Calorie deficits

Sunflowerulove7
Sunflowerulove7 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2020 in Motivation and Support
I had a frustrating week I was under my calorie count all week. I gain 1 lb of muscle and one lb of fat not happy. I hate nutrition stuff

Replies

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    If you are accurately logging and weighing all that you eat and drink then it is probably just water weight. Stick to your plan and exercise for six to eight weeks and weigh yourself a month from now. You should start to see a trend. If you just recently started a new exercise program you have probably gained water weight as it takes the average woman a month to gain 0.25-1 pound of muscle.
  • gladz2014
    gladz2014 Posts: 28 Member
    ok... i needed to hear these responses today.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Those new scales that claim to measure body fat and muscle % are very inaccurate. Don't let that data throw you into a tizzy.
  • Sunflowerulove7
    Sunflowerulove7 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't use a scale, I use the in body machine to measure my body fat, I also have guidance. for that week I up my protein intake and lift weight for one hour everyday. I lost a lot of inches, the scale shows I only gain a pound So yes I did gain muscle and it shows. I was wearing size 42G bra now I wear 38 g
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    So you believe you gained a pound of fat plus a pound of muscle but also lost four inches around your chest all in one week.

As I understand it from reading posts from people who are working to gain muscle and know about these things it takes time to build muscle through a programme of heavy progressive lifting. Is that what you have been doing for the last few months? Or are you new to lifting? If you are new I believe there can be some newby gains but one week is probably not enough time.

Those body machines are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to measuring body fat so though it is a useful tool to measure yourself with over time to find a trend I would not take one reading during one week as gospel.

You need to give it a lot more time to see a pattern. Good luck and come back and let us know how it is going for you in a few weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I don't use a scale, I use the in body machine to measure my body fat, I also have guidance. for that week I up my protein intake and lift weight for one hour everyday. I lost a lot of inches, the scale shows I only gain a pound So yes I did gain muscle and it shows. I was wearing size 42G bra now I wear 38 g

Although the inBody device is one of the better body analysers no it does not, and cannot, actually measure your body fat or muscle. That would require an autopsy and isn't recommended!

It measures your electrical resistance and makes a lot of assumptions from that reading.
    And just like all BIA devices it is badly affected by changes in hydration levels and requires both very consistent conditions from you for each measurement and also the sense to use it to plot a trend and not put misplaced faith in each reading.

I hope your guidance included an explanation of how it works, how important consistency of conditions are and the range of inaccuracy that the device has? If you weren't given that guidance your guide isn't doing a very good job frankly.

If you want to have fun with the machine measure before and after a hard exercise session, before and after downing a pint of water, the day after a big salty meal etc...