What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you're an adult, you should grow up and eat foods you don't love because of their nutritional value. Sure, have some treats but if you always eat for enjoyment, you're losing enjoyment in other areas of life.

What if one actually enjoys plenty of highly nutritious foods, so one does not have to "eat foods you don't love" in order to have a good, nutrient-dense diet? I always find it weird when people suggest that eating a healthy diet requires not enjoying everything they eat. Personally, I love most veg, when properly cooked, fruit, and plenty of protein-rich foods, among other things, and I assume that's true for most of us adults.

This.

I never eat anything I don't truly enjoy (at least when I'm preparing my own food and I'm not a guest). If there is a nutrient-rich food I don't enjoy, I can always find another food I like that is a good source of that nutrient. I don't see it as an either/or.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Candy apples are gross and hard to eat. I have a small mouth and can’t eat apples unless they are cut up anyways lol.

cut up apples with caramel dip is the only way to eat caramel and apples haha
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you're an adult, you should grow up and eat foods you don't love because of their nutritional value. Sure, have some treats but if you always eat for enjoyment, you're losing enjoyment in other areas of life.

What if one actually enjoys plenty of highly nutritious foods, so one does not have to "eat foods you don't love" in order to have a good, nutrient-dense diet? I always find it weird when people suggest that eating a healthy diet requires not enjoying everything they eat. Personally, I love most veg, when properly cooked, fruit, and plenty of protein-rich foods, among other things, and I assume that's true for most of us adults.

This.

I never eat anything I don't truly enjoy (at least when I'm preparing my own food and I'm not a guest). If there is a nutrient-rich food I don't enjoy, I can always find another food I like that is a good source of that nutrient. I don't see it as an either/or.

agreed.
  • pancakerunner
    I think bell peppers are gross they taste like watery soap
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

It's like you've plunged a knife into my soul with those words. I can eat the crap out of some peppers. Love them!

love red, yellow and orange ones too...except I can not tolerate the green ones in the least!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

It's like you've plunged a knife into my soul with those words. I can eat the crap out of some peppers. Love them!

love red, yellow and orange ones too...except I can not tolerate the green ones in the least!

Green ones are only good for cooking the heck out of them with onions and garlic and sausage or steak.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2020

I quite enjoy bell peppers (of all varieties), but I admit my eyes nearly bugged out of my head when my cousin's husband asked me one day, "Do you know how to eat a bell pepper?" and then took a whole green bell pepper (stem in tact and all) and bit into it like one typically would bite into an apple. :D
  • mytyglotz
    edited September 2020
    Adding to my previous comment, my cousin's husband's method of eating bell peppers looked somewhat like this:
    https://www.gifdeliverynetwork.com/actualcriminalhusky
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

I feel like it is a hit or miss with bell peppers. Around here, if I get fresh ones from the farmers market, they are really delicious and sweet. If I buy from the store they are sometimes bitter and not very good. (most of the time)
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Adding to my previous comment, my cousin's husband's method of eating bell peppers looked somewhat like this:
    https://www.gifdeliverynetwork.com/actualcriminalhusky

I could do that and be happy.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Stevia isn’t a natural sweetener.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    kingscrown wrote: »

Why do you think this?
  • pancakerunner

Why do you think this?

It is a natural sweetener, that is UNNATURALLY processed. But natural nonetheless.
  • pancakerunner

I quite enjoy bell peppers (of all varieties), but I admit my eyes nearly bugged out of my head when my cousin's husband asked me one day, "Do you know how to eat a bell pepper?" and then took a whole green bell pepper (stem in tact and all) and bit into it like one typically would bite into an apple. :D

I like mini sweet peppers... especially grilled. And I guess I like bell peppers in fajitas and on nachos, etc. But i do not like RAW bell peppers. Like, as a sanck with hummus, etc.
  • mytyglotz
    edited September 2020

Why do you think this?

It is a natural sweetener, that is UNNATURALLY processed. But natural nonetheless.

I am sorry to bother -- I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the topic of artificial/processed vs. unprocessed sweeteners. I use the (unfortunately) processed white stevia powders on occasion, but I've been wanting to find an unprocessed noncaloric sweetener - I'm just uncertain 1) if such a thing exists and, if it does, 2) what that would be and where I could find it.

This thread prompted me to resume my search, and I found this product on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EGL5RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    bbtpz4xuumki.png

Do you know if this is a natural unprocessed form of stevia?

Additionally, if anyone knows of any unprocessed noncaloric sweeteners, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance. Keep thriving. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Candy apples are gross and hard to eat. I have a small mouth and can’t eat apples unless they are cut up anyways lol.

So agree with this. I don't like eating non chopped up apples, and have always hated candy apples (although I don't think that's been an issue since I was in girl scouts).
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Count me down as a candy apple hater.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Why do you think this?

I am sorry to bother -- I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the topic of artificial/processed vs. unprocessed sweeteners. I use the (unfortunately) processed white stevia powders on occasion, but I've been wanting to find an unprocessed noncaloric sweetener - I'm just uncertain 1) if such a thing exists and, if it does, 2) what that would be and where I could find it.

This thread prompted me to resume my search, and I found this product on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EGL5RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know if this is a natural unprocessed form of stevia?

Additionally, if anyone knows of any unprocessed noncaloric sweeteners, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance. Keep thriving. :)

Stevia, to my knowledge, grows in leaf form. That looks like a powder, so it has absolutely undergone some form of processing.