Over it-need accountability

I have signed up for so many apps and canceled them within a week, especially weight watchers. I'm just over it. I've gained back 5 lbs since I started back at work at a desk job the end of July. Does anyone else sign up for fitness or weight loss apps and cancel them over and over again? I miss the simple me, being consistent and not overthinking things. I need to lose 30 lbs.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Why are you cancelling them? That seems to be the issue? Are the apps/programs unrealistic for you? Have you set very ambitious goals that aren’t easily achievable? Are you demanding perfection from yourself and quitting when that doesn’t happen? Or otherwise fed up with something that causes the disjoint?

Success in this venture is found in setting reasonable goals and looking for ways to eat/move that you can maintain for life. That is often at odds with people’s expectations of the process (eat nothing but salad/low fat/low carb/low calorie/“diet”/“clean” foods, lose 2+ pounds a week, chastise yourself if you even look at a cookie, workout 2 hours a day, etc).
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    I think when you sign up for too many plans it gets overwhelming. I did weight watchers many years ag and sis well. I also did very well her on MFP but i slipped and I’m back. Maybe sticking to just one plan will seem more doable. I really think this app has something for everyone. Don’t be frustrated try loggin here on MFP for a few weeks. Reach out on the forums and see how it goes. We are living in crazy times you don’t need to stress yourself about your journey. Take it one day at a time
  • amberhilleary20
    amberhilleary20 Posts: 11 Member
    Why are you cancelling them? That seems to be the issue? Are the apps/programs unrealistic for you? Have you set very ambitious goals that aren’t easily achievable? Are you demanding perfection from yourself and quitting when that doesn’t happen? Or otherwise fed up with something that causes the disjoint?

Success in this venture is found in setting reasonable goals and looking for ways to eat/move that you can maintain for life. That is often at odds with people’s expectations of the process (eat nothing but salad/low fat/low carb/low calorie/“diet”/“clean” foods, lose 2+ pounds a week, chastise yourself if you even look at a cookie, workout 2 hours a day, etc).

That is exactly what I do. I was talking to my husband this morning and he said to try the "perfectbody me" app again, but it was all chicken and just not realistic. I told him I am now trying myfitnesspal, commiting to exercise 4 days a week, and just making better choices overall would be way better than all the things I have tried. My example to him was drink water instead of soda or have a good salad before I eat a piece of pizza at a birthday party etc. He did say that made sense. It may take longer to lose that way but it is more realistic for me.

When I did ww i would see people losing 4 pounds their first week, sometimes more, and I would be down like .5-1 lb and I would quit because while I was following the plan, I did not feel good, had headaches, and didn't lose like everyone else. I also quit WW because I would count calories and while I had 5-6 WW points left, I would be way over on my calories.
  • amberhilleary20
    mel35645 wrote: »
    I think when you sign up for too many plans it gets overwhelming. I did weight watchers many years ag and sis well. I also did very well her on MFP but i slipped and I’m back. Maybe sticking to just one plan will seem more doable. I really think this app has something for everyone. Don’t be frustrated try loggin here on MFP for a few weeks. Reach out on the forums and see how it goes. We are living in crazy times you don’t need to stress yourself about your journey. Take it one day at a time

When I did WW I would see people losing 4 pounds their first week, sometimes more, and I would be down like .5-1 lb and I would quit because while I was following the plan, I did not feel good, had headaches, and didn't lose like everyone else. I also quit WW because I would count calories and while I had 5-6 WW points left, I would be way over on my calories.

I am just going to do simple goals and track everything here, participate in forums, and go from there.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @amberhilleary20

You've reached the crossroads. Doing things we don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it all back.

Find exercise you actually enjoy and will do for the rest of your life. We can learn how to moderate ourselves with the foods we like. I have thrown so many weight loss clubs and gym memberships away, throwing money down another rathole.

Do everything on your own terms. Take what you need from a bunch of different sources.

Give yourself permission to rid yourself of all of the dieting dogma that will no longer serve you. Start tracking your data points. Connection matters.

• 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    I know that this has to be a lifestyle change. Years ago I lost 65 pounds on WW but over the years I gained about 37 back. It was so slowly that I really didn't notice it and said things like "you carry it well" (yeah right!) I am horrified when I see pictures now. I know for my health I need to make changes, but I need to make them slowly so I can sustain them. I need to lose the all or nothing mindset. If I have a bad day log it and move on.
    I think it is too easy for a lot of us to feel frustrated if we don't see big changes right away, but I know for me that isn't how it works. I am working with a coach in another program to prevent diabetes and one thing she said is to remember that when we talk about losing .5 to 1 or 2 pounds a week that will be the average. It doesn't mean you will see that every week, some weeks you may stall and another week lose 2 pounds. It helped me to look at my average when feeling frustrated. Good luck, I know you can do this.
  • amberhilleary20
    1poundatax wrote: »
    I know that this has to be a lifestyle change. Years ago I lost 65 pounds on WW but over the years I gained about 37 back. It was so slowly that I really didn't notice it and said things like "you carry it well" (yeah right!) I am horrified when I see pictures now. I know for my health I need to make changes, but I need to make them slowly so I can sustain them. I need to lose the all or nothing mindset. If I have a bad day log it and move on.
    I think it is too easy for a lot of us to feel frustrated if we don't see big changes right away, but I know for me that isn't how it works. I am working with a coach in another program to prevent diabetes and one thing she said is to remember that when we talk about losing .5 to 1 or 2 pounds a week that will be the average. It doesn't mean you will see that every week, some weeks you may stall and another week lose 2 pounds. It helped me to look at my average when feeling frustrated. Good luck, I know you can do this.

