WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Today is our 24th daywemet anniversary. Time goes by quick. Easy to remember when we got the new car. Today!

Happy Anniversary- our 28th is this coming Saturday
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Rebecca - so sorry your sister is suffering from Gout. I have two friends that suffer terribly with it.

I should clarify, I am actually happier in my marriage than I was for a long time. We have worked hard to get to where we are. I just was feeling sorry for myself about my birthday and complained about the lack of a gift. I know I am loved, I’m respected, don’t have to deal with abuse or any addictions. I just sometimes expect more.
    My role models in marriage made it look so easy, I think that’s always been one of my issues is I was never aware of the hard work that went into it.

Pip - happy Anniversary

I had great role models too- my parents have been married for 62yrs (married VERY young), my former inlaws have also been married 62yrs (a little older than my parents)- Still show love/affection to each other. Very hard on them now that former MIL is in a rest home with dementia and now Covid(but no symptoms)
    My current inlaws were just the opposite- no affection ever shown or felt between either- just a marriage of convienence (she had a 2yr old and living in Japan/divorced) and he was a widower. Said that was the biggest mistake he ever made. That is the "role model" husband saw so of course not a good thing.
    Things are not terrible, they could be so much worse. I don't have to worry about physical abuse, no financial worries. Up until 5 yrs ago, I just assumed that it was something wrong with me- that that was all I deserved(hubby #1 left with no warning and was gone 20yrs before I heard from him again- finally got answers and now we are great- both wish we would have worked harder and stayed together-jr. high sweethearts)

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited September 2020
    I ordered my Christmas cards yesterday :o I still like to send real ones and, even better, get some back.
    I did it because the gallery I usually order them from sent me a reminder. Their cards were the same as last year's and I couldn't find anything new I liked.
    So, I just browsed a couple of charities and found excellent ones on the Royal National Lifeboat Institute. Christmas beach huts! :D Perfect for Hove. So I bought them. Done! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Rebecca - I haven't even thought of Christmas cards, yet. True, I did string the popcorn for the tree, but I haven't thought of cards yet. Maybe that could be one of the things I do when I get bored (which is a lot lately)

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I haven’t been bored despite poor air quality, weather disasters in the gulf states, fires in our state and other west coast states, social distancing in the stores, CoVid 19 . . . We live in interesting times. Scary times—
  • Katla49
    Terri: I love your poem. We certainly live in interesting times, a blessing and also a curse. We are living with a pandemic, wild fires, hurricanes & social distancing. We wear masks in public. We also have a community of women 50+ who share wisdom, & life experience. I like it.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,304 Member
    I received Christmas cards for work this week. Most likely will mail them to staff homes this year (since that is where most are working). Will take a while to inscribe, sign, and address 200 or so. Something to keep me busy!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Michele,
    I used to have instant coffee for guests and also i have, long ago, made filter coffee. it's been ages. awesome for time with PJ!

@Pip, the inside of the CRV looks great for carrying furniture, planks, and so on.

@Ginny, you probably told us somewhere, but what is the ladies' group about ?

@Debbie, i'm so sorry your DH#1 left like that. that must have been shattering.

@Heather i used to send holiday cards. They are a big thing in the usa and i think in the UK too. not at all in france. i used to send them and i would almost never get any back. basically mostly only independent workers would/do send new year's cards/e-cards if anything.

HUSBANDS/ SIGNIFICANT OTHERS do you tell your DH/significat others that you want/expect a gift (or meal or cake) and/or that it's important to you?

It seems among us, some of us like gifts at holidays/birthdays, and some are really not into that.
    They won't know what's important if we don't tell them.

When splitting with last serious BF we did this ritual where we told one another what we were grateful for, what we apologized for and what we forgave one another for. It was really something. It was nice and for a few things nicely surprising to hear the grateful things. I remember for one or two things he forgave me for, i was surprised because he had never said that thing was important and in fact had said that it wasn't and i would have been able to adapt in that case had he said it was important, as i could certainly understand.
    He carried his weight overall in the relationship in terms, of time, energy, attention, etc, but he was not great in the gift department; since it wasnt a big deal to me, that was not 100% perfect but not an issue for me. We would take one another out for a bite on our repsective birthdays and hopefully do something else nice like go for a walk.

When alone on my birthday i often do the same: have a nice meal and go for a walk.

