What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't think I've ever had a candy apple...they've never looked good to me. But caramel apples! Yes, please, although they should be cut up for easy eating.

My unpopular caramel apple opinion is there should not be anything other than caramel on it. I will tolerate chopped peanuts. A big "NO" to the ones that are covered in various candies, chocolate sauces, crushed cookies, all that crap. Just keep it simple...a good, crisp apple and soft caramel.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    et8zuuojw07d.png
    these are good tho
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    kingscrown wrote: »
    Stevia isn’t a natural sweetener.

Why do you think this?

It is a natural sweetener, that is UNNATURALLY processed. But natural nonetheless.

I am sorry to bother -- I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the topic of artificial/processed vs. unprocessed sweeteners. I use the (unfortunately) processed white stevia powders on occasion, but I've been wanting to find an unprocessed noncaloric sweetener - I'm just uncertain 1) if such a thing exists and, if it does, 2) what that would be and where I could find it.

This thread prompted me to resume my search, and I found this product on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EGL5RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know if this is a natural unprocessed form of stevia?

Additionally, if anyone knows of any unprocessed noncaloric sweeteners, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance. Keep thriving. :)

Stevia, to my knowledge, grows in leaf form. That looks like a powder, so it has absolutely undergone some form of processing.

Thank you for replying!! And, you are so correct (as an aside, I've homegrown stevia in the past, and yes; it does grow in leaf form).
    I am so sorry; I need to be cognizant when using generic terms such as "processed", especially when it comes to the food and diet industry.

When I say "unprocessed" I mean void of ingredients and additives beyond the product in its whole form.
    In the case of stevia, that of course means stevia as an ingredient and nothing else. So, from my understanding, the only thing that makes the stevia product I mentioned in my previous post is that the stevia leaf is ground to a powder form -- there are no chemicals or other ingredients added in the manufacturing process.
    I don't mean to ask you to do more research and I definitely don't expect you to -- please forgive me for asking all these questions! I just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding what I'm reading about the product from their website.
    Thank you, again.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I don't think I've ever had a candy apple...they've never looked good to me. But caramel apples! Yes, please, although they should be cut up for easy eating.

My unpopular caramel apple opinion is there should not be anything other than caramel on it. I will tolerate chopped peanuts. A big "NO" to the ones that are covered in various candies, chocolate sauces, crushed cookies, all that crap. Just keep it simple...a good, crisp apple and soft caramel.

Candy apples are gross. Carmel apples are one of my favorite fall treats. I love mine with peanuts because of the sweet and salty combination, but I agree with you when it comes to all the other toppings. Big NO! Covers up the delicious apple flavor! There needs to be a balance.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

Candy apples are gross. Carmel apples are one of my favorite fall treats. I love mine with peanuts because of the sweet and salty combination, but I agree with you when it comes to all the other toppings. Big NO! Covers up the delicious apple flavor! There needs to be a balance.

I don't think I've ever had a candy apple or realized they were different from caramel apples. When I was talking about candy apples above, I meant caramel, which we used to have occasionally at school around Halloween or at girl scout events. I don't think I've had one as an adult, but they fall in my "food that seems unpleasant because messy or difficult to eat" category.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Why do you think this?

It is a natural sweetener, that is UNNATURALLY processed. But natural nonetheless.

I am sorry to bother -- I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the topic of artificial/processed vs. unprocessed sweeteners. I use the (unfortunately) processed white stevia powders on occasion, but I've been wanting to find an unprocessed noncaloric sweetener - I'm just uncertain 1) if such a thing exists and, if it does, 2) what that would be and where I could find it.

This thread prompted me to resume my search, and I found this product on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EGL5RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know if this is a natural unprocessed form of stevia?

Additionally, if anyone knows of any unprocessed noncaloric sweeteners, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance. Keep thriving. :)

Stevia, to my knowledge, grows in leaf form. That looks like a powder, so it has absolutely undergone some form of processing.

Thank you for replying!! And, you are so correct (as an aside, I've homegrown stevia in the past, and yes; it does grow in leaf form).
    I am so sorry; I need to be cognizant when using generic terms such as "processed", especially when it comes to the food and diet industry.

When I say "unprocessed" I mean void of ingredients and additives beyond the product in its whole form.
    In the case of stevia, that of course means stevia as an ingredient and nothing else. So, from my understanding, the only thing that makes the stevia product I mentioned in my previous post is that the stevia leaf is ground to a powder form -- there are no chemicals or other ingredients added in the manufacturing process.
    I don't mean to ask you to do more research and I definitely don't expect you to -- please forgive me for asking all these questions! I just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding what I'm reading about the product from their website.
    Thank you, again.

The product page says that it has no ingredients other than Stevia, so if you're using "unprocessed" to mean "single ingredient sweetener," then it appears this product would qualify.
  • SuzySunshine99
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I don't think I've ever had a candy apple or realized they were different from caramel apples. When I was talking about candy apples above, I meant caramel, which we used to have occasionally at school around Halloween or at girl scout events. I don't think I've had one as an adult, but they fall in my "food that seems unpleasant because messy or difficult to eat" category.

Nooo they are very different...candy apples are dipped in a bright red hard candy shell. See photo comparison below. Caramel apples are easy to eat if you cut them up! And then you can share...or not. ;)ng34qi20wyc1.jpeg
  • pancakerunner

Nooo they are very different...candy apples are dipped in a bright red hard candy shell. See photo comparison below. Caramel apples are easy to eat if you cut them up! And then you can share...or not. ;)ng34qi20wyc1.jpeg

this is actually news to me... I always thought candy apples were just caramel apples rolled in toppings haha
  • SuzySunshine99

this is actually news to me... I always thought candy apples were just caramel apples rolled in toppings haha

I can't believe I actually looked this up...but, apparently, candy apples were first created in 1908, while caramel apples didn't come along until the 1950s.
  • pancakerunner

I can't believe I actually looked this up...but, apparently, candy apples were first created in 1908, while caramel apples didn't come along until the 1950s.

love the commitment haha
  • SuzySunshine99
    Seafood and cheese do not belong together.

I'm looking at you, lobster mac and cheese....
  • pancakerunner
    Seafood and cheese do not belong together.

I'm looking at you, lobster mac and cheese....

I agree!
  • pancakerunner
    on the seafood topic, I think fried seafood like calamari and coconut shrimp, etc. is gross. I would rather have plain shrimp and squid like in ceviche
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

Did Kraft create caramel apples like Kelloggs created breakfast? :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    on the seafood topic, I think fried seafood like calamari and coconut shrimp, etc. is gross. I would rather have plain shrimp and squid like in ceviche

For me, it depends on how it's done. Rubbery frozen seafood with thick, heavy breading is no good. But, fresh shrimp, calamari, or white fish with a light, crispy, panko crust is really good.
  • SuzySunshine99
    glassyo wrote: »

Did Kraft create caramel apples like Kelloggs created breakfast? :)

Apparently, yes, a sales rep from Kraft invented them. Too bad they didn't market them as "part of a complete breakfast". :D
  • pancakerunner
    spanish rice > fried rice
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2020
    cauliflower or shirataki "rice" > rice :sunglasses:
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member

Why do you think this?

Wow I thought the white stuff was the natural stuff. I'm very interested to know if anyone has the answer. Green? That is unexpected!