First Marathon scheduled for October 2020

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Got word that the Woolworth double I was thinking about doing on Labor Day, September 7, (moved from Memorial Day), has been cancelled. I'm running out of prep races before the October Marathon. If that stays up.
  • pondee629
    Updating for the month of June on my way to the Atlantic City marathon in October, 18 runs, 71 total miles, a long run of 7 miles. However, after the last run of the month (4 miles) I strained my back taking a glass out of the dish washer. Kinda sucks getting older. Going to be off the road for several days until the back gets better. Hope it's not too long.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Got word that the Woolworth double I was thinking about doing on Labor Day, September 7, (moved from Memorial Day), has been cancelled. I'm running out of prep races before the October Marathon. If that stays up.

If you want to run a prep race, fine! But it's definitely not a necessity to define success or failure for your Marathon. I ran a full Marathon having never even seen one in my life, not a half...nothing but a 5k...no prep.races for me. I wasn't going to waste my money for anything less than a Marathon because I wanted it to be my first official race and medal. I ran my first official race on February 16th, a Marathon, without any inkling of what it would even be like...!!! Point is just get out there and train but don't put too much emphasis on a prep race because you can make your own 'prep race.' I am sorry about your back. I hope it feels better very soon.

I'm running my first trail Marathon on September 26th and I've never run on a trail in my life. Father-in-law has run hundreds of different Marathon and he says I should try trail running before just jumping on one. Hhhhmmmm....maybe, but probably not. Ill train on pavement and show up race day for my trail Marathon. I'll probably fall 50 times and get back up to finish it off. This is my mindset, currently. Crazy, yes!!! I couldn't do it if I wasn't...!!! You can do this, you can do this!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ditto's to not needing prep races.
    My 1st marathon was after only having done 1/2 marathons on end of Half ironman triathlons.
    Few 10-15K's were in the yearly mix for fun.
    Probably only 2 months between those events, so a couple recovery weeks after, and a couple taper weeks prior - probably had 1 solid month to get mileage in training up. On a tight schedule.

Since you likely know the glass was merely the "straw", you must have had a good load already building up to hurt your back.

Have you figured out why it was at breaking point already?
    Are you doing any stretching/strength routines to keep balanced?
    Are you doing a hard load training program, or minimum or slightly above? (I could only do 3 runs a week, I became master at minimum)

I think the major thing a prep race would help with if unfamiliar - is the excitement that can occur causing you to start out too fast at the beginning.
    The bane of many new to marathons - starting out too hard for not even that long, using up precious glycogen stores at higher than intended intensity, and hitting that wall later.

I already had GPS usage going on, so confirmed and held to my pace. No wall hit. And no additional carbs eaten.
    My only problem was thinking I felt pretty good enough, and sat on someone's floor that afternoon working on their computer, cross-legged, which I can barely do anyway and usually don't. Huge knee pain next day.
  • pondee629
    As previously reported I hurt my back Wednesday July 1. Since then, for the week ending July 10, I did two runs of 3 (Thursday the 9th) and 6 miles (Saturday). Hoping to get back on track and stay there. Feeling better, though a little sore. Core exercises have been re-introduced.

Thanks to LoveyChar and heybales for their thoughts. Not really sure why it went out but have reincorporated core and "runners" strength training. Using McMillan for those suggestions. Have neglected those and just running.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Updating for the month of June on my way to the Atlantic City marathon in October, 18 runs, 71 total miles, a long run of 7 miles. However, after the last run of the month (4 miles) I strained my back taking a glass out of the dish washer. Kinda sucks getting older. Going to be off the road for several days until the back gets better. Hope it's not too long.

I’m also scheduled to run Atlantic City (postponed from this past spring). Which event are you running? Do you know if they’ll still hold the race? I ask because Broad Street Run (in philly) was just cancelled for October. They moved it to a virtual race.
  • pondee629
    hist_doc wrote: »

I’m also scheduled to run Atlantic City (postponed from this past spring). Which event are you running? Do you know if they’ll still hold the race? I ask because Broad Street Run (in philly) was just cancelled for October. They moved it to a virtual race.

