WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited September 2020
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

(((Julie and Kate)))

Katla:
    Many good wishes for Schooner's surgery and quick recovery.

Debbie:
    Happy anniversary!

Re masks, etc.:
    With all of my health mess going on, I'm religiously wearing my mask and still staying six feet away from everyone, but people walk up behind you in a store ALL THE TIME and reach around your shoulder for something.

Got some good news. Some wonderful VA pharmacy tech sent my antibiotics prescription separately without waiting on the other two medications, and they came in yesterday morning. Fingers crossed they begin to help soon. My head feels better today, but that's more likely because there's a light at the end of the tunnel than because there's been any progress.

Egg just yelled at Corey until she woke him up. Apparently she wants someone to play with this morning.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Another beautiful morning here with clean refreshing air. I am back to my full patio early morning workout.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    I had an encounter last Monday that makes me rethink any contact I have with others. Son's house needs soffit work. The man who came to give estimate appeared with no mask. I had my mask on. All our encounter was outside fortunately because at the end of the consult he informs me his girlfriend tested positive. One of the people who works in his office tested positive. They made him stay away from work for seven days. He was tested twice and was negative. I think he got a false sense he was immune. It can take up to two to three weeks sometimes after exposure to show up in a test.

The take away for me is to keep my distance from even those I know because I do not know who they have seen and what their exposure. Not everyone is going to be so forth coming like this man was.

Again I am glad we were outside and at least I had my mask on. We are having our furnace checked tomorrow and I will insist he wears a mask. As I will have one on too. I wish I had insisted on the man who came to look at our soffits. I have had people come who will only put on the mask if asked. I will always ask now! No it is not a choice if you want my business now!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited September 2020
    I had an encounter last Monday that makes me rethink any contact I have with others. Son's house needs soffit work. The man who came to give estimate appeared with no mask. I had my mask on. All our encounter was outside fortunately because at the end of the consult he informs me his girlfriend tested positive. One of the people who works in his office tested positive. They made him stay away from work for seven days. He was tested twice and was negative. I think he got a false sense he was immune. It can take up to two to three weeks sometimes after exposure to show up in a test.

The take away for me is to keep my distance from even those I know because I do not know who they have seen and what their exposure. Not everyone is going to be so forth coming like this man was.

Again I am glad we were outside and at least I had my mask on. We are having our furnace checked tomorrow and I will insist he wears a mask. As I will have one on too. I wish I had insisted on the man who came to look at our soffits. I have had people come who will only put on the mask if asked. I will always ask now! No it is not a choice if you want my business now!

And now ... you and your husband and anyone you've been in contact with need to be tested.

That was very selfish of the guy putting you into the position where you need to get tested!

• lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 331 Member
    Katla
    So sorry to hear that your furry friend is under the weather.
  • lcharpentier2
    There all caught up on the reading. Not doing much response but all is well. For those of you struggling in this crap called covid if you can stay home. It's not that hard. I went and got my medication at drug store yesterday. Picked up and left not there longer than needed. Now i'm good for the next three months.
    Take care all. And remember to be good to #1.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Faetta
    edited September 2020

Call your doctor to see if they advise testing. If this happens again ask for the names of anyone they claim tested positive they have been around. Also, report them to their employer and health dept for withholding this info until they were done with their estimate or repair. Was this man forthcoming or was he playing the psyco game that is becoming popular with many young folks? Be around an older person unmasked and filthy hands and then tell them later their partner tested positive. It happened to a friend, an older HVAC tech. He was masked, gloved, etc., and when he finished the repair the lady told him she and her boyfriend were positive for COVID. The health dept had no record of either of them being tested. His company made him get tested and take three weeks off and stay in isolation. He tested fine at the end of 3 weeks. Beware of the sick games some are playing with us older folks.

Another game going around is for one to pull down their mask, cough in their hands or wipe their nose, then touch the checkout keypad. These keypads are rarely sanitized once a day let alone between customers. All we can do is be extra careful and keep the rules to enter our homes very strict. Report anyone that withholds information until they finish their visit. To do such isn't selfish, it is CRIMINAL!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    I had a laptop from Walmart that cost under $400 but it was crappy. The keys were not quite right. So this year I got an HP from Amazon for under $700. Much better. Their recommendation system makes it easy to pick one.

Windows 10 is unpleasant but doable. They promote backups to the cloud. And a antivirus subscription. So set-up goes through all that. It's painful if you hate giving personal information to the big corporations.

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    edited September 2020
    About the key pad this is why I always wear gloves in a store and immediately take them off before I get into my car. I also try to use a wipe when using a key pad and I use a plastic bag when getting gas with gloves. So yes I am one of the over and above people and make no apology for it.

I really do think the guy thinks he is immune. Big mistake. There are two versions of the virus floating around. Friend whose son who had it early on and was never officially tested now has severe stomach issues so still do not know long term effects. Now I feel I must be even more cautious for myself and loved ones.
  • Faetta
    KJ I am with you on that tiny home dream. I have designed mine to be low upkeep, easy to clean, and energy and space-efficient and all on one level.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Went for my 5k run. :D Warm day, but a breeze on the seafront. I found my back aching a bit, but managed to keep going to the end. o:)
    It's scheduled to get cooler by the end of the week.

