WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Big day today! No, I haven't been out much. :D
    Going to switch f/f off after breakfast and transfer perishables to cool box. Clean later.
    Need to pop out after exercise and buy whole milk for yogurt making tonight and some bread for lunch.
    Can't decide what to do about dinner tonight, as the new f/f is scheduled to arrive at our dinner time. Might do hummus/falafel wraps with salad. Can buy all that around the corner. Then just assemble, before/after/during. :*

Had an email from the company about covid security and precautions. We will wear masks and open doors and windows. We will have to wash the floor after the old one is removed! Must be filthy behind there. It has been in situ many years, probably 16. :o

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Gwendolen, who had covid back in March. We are going to Fatto a Mano to sit outside. Weather forecast good. I will pick up 10 packs of earplugs I ordered from the pharmacy before I meet her off the train, and then detour past my son's house to drop off Edie's birthday card on the way to Fatto's. Should all be a good, long walk for my bonus calories. Plus seafront. I will need it to burn off the pizza! :o We had to cancel our last meeting as I had a UTI and the weather wasn't good, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her. <3

Faye - I used to be a triangle, and still have broad shoulders, but now I am an hour glass with apple tendencies. :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I hope all goes smoothly with the new refrigerator and it is everything that you want. I hope you enjoy your time with your friend, Gwendolen. :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    DH did not look enthralled by the hummus/falafel suggestion, so it's pre frozen ragu, pasta and spinach.

Freezer defrosted. Still cleaning to do. DH said it's amazing we didn't poison ourselves! :p It doesn't have to be spotless, just not a health hazard, as it will be going to recycling.

Popped out to buy bread etc. Lovely day. I enjoyed washing my hair and putting my face on.
    But I did not enjoy having to search around the house for a suitable sharp implement to open the nozzle of my new tube of tinted sunscreen. Grrr! Good job I wasn't in a hotel room. ;) Why do they do that? Idiots.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Morning all. I have a busy day ahead. We had a CH boiler service about 10 days ago and need a new boiler. It’s getting replaced tomorrow, and I need to clear out my overflow wardrobe and other areas to allow access to the eaves of the house as the also need to replace the flue. Luckily we have money laid by for such contingencies, but it will take all day and they are arriving at 8.30am.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spanish Flu - yes, two years.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

"Lasting from February 1918 to April 1920, it infected 500 million people–about a third of the world's population at the time–in four successive waves. The death toll is typically estimated to have been somewhere between 17 million and 50 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history."

Body shape - hourglass maybe leaning slightly toward pear when I'm heavier.

Mamma Mia 2 - definitely not as good as the first one.
    M in Oz
    I read this in early March. It’s one of the reasons I’m so hot in mask wearing and social distancing.

Body shape: Spoon I think. I always had a waist even at my heaviest weight! 😂

Mamma Mia 2: Definitely not as good as the original.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Oooo
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    :heart:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Good morning ladies!

It is another nice cool morning. I did my workout lasting 45 minutes out on the patio in my old banded custom sports bottoms and the new sports bralette. It won't be long until I break out the sports legging for my morning workout. I was surprised that my balance was better than it has been. I think the lack of outdoor walking was taking a toll on me. About once a month I check my weight and measure. Measuring has always been important to me as while weight may not vary much with fat to muscle conversion, my measure will. Most of my adult life I have measured 36-26-36 with my favorite measure of 36-25-37 in my late 20's and early 30's. Because of broad shoulders, I was never considered an hourglass shape. I had very muscular powerful legs in those days from windsurfing. My weight was always 150-155. This morning's weight at 142 where I seem to be stuck. My goal is 150 as long as it is a muscle, not fat.

This morning I was surprised to find that my extra ab and waist exercises are actually producing results. In April l was 35-28-35. In July 35-27-35 and this morning 35-26-35. Even though I wish I could regain an inch back on my top and bottom, I think it impossible as age and genetics are a factor here. I lost my 36" top and bottom measure last year when my weight dropped to 135 then to 128 because of cancer.

