At Goal weight, No fireworks!?!

akm0615
akm0615 Posts: 28 Member
edited September 2020 in Success Stories
Hi Everyone, Could use some reassurance here.

Started my journey Jan 2020 at 145.8 lbs. Set an arbitrary goal to get to 110 lbs. No idea why that number. Probably because I'm, 5'.1". At 44yrs old it felt pretty far fetched. Fast forward to Sept 2020, met my goal and beyond at 109.2 lbs. Went from size 10 to size 2, Large tops to x-small. I see some definition in my muscles.

For some strange reason, I thought I would be super excited, hear all sorts of bells ringing and even fireworks in my head. None of that happened. I feel sad and borderline disappointed. Like something I was so focused on and looking forward to really is a place no different than 5 or 10lbs ago. I'm still focused on recomp. Still working out and eating well. But, really shocked how the weight on the scale had such little impact. What gives??

I'm sorry, I know many of you are working towards your goals and my intension is not to demotivate you in any way. I feel so confused with how I feel right now.

Anyone else experience this, when you reached your goal weight? What did you do to reset your feelings?

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Congratulations on making it to your goal weight! :D I do not think that 110 is such an arbitrary goal for your height. It depends upon your frame. 110 is right in the middle of the healthy range for your height. I have a small frame so I might decide once I get to a healthy range to go on the low side. My daughter should maybe even be a little above the range. You know you.

Maybe you realize that reaching goal weight isn't really the real goal here. It sounds to me you may have reached the real goal even before you reached your goal weight. Did you have times before you met your goal that you felt joy and accomplishment as you lost weight and got fitter? I suspect you did. I hope you did because to get to your goal weight you should have learned how to eat in a healthy sustainable way. If not then you still need to do this. If so you may have met your goal before you met your goal weight. Maintenance is not really much different than losing. That is your new goal. Hopefully you reached your goal weight by eating healthy foods you enjoy and starting to enjoy the increased activity and strength. Frankly you still need to have some joy in the foods you eat. Some people lose by eating in a unsustainable way. Then they gain it back. So the real goal is continuing or finding a sustainable relationship with food that isn't overly punitive and joyless. We should eat mostly for health but it is something we do everyday from 2-5 times a day. Enjoy your success but now the game has changed and it is to maintain what you achieved. Wearing a size 2 isn't the goal. It is an added benefit. You haven't come to the end of the road. You have come to a somewhat easier and definitely much more healthy path that you now want to make be right for you for the rest of your life. Now the joys are smaller but continue each day if you keep it up.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    From what you say, your life has changed: the number on the scale is really not as important.
  • ntrlwmn17
    ntrlwmn17 Posts: 15 Member
    congrats. i will eat a piece of cake for you. sorry you don't see fireworks. i guess because there's nothing else for you to do but maintain, maybe the fire is gone. :(
  • akm0615
    akm0615 Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you @briscogun Very eloquently said. Appreciate it.
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    i share this sentiment. i lost 20 lbs and have been in maintenance for 3 years. i still have a tummy, my clothes do fit better tho, but the volume left my face and well AND we won't talk about the skin sag. :D

i did this for my health and to feel better. and even tho i acknowledge i'll never have the perfect body - i don't feel the need to strive for it anymore. nobody's body is 18 forever. it's an achievement, yes - but now to maintain. if you can do that - you'll be just fine :)<3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!