What are some good natural appetite suppressants?

Replies

• Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Well I was doing IF for a while and it was going good except I was overeating lunch and dinner because I was really hungry. And everyone here told me that I should be eating breakfast and that IF doesn't really help burn more calories, burn more fat, or increase metabolism and that I needed to eat breakfast.

Get a lot of mixed messages since everyone has different things that work for them.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Coffee has always worked for me as well as green tea. Coffee, green tea, water, and high fibrous foods. And for some reason, eggs hold me over for forever.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Brush your teeth. Seriously. The toothpaste taste in your mouth helps you stop remembering how delicious the food you just ate was.

Also, try to figure out what foods make you feel hungry. Starchy carbs and sugar make me feel hungry sooner even if I do eat them with plenty of fiber, protein, and fats. It may be something else for you. It will take trial and error.

I can see that! It is like drinking or eating something after brushing. It always tastes terrible lol.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    I agree that brushing your teeth works. I always have boiled eggs in the fridge and have if I want a snack mid morning. If I do eat breakfast it tends to be protein such as eggs, fish, sometimes leftover dinner.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    ^^ In all honesty, and has been mentioned a few times now, experimentation and patience is going to have to be the name of the game.

What works for you now may even evolve over time.

A lot of us are in the same boat and finding what works for us...which is what we shared with you.
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I am not only looking for a fiber supplement (or another pill).

I am already drinkng 100 oz of water daily and that isn't helping.

I am taking all the other ideas into consideration but was hoping for something I can "pop" when feeling hungry - not plan my whole day differently (eating later, changing diet, changing meals, etc).

Pretty sure it's not food grade though 🤷🏿‍♀️

https://youtu.be/BZOPzIva57Y

I just had a flashback to my childhood seeing those again! Thanks for that :smile:
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    What works for me:
    Protein : increase daily amount
    Hot drinks
    Sugar free jello (surprising, right?)
    A glass of water : Often, what I mistake as hunger is simply dehydration. Drink and wait a few minutes to see if it assuages the pangs.

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Definitely exercise.
  • 00markw
    00markw Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lots of great answers already here: water, coffee, exercise, more MORE protein, cleaning teeth - I've found all of those help.

This WOE/diet time around, I've been taking Psyllium Husk supplement capsules 20 minutes for meals up to 20 g /day. For me, it does help take the edge off my hunger - usually means I'm ok stopping eating after a plate of food. They also improve my digestion, make things smoother. I haven't had any bloodwork done since starting them, but psyllium is positively linked with lots of the other obesity markers too.

TL:DR I feel psyllium husk supplements have been taking the edge of my appetite without any contraindications for the last couple of months and I like the way they make my digestive system feel.

I'd be interested to hear others' experience of psyllium husks or Metamucil over time...?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Depends on you!
    If you were me you'd eat a breakfast consisting mostly of carbs, including some sugar (you need it, otherwise you'd crash before 10). Drink lots of tea. Eat a second breakfast at 11. Don't work out before after dinner, or your blood pressure would drop bigtime and you'd be too exhausted to work. Does that answer your question? :D
  • I kinda meant like fiber supplements or something like that I could take in between.

I used to earlier have this problem, within two hrs of lunch I would be hungry.. recently I have started one spoonful soaked basil seeds and they actually leave me feeling full .. it's high on fiber n low one carbs.. you can increase upto two spoons..
    I have heard chia seeds work the same way too ..
    This can't be main meal, you can use it in between ..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    What are some good natural appetite suppressants?

I am eating a large healthy breakfast that should fill me up till noon but I am immediately hungry again. I am ready to eat breakfast at 1030am after just eating breakfast at 9am.

I am drinking lots of water but it's not really helping. All I can think of is food.

I never used to like breakfast really and wasn't hungry till like 1pm daily but now that I am not eating junk all the time and eating healthier and going on walks all I can think of is food and when my next meal comes.

I'd be hungry again a short time after breakfast if it was very high in carbs and very low in protein. Oatmeal doesn't "stick to my ribs" in the least.

I have a lot of questions about your breakfasts which would be most easily answered if you would change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Do also make Fiber one of the nutrients you track and make sure you hit your goal every day.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I kinda meant like fiber supplements or something like that I could take in between.

In a pinch psyllium husk seems to help me there. A spoon full Psyllium husk, mix with a lot of water, directly drink. Maybe drink more water. That stuff expands like crazy, so having enough water with it is important (especially for swallowing, do not attempt to swallow a spoonful dry!).

May work for you, too.

Warning: Sudden high fiber intake can lead to uncomfortable changes in bowel movements.

I would agree with that. However, I can literally soak 2 grams of husk in a small amount of water and it really thickens up. I've added to oatmeal before. Like Andrea mentioned...go SLOW at first! Chia seeds are similar (Chia seed 'puddings' are quite filling).

You could also make 'energy balls' with protein/fat and fiber and pop one in when your starving...

Personally, a small baggie of nuts and cut up veggies help too.