Thanks to all of you that responded to the shape question. I wasn't surprised to find that the majority was an hourglass. Over the years I have noticed that women with the hourglass and spoon figure tend to enlarge proportionally as they gain weight more than other shapes. Also, they tend to decrease more proportional. This is just in general and has always fascinated me.

Faye upriver in the land of the dammed.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Faetta wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you that responded to the shape question. I wasn't surprised to find that the majority was an hourglass. Over the years I have noticed that women with the hourglass and spoon figure tend to enlarge proportionally as they gain weight more than other shapes. Also, they tend to decrease more proportional. This is just in general and has always fascinated me.

Yes, that seems to be true for me.

In a way, that makes it hard to tell when enough is enough. I might gain 5 kg, but it is evenly spread all over so when I look in the mirror, I can't tell. If I continue to gain very gradually what I see in the mirror isn't shocking. It doesn't seem that bad. In fact, I have some outfits that look better when I fill them out a bit more.

Same with losing weight. I have trouble telling. Even when I get down close to underweight, if I'm losing the weight gradually, I don't see the weight loss and keep thinking I need to lose more.

The scale tells me, of course, as does my clothing. It often comes as a surprise when I go to put on a pair of pants and they're either tight or falling off me.

M in Oz
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Good morning all I see your all keeping busy. For me today I believe I will get rid of green tomatoes either salsa or green tomato chow chow. Something like that. The red tomato ketchup is very tasty. starting 5th day this time around. I will share on wed. after tops. My results. So have yourself a great day. Make it a day you won't regret.

Linda in Northern Ontario
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Very interesting!! :smiley::smiley:

Sleeping in may help you live longer
    https://www.bhg.com.au/sleeping-in-may-help-you-live-longer

People who hit the snooze button are smarter than those who don’t
    https://www.bhg.com.au/people-who-sleep-in-are-smarter

Good News From Science: Night Owls Are Smarter and More Creative
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/292961

10 Reasons Why Night Owls Are Smarter People
    https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/10-reasons-why-night-owls-are-smarter-people.html

"However, the leg strength of the people who stayed up later actually peaked to higher levels during the evening!"
    -- this might explain why I prefer exercising in the evening and why on long distance rides I start to feel strong as the afternoon wanes and evening begins!

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Hey all! Got my spare room cleaned up and ready for DD and the boys! It was quite the chore and I feel extremely pleased and accomplished now that it is done! lol The room has become the "catch-all" since March. SO much childcare stuff in there! Most of which was waiting to be cleaned and sanitized. So...it has all been cleaned, sanitized and put into large bins and stored in the basement (where it should have been all along). The room is neat as a pin. All that is left to do is remove the pack n play my childcare kiddo uses, remove my clothes from the closet and put a new pack n play for Miguel and the futon cushion in there. Whew!
    Body shape- Once I made it through, puberty (which wasn't until I was 17), I had an hourglass figure. I now have a larger hourglass figure. It seems odd, but I think that is why it took me so long to see the extra weight. It was so evenly dispersed.
    Mamma Mia- I was kind of lukewarm about the first MM movie (although I like Abba's music); so I probably won't see the second MM movie. Just not my thing. I am not a romance movie girl. I am a pick up your sword/gun/nunchucks and kick some butt movie girl. B)

