How accurate is this calorie calculator with your goals?

Hey y’all, I’m new to this app and looking forward to having fun being apart of this. I’ve lost over 75lbs and want to be successful keeping them off. How true do y’all find this calories calculator to be with your goals?

Replies

• avalanchefan95
    avalanchefan95 Posts: 21 Member
    It's -- not great. It's scanning a bar code but it's "most closely matching" with something in the search. I've found it to the off the packaging at least half the time. Fortunately I'm boring as hell so I eat similar things often so I edit the macros according to the packaging then pull from "My Foods" instead. Good luck!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    edited September 2020
    Accurate with regards to the calorie goal it gives you? Pretty accurate for me, I've lost weight at the rate I intended, perhaps even a bit quicker.

MFP gives you a calorie goal based on statistical averages according to the personal stats you entered. They will be (just about) accurate for a majority of people, less accurate for some and far from accurate for a small minority (outliers). The best way to find out is monitor your calorie intake and monitor your weight trend and see if it corresponds with MFP's calculation.
  • Mariner322007
    Mariner322007 Posts: 24 Member
    I personally think it’s a bit off . Calorie total seems a bit low at end of day
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Well, it seems to be working for me, so far.

If it comes to scanning products and figuring out their nutrition you have to remember that those are entered by other users and may be wrong. The first time I scan in a product I doubke check if the info on the packaging agrees with the info on screen and, if not, correct it and only use the corrected stuff from then on.

Also, I do a lot of googling to make sure generic products are mostly accurate (I buy many staples from a package free store).
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Pretty accurate. 1,200 calories a day in consumption it helpful and ive noticed even with increase workouts im not as hungry. Cutting back on greasy junk food and sweets helps me have excess healthy calories to eat later on.