How does my healthy eating look so far?

Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying to MEAL PREP my weeks because when I have the choice to make something each day or eat out things go badly.

I am 300lbs, 6ft, 3" tall - calorie goal set by MFP is 2000 calories.

THIS WEEK:
Breakfast - Yogurt Parfait (homeade - greek yogurt - frozen fruit)
Snack - Fruit (banana or melon)
Lunch - Meatloaf + mashed potato + green beans
Snack - Chia Pudding with frozen fruit (homeade)
Dinner - We use a meal delivery service - all meals are under 750 calories (EveryPlate)

NEXT WEEK:
Breakfast - Just Crack an Egg Bowl + Avocado
Snack - Yogurt Parfait (homeade - same as above)
Lunch - Sausage with Potato, zuchini, onion, and peppers (meal prep)
Snacks - P3 snack packs
Dinner - We use a meal delivery service - all meals are under 750 calories (EveryPlate)

WEEK AFTER THAT:
Breakfast - Oatmeal (overnight oats - homeade)
Snack - fruit (banana or melon)
Lunch - Shirataki Noodles or Spaghetti Squash with meatballs and pasta sauce + broccoli
Snack - Chia Pudding with frozen fruit (homeade)

---

I am used to eating two medium subs + brownie for lunch. Or a full cheesebread and half a pizza. Or seasame chicken with lo mein and crab wontons and pot stickers. Or quarter pounder + fries + nuggets + chicken sandwich in one sitting. I figured out the other day my standard lunch was 2000-2500 calories. So I feel like I am making some good progress with eating much better and eating only 2000 per day.

SOME OTHER IDEAS TO SWAMP OUT:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nuts (snacks)
Pepperoni Slices & Cheese (snacks)
Pretzels and Fruit (snacks)
Fruit Salad (snacks)
Soup (lunch)
Chili (lunch)
Smoothies (breakfast)

***Would love to hear some of your favorite snacks, meal prep lunch ideas, grab and go breakfasts, etc!!!***

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Looks good / sounds delicious, but maybe rotate these plans over three days to give yourself some variety each week? (I would go mad eating the same thing every day for a week, but that may just be me!)
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    edited September 2020
    I feel like when I get more stuff for variety it costs more and things go bad because I can't eat everything in time (like fruit and veggies especially).

I am only shopping for 2 people so it's hard.

I am sure I will get better at all this in time.

Also making one day a NO COOK DAY - where we go out and eat out (but watch our calories).
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Sounds great! As long as you are able to stick to it, and don't get sick of having the same lunch every day for a week, looks like a solid plan. Impressed you are able to do a hot cooked lunch every day. I just throw together a chicken sandwich and veggie sticks, or make myself a salad or something to bring in to the office. Not exciting, but gets the job done. I do have the same breakfast every single day though - smoothie with frozen berries, kale and protein powder. Never get sick of it, it's delish.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I make a lot of use of my freezer and fridge to provide variety without waste. If I buy larger packages of meat, for instance, I freeze single portions or portions for the two of us, which defrost very quickly in the pan when cooking. If I make larger meals I put single/double portions in the fridge to eat later in the week or in the freezer to use the following week. And some types of veg will keep for ages in the fridge (carrots, or leek for instance; courgette or mushrooms a bit less but still for a while). Potatoes, garlic and onions keep outside the fridge. We shop weekly and cook according to what we have, so we rarely throw veg away. (Though we know what we like to eat and that helps. Recently I have thrown out cucumber (we had a brief tzatziki craze but it didn't last long) and pineapple (I am allergic to it but my husband loves it so we bought one but he didn't eat it...). I have a lot of recipes that I like that only take about 10 minutes to make so are good for lunch.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    looks fine to me. certainly looks more interesting than a lot of posts i see with ' tell me how my day looks- and its all boiled chicken and broccoli everyday :# lol) the key is to find what works for you, and what you can do LONG TERM.

my breakfast and lunch is typically the same every day (though sometimes not, like today lol) but my dinner is always different.

and i nearly always have chocolate at the end of the day LOL
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    If you're happy having the same thing every day for a week, it looks fine. However, as you use a meal service for dinner, I assume you get variety there so every day won't seem quite the same.

Most days, my breakfast will be one of four things - but it's almost never the same thing for more than 4 days. I also have salad for lunch most days, but varying the protein in it makes it not seem the same plus, sometimes, I might add avocado, another batch might include a jar of roasted peppers or different salad leaves, so even the salad ingredients aren't always the same. (I usually make a big bowl of salad that does me for 3 lunches and just add a different protein to it once plated)

As you get settled into this new way of eating, consider mixing and matching. I'd definitely recommend expanding your menu to four or five meals to have in rotation. If you're at home, you could also consider a vegetable omelette for breakfast some mornings. Some of your lunches could be cooked bigger, bagged in portions and frozen for one day the following week - I assume you can freeze meatloaf (it's not something we tend to have in the UK) but you could certainly make a large batch of chilli and freeze it and the same would be true for meatballs and pasta sauce. Depending on what you do with it, you could probably even cook your sausage, potatoes and veg in bulk and freeze that in portion sizes. With ready-prepared portions in the freezer, you're not wasting anything, would spend less time cooking and could mix up your menu. Leftovers could go in to a soup (can also be frozen or will keep for a few days in the fridge) or omelette.