Kids are arriving fast and furious! I have to fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    We are at the lake house and it has heat lol..will leave tomorrow morning to go home
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Machka- Took me an hour to complete that short post and post it. Then I saw your recent post. I have to giggle. I am married to a night owl and habitual delayed riser. His mood swings are horrible! lol BUT...I think the intelligent people are the ones that are in tune to their bodies circadian rhythm and utilize it. I AM a morning person. Even if I don't set my alarm; my body/brain wakes up between 5 and 6:30 each morning. My most productive time of day is between 10am and 2pm. Hubby got used to his own rhythm (night owl); rising at about 6pm- up all night- then to bed at about 10am, and it was working great for him. Now, he is getting used to the morning shift again. He generally rises about 8am and is ready for kids by 9. He is a bit of a grumpy gus, so I tend to put him in charge of the smaller ones (they are quieter and less confrontational). He is quite tired by dinnertime and goes to sleep, usually, before I do (and sleeps well). Anyway, I think being well rested and less stressed = intelligence. lol
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Took me an hour to complete that short post and post it. Then I saw your recent post. I have to giggle. I am married to a night owl and habitual delayed riser. His mood swings are horrible! lol BUT...I think the intelligent people are the ones that are in tune to their bodies circadian rhythm and utilize it. I AM a morning person. Even if I don't set my alarm; my body/brain wakes up between 5 and 6:30 each morning. My most productive time of day is between 10am and 2pm. Hubby got used to his own rhythm (night owl); rising at about 6pm- up all night- then to bed at about 10am, and it was working great for him. Now, he is getting used to the morning shift again. He generally rises about 8am and is ready for kids by 9. He is a bit of a grumpy gus, so I tend to put him in charge of the smaller ones (they are quieter and less confrontational). He is quite tired by dinnertime and goes to sleep, usually, before I do (and sleeps well). Anyway, I think being well rested and less stressed = intelligence. lol

During the shutdown, I migrated to my happy cycle ... up about 9 am (or slightly later), ready to work about 10 am (or slightly later) ... and in bed somewhere between midnight and 1 am, probably closer to 1 am. That has always felt comfortable for me. I can do other cycles and can do them for lengthy periods of time, but they never feel "right".

Part of it is that there is always so much to do after work.

Work starts too early for me, but nevertheless, there I am.
    I get home from work about 6 pm and that's when all the other works starts: homework, housework, projects, exercise, etc..
    I can't remember a time when I came home from work ... and relaxed. Unless I was sick.
    Fortunately, I get a second wind and can keep going till midnight or later.

Anyway, some of those articles have popped up in my FB newsfeed recently ... they're encouraging to me, a night owl, in a world of early birds. :smiley:

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I am a morning person. Even after surgery when I was taking strong pain meds, I still woke up before 5 AM. As Popeye said "I am what I am".

:) One of my happiness commandments is "don't take things personally". That has served me well in relating to my husband who groans and grumbles all day long about his aches and pains.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    q8fl2883hwhe.png

Happiness 1985

20 Acres
    2 Creeks
    1 Mountain
    Surrounded by forest
    No neighbors
    1000 sq foot self-built cabin
    Springwater
    Fresh air (except in fire season)
    Wildlife
    Independent

wfpkxxeoi3z2.jpg

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Road trip
  • Machka9
    This week is a busy one for me. I've got 5 days of work, 4 appointments, 1 workshop and I really need to get going on the final assignment (still waiting to hear from instructor).

Monday --

Work, of course.

Physio Appointment about my right elbow. It's not much better yet but we're going to work on strengthening the muscles around it. I have very little grip strength in my right arm so I'm easing into being left handed. I'm pretty close to ambidextrous (another physio rated me at 55% right, 45% left in some tests several years ago), but I haven't used my left hand much in recent times.

Brain Injury Association Committee of Management meeting immediately after work and before going home. Long meeting. I had to leave after 1.5 hours (which is what they had scheduled for the meeting) to catch a bus home or I would have been out till about 9:30 pm. They had covered a couple big topics but were still going when I left. As it was, I didn't get home till about 8 pm.

So that's 1 day of work and 2 appointments done!

I got some walking in during all of that too.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    We decided to move the old fridge out so we could clean behind it. We found that it wouldn't go through the kitchen door! :sad: Lots of head scratching. Then I had the bright idea of opening the doors wide so it was narrower. Yes!
    I checked the depth of the new one. About 7cms less deep. Phew! Otherwise we would have to take the kitchen door off its hinges.
    DH took it upon himself to clean out the old fridge. What a hero! :D

My son rang to confirm that they are all coming round on Friday for a belated birthday tea for Edie. :D We will be 7 altogether, but we are telling ourselves that Bea doesn't count. :o Even though its going to be very chilly then, we will have it outside with our coats on. I'm sure they won't stay long. Too cold.
    Today is glorious, perfect weather. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx