Protein shakes

What is the best protein shake that is more healthy without a lot of added ingredients we do not need in our diet? I am looking for a meal replacement for breakfast.

Replies

• Blondiebear23
    Blondiebear23 Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you! It can be overwhelming and some are very expensive.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes, they are. If you have a big box store there are members here who really enjoy some of the store brands. I used to belong to a club that was all about avoiding dirty ingredients. That really flopped for me. Doing things we don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it all back.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I don’t use it to replace meals, but for my post weight lifting protein needs:

Optimum nutrition whey and I mix it with skim milk. I have the French vanilla and I also add a couple squirts or imitation vanilla and then it’s yummy. I still eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as I have 0 desire to drink any of my actual meals
  • Blondiebear23
    Blondiebear23 Posts: 40 Member
    So I wanted to share with you both what I ended up ordering: OWYN - 100% Vegan Plant-Based Protein Powder | Vanilla 2.1 lb Tub | Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Allergy-Free, Vegetarian.
  • I use premier protein . You may want to look into 310 shakes, I heard alot of good things about them but havent used them personally
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What is the best protein shake that is more healthy without a lot of added ingredients we do not need in our diet? I am looking for a meal replacement for breakfast.

For starters, protein shakes really aren't really adequate as a meal replacement...they do not have all of the nutritional elements that an actual meal replacement shake would have in regards to vitamins, minerals, carbs, fat, etc.

Protein shakes are simply protein supplements. I typically have one per day because, while I do eat meat, I eat quite a few vegetarian meals and typically only eat meat or fish once per day so supplementing helps me get in more protein where I may be lacking. I don't find them particularly filling either...they don't stave off hunger for me, so they would also be ineffective as a meal replacement for myself.

As far as a bunch of ingredients goes, supplemental protein shakes are a highly processed food good and are typically going to have a pretty good laundry list of ingredients...this doesn't particularly bother me in that for the most part I cook and use whole food or minimally processed food goods for food preparation, so having a highly processed shake daily isn't a particularly material to me in the context of my diet in general.

As far as brands go, this is pretty individual and really comes down to taste preference.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    So I wanted to share with you both what I ended up ordering: OWYN - 100% Vegan Plant-Based Protein Powder | Vanilla 2.1 lb Tub | Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Allergy-Free, Vegetarian.

Two other good Vegan ones are Sunwarrior (Warrior Blend is the most allergy free and one of the "cleanest" vegan protein powders on the market). I like Orgain, but it has a little Erythritol in it. Both have Stevia but Sunwarrior only uses Organic stevia yet tastes pretty good still. My wife prefers the Sunwarrior and I like Orgain because Orgain has more flavors, like Peanut Butter/Chocolate and Chocolate Coconut.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 192 Member
    Here is what I have for breakfast. It can be anywhere between about 400-700+ calories, depending on ingredients & quantities chosen so it's really easy to work in variety. I've had this everyday for months and I still look forward to it everyday.

1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 tbsp peanut butter powder
    1 or 2 servings of protein powder of choice
    2/3 cup of yogurt (currently using Fage greek 0% fat)
    1 cup of whatever fruit fresh or frozen
    Add water if it's too thick.

Other ingredients I've used:
    Any flavor of yogurt you can imagine
    Coconut milk
    Whole Milk
    added spinach for more micro nutrients
  • Musclemassass
    Musclemassass Posts: 5 Member
    I like to add a few drops of sesame oil to my choc whey shake, that I make with water only. The nutty smell disguises the commercial taste more.