This one: https://www.acraceseries.com/event-information It's a yearly event in October. I've been told that a decision is pending and that all registrants will be notified via e mail when it is made. I guess no news is good news. The one for which I registered was always scheduled for October. Not sure about the one rescheduled from the spring. Hopefully, if cancelled, I'll be able to move to next year's run. I hate "virtual" races. Just a glorified training run.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    hist_doc wrote: »

This one: https://www.acraceseries.com/event-information It's a yearly event in October. I've been told that a decision is pending and that all registrants will be notified via e mail when it is made. I guess no news is good news. The one for which I registered was always scheduled for October. Not sure about the one rescheduled from the spring. Hopefully, if cancelled, I'll be able to move to next year's run. I hate "virtual" races. Just a glorified training run.

I've done many of them, even done some PR's. Depends on how well someone can push themselves without others around.

But generally the support is terrible. Water tables non-existent, start times delayed, no crowds at the end cheering, no traffic control, no massage table or treats laid out.
  • pondee629
    From the Marathon web site: "After significant consideration of the state guidelines, talks with members of our community and city officials, and review of our course, the Atlantic City Marathon Race Series has made the difficult decision to cancel the in - person versions of our races for the remainder of 2020." On to 2021. I have no interest in a virtual race.
  • pondee629
    So, news not withstanding, July was a slow month, what with getting hurt, my back, and extreme heat, 9 runs for 40 miles. Now on to increased base building for my first marathon in 2021
  • LoveyChar
    My Marathon will still be held at the end of September. It's Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon. The same people who are organizing it just held a race two or maybe three weekends ago, so I am pretty sure it won't get cancelled.

I'm sorry yours was...
  • LoveyChar
    My Marathon - Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon is still happening this Saturday and I deferred it to June when the next one is set to take place. I'm so disappointed in myself.

Anyway I wish you luck as I know you will do well. Keep us posted...
  • pondee629
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    My Marathon - Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon is still happening this Saturday and I deferred it to June when the next one is set to take place. I'm so disappointed in myself.

A Marathon in June in Texas sounds hot. (Not in the Paris Hilton way) Good luck.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar wrote: »

A Marathon in June in Texas sounds hot. (Not in the Paris Hilton way) Good luck.

Oh yes, it will be hot! I ran Austin Marathon in February (16th) on a 72 degree day, no comparison. Hopefully there will be lots of shade... Thank you!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    OK, so I need a push to get restarted, Signed up for a virtual race(run). The Routes 1-9 George Washington Bridge to Cape May Ferry, October 1 through December 25, 175 miles total, or about 60 miles a month. Just slacked off since my Marathon was postponed and needed to get going again. Sailing with my brother next week so this all begins on 10/5.

I’m in the Philly area and will virtually train with you if you’d like. All of my races were moved to a virtual platform.

• pondee629
    So, started back up after taking too much time off after the marathon was postponed. Last week was spend on my brothers sail boat sailing the Chesapeake Bay. Yesterday 3.11 miles. I'm now 1.8% into my virtual race from the G.W. Bridge to Cape May NJ, 162 of 170 placement in "Palisades Park". It's a start. Eyes set on the Ridgewood NJ Woolworth Double Memorial Day 2021.
  • pondee629
    With October gone, I am 63.61 miles into my 175 mile run (36.3%) from the George Washington Bridge to Cape May. 63 miles for my first month back ain't too shabby. Just about on schedule to make Cape may by Christmas.
  • pondee629
    November done and now 140 miles to Cape May (84 of 206, 80% of the way there). 35 miles to go and 25 days to do it. Looking good. Keep on, keeping on.
  • pondee629
    edited December 2020
    Finished the 175 miles (Saturday 12/12) two weeks early. yay me. Now to find something else to keep me on the road thought he winter.