Ideal for me is to organise a little simple meal with 1 to 6 friends; but in mid-august in paris about 95% of people are away, and me too.

GOUT my father had it in his 70s, connected to diabetes. i hadn't realized it was so painful. he had a great deal of various very major health issues after age 60, so i didn't follow up on all of them.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    today i went for a fastish walk around mini-park near me: 10 times around this little loop, doing mild speed-walking; what i dislike is that one of my bosses lives smack next to the park and i have occasionally run into him there. i think i am not projecting when i say we are both happy not to run into one another; but with the gym closed, i have to sometimes make do.

i weighed and tracked my food.

meeting a colleague at 5. i need to prepare a bit.

slept very badly last night.

QUESTION FOR ALL

If you don't sleep well, what do you do? Does it help you to fall back asleep OR to make good use of time OR to feel positive even if not sleeping ?
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    :|
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    HUSBANDS/ SIGNIFICANT OTHERS do you tell your DH/significat others that you want/expect a gift (or meal or cake) and/or that it's important to you?

It seems among us, some of us like gifts at holidays/birthdays, and some are really not into that.
    They won't know what's important if we don't tell them.

Absolutely!! I put birthdays and our anniversary on both our google calendars with a long reminder time. I also add a calendar entry called "Get Birthday Card" (or anniversary as the case may be).

We also talk about what we want to do for our birthdays/anniversary.

We're not really into gifts ... we prefer doing something interesting. So we'll talk about what our options are, make our choices, book what we need to book, etc. :)

It's much less stressful that way.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    QUESTION FOR ALL

If you don't sleep well, what do you do? Does it help you to fall back asleep OR to make good use of time OR to feel positive even if not sleeping ?

If for some reason it's 2 am and I'm not asleep, I take a mild sleeping pill. If I don't get at least 6 hours at night, I won't be able to function properly at work and doing homework between 8 am and midnight.

I don't have the option of sleeping in or naps etc.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Terri Nice verse! I am getting anxious to see sunrises again.

Rebecca Sorry to hear your sister has gout. I can't imagine living in a basement and having health problems.

Katla Smoke has thinned some here and they have it rated unhealthy. Still hard for me to be out in it. They say now bad until Saturday.

Bananas If I don't sleep well I try doing my self-hypnosis and deep breathing. If that doesn't work I get up and listen to classical guitar music.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    (((Lisa)))

• Katla49
    Fayetta: Our air quality is currently unhealthy. It is 343 right now at 4:07 am. We are running our air conditioner to improve our indoor air quality.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! It has taken me a couple of mornings to catch up on posts!
    Machka- I would probably opt to serve a brunch. A crustless quiche, green salad, mini cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, fresh juice/mimosas and coffee. In the colder months I might change up the salad for my butternut squash and pear soup.
    Husbands- I have mentioned before that the fact that I couldn't change my husband hit me like a ton of bricks many years ago. Not that he was horrible; just did "man" things that aren't the way I do/react to them. SO...I just started accepting him. HOWEVER...now that we are working together...lol...let's just say we might need to adjust what exactly he does, until he learns the ropes with the kids. I love him; but I want to strangle him. >:)
    Peeps- Yuck! I am not a big marshmallow fan. I have a friend who has a bakery and makes fresh marshmallow treats; those are okay, but marshmallow on a whole is not my thing. I do buy the Peep snowmen to that the kids can make Snowman Soup in December. (Hot cocoa, with a Snowman Peep added and stirred until melted)

Still waiting for licensing to visit and give me my license (officially). I am also, now, two weeks away from seeing my grandsons! I am so excited, but it is a mad scramble to get the house ready while I have kids here every day. They are coming in on Friday night, so I will be busy disinfecting and switching up toys, while Tim or Colin go to pick them up at the airport.

Ooops! Here come my kiddos! Gotta fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »
    QUESTION FOR ALL

If for some reason it's 2 am and I'm not asleep, I take a mild sleeping pill. If I don't get at least 6 hours at night, I won't be able to function properly at work and doing homework between 8 am and midnight.

I don't have the option of sleeping in or naps etc.

M in Oz

Regarding sleep, this is a not-for-profit blog someone (me) quickly threw together about the topic of sleep ... with tips.

And since it is 10:40 pm, the lights are dim and I'm going to have some of my chamomile tea now.

I would have music on, but the Tour de France airs late in the evening these days, so that's on instead. :)

M in Oz