too big they’re going. No hesitation. My goal is to donate my entire wardrobe. I am buying no new clothes until I reach the point where I have nothing left in my wardrobe that I can wear. This is helped greatly by the fact I work from home, so if I end up spending a few weeks looking like a scarecrow it won’t be the end of the world 🤣

If I were in your position, I would bag up anything that is now too big, take it to a charity shop and while you’re there find some cheap temporary work clothes to tide you over while you keep losing.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    @motivatedsister When you up your exercise there often is a temporary slow down in weight loss. In the end the water retention in muscles will end and the increase in metabolism will also help. However when I lost 40 lbs before, I had another issue with the increase in exercise. At 20 lbs loss, I lost track of my TDEE which had gone up and my calorie deficit was too big for the amount of increased exercise I was getting so I stalled for months until I upped my calories. So watch out for that. In fact I went on maintenance for 2 weeks before I reduced my calories to an adjusted lower deficit. I lost another 20 lbs. Unfortunately I went back to work full time and didn’t adjust my calories down again and here I am. Have patience and get to know how your body works and you will lose. It isn’t easy and it is frustrating but it can be done.

Thanks for this! I've unintentionally ate back more of my exercise calories this week (didn't make it to the grocery store so dinner has been on the fly this week - which results in finding quick solutions that are higher in calories versus when I plan), so we'll see how weigh in goes Monday. I'm at least staying the course exercise wise through next week as I'm doing that 4-week program. So still a little time to see if body will "release" some water/weight before I figure out what I want to do workout wise going forward.

Overall I'm liking what I'm doing workout wise, so if things continue to stall I'll have to really evaluate the diet!