Nearly finished emptying the freezer part. Just a few things to throw away. I'm thawing them out as the containers are good ones. The company are supposed to be texting me tonight with the two hour delivery window for tomorrow. I will know then whether to switch it off tonight, or wait until the morning. The fridge part is absolutely filthy! :/ I tend to store a lot of things in it that don't really need to be in a fridge, like jam and pickles. Still have to sort out a few more of them.

Most of the time I'm just carrying on with my languages. <3 I'm feeling guilty about not getting on with my memoir this week, but I know I will get back to it soon. Nothing is stopping me, just me. All these home improvements have been the perfect distraction. :|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Annie - I just turned off their cloud and their anti virus. I have my own ones that I use.

Barbara - Here you are. This is the picture they give you, (not my room). I am combining it with Urban Grey, so was pleased to see how well it goes with a line of dark colour.

cbamh3qe7bx7.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Sunday -- good day, even if there wasn't much exercise!

Tidied several things.
    Cleaned some of the bathroom.
    Load of towels and floor mats washed and hung dry in the wind.
    Shopping to get project bits and pieces.
    Built a cap display for my husband to get his plethora of caps off the floor.
    Watched Richie Porte do a great Time Trial and thus get on the podium of the TdF.
    Opened the windows and enjoyed the warm weather.
    Played with Rhody.

Still waiting for assignment approval so I can get going on that!

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Thanks for the dog cookie recipe!!! I have it printed and saved. The next thing to do is find a bone shaped cookie cutter. That seems like part of the fun. :bigsmile:

Snowflake: Enjoy transforming your craft room to be a comfortable sitting room. :star:

Machka: I like “LOW RISK ISN’T NO RISK.” Thanks!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

I got mine on amazon. Different sizes for big and small dogs. Different shapes
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hey all! Getting my reading in; catching up on posts. Got my house cleaned and laundry done yesterday. Today I will clean up the room that Lauren and the boys will be staying in and doing some cooking for the week. I just put pot roast in the crock pot; so dinner is one less thing I have to worry about when I am tired tonight.
    Pip- So...are you getting one of the Meerkat campers? As someone suggested; you could easily set up table and chairs in a screened in area outside and be able to leave the inside for sleeping. I love it! Puts me in mind of the tiny homes, that I would love to retire into.
    Masks and other precautionary measures- I am still in a mask during the week while I am with the kids. IF we are outside, I have it on me, but not over my face unless we are bunched together. The only time I really wear a mask on the weekend is when I do my grocery shopping; otherwise I am home and mask free. Still cleaning every evening, deep cleaning on weekends, wiping down groceries (but that was a habit before COVID; after I saw the video of mice/bugs crawling across stored grocery items in warehouses/stores). I have noticed many of my families are easing up on "gatherings" with others. I am seeing lots of unmasked people holding my kiddos. I have no control over that; but I have control over me. I DID send out an email earlier this week informing families that the main college in our area (10 miles from my house) has had a HUGE surge in COVID positive cases. 600 positive cases since students returned to campus on August 22! As of last week, all students are under shelter in place orders (either in their dorms or off campus housing; they are NOT to go home) for two weeks or until numbers go down. All classes have switched to online format. 600 in a two week period! ANyway, I gave my childcare families this information and asked them to please continue to use caution with their exposure to others. They are well aware that even one positive case in any of their households, will result not only in their quarantine, but also mine and all of the other childcare families.
    Well, I better get busy! The longer I sit, the less likely I am to get anything done. Plus, my coffee is eating a hole in my tummy this morning. Blech. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

We r going to San Diego to look at one, it’s definitely an option cuz it’s a lot lighter in dry weight. We will c.i want to take care of the camp 365 issue before dealing with another one
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,389 Member
    Up, well awake, at 7:00 am on a Sunday. Amazing!
    I am making more chocolate chip cookies today for son mostly. After mailing both middle, and youngest son's boxes with cookies, it really didn't leave much for him, maybe 6. So making more! I with wrap in parchment paper and plastic wrap. I might make a couple for me and put walnuts in those. Also have three bananas waiting to be transformed into banana bread. I am making mini loaves so I will put walnuts in 2 of them. I like walnuts, plus no one else here does, so its my way of claiming them! And also reinforcing that treats aren't forbidden. I am less likely to gobble up theirs if I have my own.

This has been a good week. Tough but good. Down 4+ lbs. Mostly the beginning, drinking a lot of water, phase. I should level off to a lb or two a week.💖

Watched the Navy Midshipman football game against Tulane. They won! I can't recall the ending score but we came from thinking we were gonna lose, to winning!

Sumo wrestling was extra yellish, as many of our favorites did well. The tournament lasts for 15 days, so we enjoy it nightly! We have nicknames for each of the wrestlers! One non native wrestler we have named "Gregg" because he looks like a high school friend of my eldest son's. ( If that friend had suddenly decided to gain 300 lbs!) Another has big sideburns so we call him "Elvis". Other nicknames aren't appropriate to mention. Some are just part of their name. One wrestler is called Sadinoumi, so we just call him Sadman. My favorite is Wakatakakage! I say it over and over until both my guys laugh and say, "will she ever stop"?

Have a good day ladies!
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    Had a prerecorded message on the main phone to say the fridge/freezer is coming between 17.01 and 19.01 tomorrow. (???) :D They will ring half an hour before. That means I won't switch the old one off until the morning.

Made a chorizo, lentil stew for tonight. Yummo!
    Because I don't have any accompanying vegetables we will have Pimientos de Padron for a starter. It will take me back to Spain, when often it was the only green thing on the menu! We adore them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • lcharpentier2
    B)