5’4 120lbs

Hey guys, is 5’4 120lbs on the bigger side of healthy? I’m wanting to get down to 110 but it’s so hard! I eat about 1700 calories a day.

Replies

• Hello sarahowell5548,

I understand the desire to lose weight and I would like to help if I can. Would you mind telling me a little more about your weight loss journey? What is your motivation to lose 10lbs? And you mentioned you eat 1700 calories a day, is that part of your weight loss plan and if so, is it helping you reach your goal?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I was gonna say I think 110 is definitely the low side(or maybe below) of the healthiest general range. Of course, you’re an individual, not a general range.
  • sarahowell5548
    sarahowell5548 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi! The only reason I wanted to get down to 110 is because that’s what I was prepregnancy. I feel in my eyes I look bigger at 120lbs but I’m not sure what everyone else sees
  • sarahowell5548
    Hello sarahowell5548,

I understand the desire to lose weight and I would like to help if I can. Would you mind telling me a little more about your weight loss journey? What is your motivation to lose 10lbs? And you mentioned you eat 1700 calories a day, is that part of your weight loss plan and if so, is it helping you reach your goal?
    Hello sarahowell5548,

The 1700 calories is usually just what I eat to maintain. I’m scared that eating less will be dangerous
  • Okay, so it sounds like you are hoping to return to your previous weight prior to pregnancy and your caloric intake is already limited. I would suggest focusing on how you feel over what the scale says. As other people have commented, you are well within a normal healthy height and weight range. I would recommend incorporating some strength training into your routine. Strength training can help you gain a healthier, more efficient body composition and can increase you resting metabolism. Also, the ACSM recommends 150 minutes of moderate exercise for adults. Do you have a preferred exercise program or routine you like to do?
  • sarahowell5548
    Okay, so it sounds like you are hoping to return to your previous weight prior to pregnancy and your caloric intake is already limited. I would suggest focusing on how you feel over what the scale says. As other people have commented, you are well within a normal healthy height and weight range. I would recommend incorporating some strength training into your routine. Strength training can help you gain a healthier, more efficient body composition and can increase you resting metabolism. Also, the ACSM recommends 150 minutes of moderate exercise for adults. Do you have a preferred exercise program or routine you like to do?
    Should I stay at my current calorie intake or lower it?

• Without knowing specifics about your lifestyle: how active you are, your diet, medical conditions etc., and as I am not a healthcare professional, I can only suggest things. I think staying at your current calorie intake and trying to incorporate more exercise would be beneficial.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    If 1700 is maintaining you either have to eat less or exercise more to lose. The goals mfp sets for you are generally pretty accurate. Why not put for 1/2 pound loss a week and see what calorie number it gives you. That should be a healthy rate for you to lose at.
    If you happen to be breastfeeding remember that burns 200-400 calories a day.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    120 lbs at 5’4” is not big at all. I am 5’0” and at a weight of 120 lbs I was a size 2/4. I imagine being several inches taller would make one even smaller. A size zero seems really small to me.
  • marbleberry
    marbleberry Posts: 4 Member
    You have absolutely nothing to worry about at 5”4 and 120. I’m about the same height and would love to be that weight again. I weighed that at 26 years old. Now I’m 38 and am about 150. So I’m a little jealous lol.