I have the all or nothing mentality with everything, I need to lose that too.
  • amberhilleary20
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @amberhilleary20

You've reached the crossroads. Doing things we don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it all back.

Find exercise you actually enjoy and will do for the rest of your life. We can learn how to moderate ourselves with the foods we like. I have thrown so many weight loss clubs and gym memberships away, throwing money down another rathole.

Do everything on your own terms. Take what you need from a bunch of different sources.

Give yourself permission to rid yourself of all of the dieting dogma that will no longer serve you. Start tracking your data points. Connection matters.

Thank you!
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    I love the motivation and support in this challenge: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10810736/just-give-me-10-days-round-127 New 10 days starts tomorrow!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm not one to 'buy' programs. I do have a coworker who will subscribe to WW from time to time, because she figures that if she is paying for it - she's more likely to stick with it.

Building habits/routines is not easy and what works for one does not always work for another. I do pretty well with calories in by logging here at MFP. I have just enough OCD tendencies that I want it to be accurate/complete so I keep logging day by day, and by logging day by day it makes me pay attention to my intake.

I have a harder time with strength training. My current effort (which is off to a good start) is to have a notebook and create a written log of each day. I start w/ the date, track my bottles of water consumed and my cardio. And list out my strength exercises planned for the day. As I mark them off, I also add notes about details. Such as # of reps.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    About the all or nothing mentality... Perhaps think about if/when you may want some push back from your spouse and discuss with him in advance?

I only suggest this because my husband is the all or nothing sort. An example of something he has discussed/asked of me: if he is ordering food and asks for a huge amount, for me to ask him ONCE if he really needs all of that. One bad habit he has is ordering a huge amount 'just in case' he gets hungry again later. Then feeling like he has to finish it all to avoid wasting money. Sometimes it is useful for him to be reminded of this tendency because in the moment it is easy to revert to a bad habit.

I am not suggesting that you have him monitor everything you do. But if you know of a few areas where you may go overboard, enable him to be your safety net.
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member
    I have always been a body positive woman and supporter. Till life happened and I am at a weight where I am uncomfortable with myself! Which makes the struggle real. When your esteem is off it creates a ripple effect. When I have a stressful day I struggle to not go to comfort foods. Still need a course in meal prepping. Have yet to experience accountability. When I slip. I kick myself. Eventually pull myself together but now I have 4lbs to contend with.
    Consistency is the hardest part no matter what app you choose.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm boring and don't sign up for a lot of apps. I hit this one 7 yrs ago and I'm still here. I agree that it has something for everyone. I'm also a creature of habit and that is helpful on MFP. My exercise is always the same (varies during the week, but week to week doesn't change) and so I don't even log it anymore, I just adjust my overall calories until I'm losing or maintaining. I like to cook and cook for the family so that's helpful too. Take a look at your life and start making new habits that are good for you. When I go out for pizza, I eat half and bring the rest home. I also split a desert with my husband. We also just order water. You'd think the restaurant owners would be sick of us. They love it when we come in! We're treated like best friends. I'm always amazed.
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    If you keep canceling is it that you're in the contemplation stage of weight loss? Or you just get unsatisfied w apps? Have an old school journal to document journey? I have a calendar on the wall even though I could use app track weight.
    Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
    edited September 2020
    If you're not finding the kind of support, encouragement, and accountability you need through apps or just trying on your own, it is worth trying a team approach. I know there are many, but hope you'll come and give this one a try - it has worked really well for many people, including me. It is the Fat2Fit Weight Loss Challenge and Support Group. We have six teams of around 25 people. You get to know everyone and work together to keep moving towards your goals. Give it a try for October!

You can explore the group on https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

You'll see the team chat threads under Discussions, full group challenges and discussions under Announcements. The month's schedule is there - explore all around and if you want to sign up, go for it! The sign up is also under Announcements or you can go directly to
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811137/registration-for-new-members-october-2020/p1#
  • shelby5711
    shelby5711 Posts: 45 Member
    I've done the same thing this past year or so, they were either too complicated or not accurate in calories, and I couldn't also look at my food as "points". Used the Noon app for a while but after the initial 5-6 weeks lost interest, and their database isn't that great with inaccurate calories. I need structure, consistency, accuracy and am detail orientated and have found that the myfitnesspal app works the best and decided 71 days ago to go premium, so I could log the time of day I eat, and have a few other features and I have to admit, it's working for me. I've lost 23 lbs. Have about 20 to go. I went to a desk job also 1.5 years ago and omg, gained 25 lbs the first 3 months. then lost it, then gained it back. I just have to log my food. for me, it's simple. it's not always easy, but it IS simple. so I do it. no excuses. and it helps me not overthink.

I have signed up for so many apps and canceled them within a week, especially weight watchers. I'm just over it. I've gained back 5 lbs since I started back at work at a desk job the end of July. Does anyone else sign up for fitness or weight loss apps and cancel them over and over again? I miss the simple me, being consistent and not overthinking things. I need to lose 30 lbs.