Latex allergy and diet

I'm curious how many of you with latex allergies have found they also have sensitivity to things like nightshades, bananas, and apples. I've been trying to eat less anti-inflammatory because of nerve pain and other health issues and just came across this. I haven't wanted to cut nightshades since I have tomato plants and eat a ton of salsa but didn't realize there could be a connection to my latex allergy.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    No diagnosed allergy but a sensitivity. That said, I haven't noticed this connection and love eating my nightshades. A world without eggplants and peppers?! No thank you.

Have you discussed your findings and questions with your allergist or another member of your healthcare team?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    @MaltedTea I have horrible insurance, I can't depend on medical at all. I'm currently battling them for severe conditions they keep denying service for so an allergy test isn't happening. I'm basically on my own so I'm tweaking my diet as I go, nightshades are one of the things I really don't want to give up! And coffee!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully their appeal/mediation process isn't too jarring. Not sure where you live but here in Canada one can chat with an accountant about medical expense deductions (for income tax) beyond any health insurance coverage one may or may not have.

It often means paying out of pocket first and then holding on to the receipts for dear life til tax time.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    It definitely works the other way. As a health professional I am very wary of using latex based products on patients with documented banana or kiwi anaphylaxis . I think the cross reactivity in that direction is meant to be of the order of 5-10%
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    I have a mild latex allergy and also have issues with bananas, kiwi (itchy mouth and headaches for both) and avocado (digestive issues if I eat more than maybe 1/2 of one). I found out the connection between latex and bananas from my dentist when I was in high school. They asked if i had any allergies and I said "bananas but I doubt you care about that". They said that's why you should always list all allergies even if you don't think they are pertinent. 👍
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I have an allergic reaction to bananas and kiwi. Carry an epi pen and everything. They developed later in my life, so I miss things like banana bread and kiwis and fruit salad which I just need to avoid because it's too dangerous. At first I didn't know what to do with my diet, I ate bananas daily for snacks. Honestly, how I've coped is starting a ketogenic diet which cuts out lots of fruit so I don't "miss" them and consider it part of the diet. As much as I miss those foods, the reactions are so horrible I'll never go near them again. Everyone has some kind of health issue, it seems!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Just a suggestion. Many with allergies to chemicals (my wife is one) have other health issues. You mentioned nerve pain which caught my attention. My wife had allergies to chemicals and latex. Later cleaning chemicals. Also cow dairy and gluten sensitive and some histamine intolerance.

She also got Fibromyalgia eventually. A lot of it was tied to MTHFR genetic defect. Many with chemical sensitivities have it and don't know. Taking a methyl B vitamin (and they are fairly cheap) might help you tremendously. Pure Encapsulations makes one that's very high quality and cheap. We're talking like 30 cents a day. Jarrow has one too called B-Right. Eliminating gluten helped her tremendously over time.

You don't need an allergy test. Elimination diets are cheap. Youtube has many suggestions on how to do them and just Google them. Mindbodygreen has a good one that's easy to follow.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    @MikePfirrman I've been to that site and have been doing lot of searches here, your posts come up often and are very helpful. I did genetic testing and came up fine with the MTHFR gene. It wouldve fit everything and the first step with my doctor was supplements for vitamin deficiencies though folate wasn't one.The first test i ordered came up with celiac on both genetic strands and second with a gluten allergy. I do have random allergies that aren't severe like latex, formaldehyde, nickel, grass, hay fever, lactose, and artificial fragrance. I just tried adding beans and legumes back to my diet and it's a bust.

I have endometriosis so I'm familiar with chemical sensitivities and try to be as natural as I can within financial means. I have a lot of health issues that started this year, the pain kicked in 6 months ago and worsened, blood pressure increased for the first time ever, liver enzymes are real bad, and heart rate is very high. It's frustrating after losing a bunch of weight, developing a great workout routine, and going off diabetes medication to be even worse than when I started! Bloating is real bad but no other GI issues that I know of aside of some adhesions.

Guess I'll have to cut out this category for a bit and see what happens. I talk with my doctor next week so I'll see if she has advice.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman I've been to that site and have been doing lot of searches here, your posts come up often and are very helpful. I did genetic testing and came up fine with the MTHFR gene. It wouldve fit everything and the first step with my doctor was supplements for vitamin deficiencies though folate wasn't one.The first test i ordered came up with celiac on both genetic strands and second with a gluten allergy. I do have random allergies that aren't severe like latex, formaldehyde, nickel, grass, hay fever, lactose, and artificial fragrance. I just tried adding beans and legumes back to my diet and it's a bust.

I have endometriosis so I'm familiar with chemical sensitivities and try to be as natural as I can within financial means. I have a lot of health issues that started this year, the pain kicked in 6 months ago and worsened, blood pressure increased for the first time ever, liver enzymes are real bad, and heart rate is very high. It's frustrating after losing a bunch of weight, developing a great workout routine, and going off diabetes medication to be even worse than when I started! Bloating is real bad but no other GI issues that I know of aside of some adhesions.

Guess I'll have to cut out this category for a bit and see what happens. I talk with my doctor next week so I'll see if she has advice.

My wife had Endo severely as well. My belief is that Endo is from Xenoestrogens. DIM would help with that. Going Gluten free would help a lot.