Lunch ideas

katb1994
katb1994 Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone

Please can I have some ideas for something I can take to lunch for work? I have access to a fridge kettle and microwave.

Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Quinoa/Rice mix
    Arugula
    Air fry/grilled chicken
    Diced cucumber
    Cherry tomatoe halves
    Feta
    Greek yogurt and hummus (I put in separate container)
    Olives

Tasty Mediterranean chicken salad bowl! Delicious hot or cold.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Air fry sweet potatoes wedges
    Air fry salmon
    Broccoli
    Garlic parmesan popcorn seasoning by "Kernal Seasons"
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    edited September 2020
    We also have a fridge so I take salad most days - always cucumber, radish, spring onions and tomato (but sometimes I add chopped salad tomatoes, sometimes halved cherry toms) and always either lettuce or rocket or salad leaves, but different other ingredients such as avocado, artichokes, olives, palm hearts, grated carrot and bell peppers. I usually make a big bowl that then gets divided into two or three containers, depending on what day of the week it is. My protein changes daily so that, even if the salad part is the same, I vary between chicken, ham, roast beef, cheddar cheese, feta cheese, tinned salmon, sardines, tuna and mackerel.

If I haven't made a salad, I'll grab a portion of curry or stirfry or chilli and a portion of rice from the freezer; they defrost through the morning and I just heat them up in the microwave. I cook bolognese, chilli and different curries and stirfries in bulk and bag them in single-sized portions to freeze. I do the same with rice and bag it up in 100g portions. In all cases, if you flatten the bag as much as possible, it all sits better in your freezer but they defrost quicker too.

I also have a small bag of popcorn or lentil crisps or a chocolate-coated ricecake and a piece of fruit as well.

ETA: I also drizzle on a small amount (10g for a 3-portion salad) of olive oil.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    When I am cooking dinner for me and my husband, I will make an extra portion for my lunch the next day :)
    easy peasy!
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Currently I have hamburger soup. Took all over 30mins from start to finish and made eight meals up 300 cal. I'll probably make tortellini soup next. As soon as fall comes in I make vats of soups and stews.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    When I am cooking dinner for me and my husband, I will make an extra portion for my lunch the next day :)
    easy peasy!

Such a good idea to do prep for multiple plates or multiple days. I often make 3 salads at a time: one for me for lunch at work, one for my husband to eat at home, and a third salad for the next day for me. I do not add 'wet" items like cucumber or tomatoes to the salad that I make for the next day, though. I add those 2 items at the last minute since they are so wet.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually cook up some vegetables and a protein and portion it out for lunches. While I love salads, my work place is cold and I'm ready for a hot lunch. I've been doing a lot of roasted cauliflower with mushrooms and chickpeas. I love it with chipotle chile adobo, but also with curry seasoning and yellow rice. I also take a side of cold veggies (like tomato and cucumber) or a fruit. Sometimes I'll add some baked potato or sweet potato to my lunch.
  • @asthesoapturns how do you make your 300 cal hamburger soup?
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    @courtneynicole100 It's super easy. I make it in my Instant Pot but you could do it on your stove top or in a slow cooker.

Recipe:

2 cups elbow macaroni
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 packet low sodium beef stock
    4-6 cups of water depending on how much broth you like
    1 1/2lb frozen veggies
    1 can tomato soup or tomato paste
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 cup chopped white onion
    1 tsp pepper corn
    2 tsp italian spice blend or whatever herbs you enjoy

First up, brown your hamburger. When it is lightly brown add the diced onion and saute until the onion softens. Add four cups of water, spices, beef stock and frozen veggies as well as diced tomatoes and tomato soup. If using an Instant Pot be sure to deglaze the pot to avoid burn warnings. Add noodles, close the pot with the vent sealed and set the timer for three minutes at high pressure. When the buzzer goes off saying it's done, do a quick release.

Dish out into eight servings, a little over a cup each. If you prefer your pasta firmer, omit it and make it separate to add to meals as you go. I don't might it getting softer so I freeze the soup noodles and all.
  • GreenValli
    Also, don't forget to check My Groups and go to Recipe Swap at the bottom of the Message Boards. There are many good recipes there that have been posted by other members, especially some good ones that include soups and other fall recipes.
  • GreenValli
    Lately I have been making a pot of soup on Sunday... Lunch for the week done! upamaw0p5z54.jpg

Looks SO GOOD!
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    I take warbutons thin bagels to work a lot. I like having them with salmon and philadelphia or chicken and mayo or chicken and pesto. Pasta salad with chicken, peppers and pesto is also nice. I also like taking baked potatoes. Another go to option is cous cous (I like the Indian flavoured one) with pomegranite and either chicken or chick peas
  • pattyescobar76
    pattyescobar76 Posts: 1 Member
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Also, don't forget to check My Groups and go to Recipe Swap at the bottom of the Message Boards. There are many good recipes there that have been posted by other members, especially some good ones that include soups and other fall recipes.

@GreenValli I can't find where this "My Groups" is at?!
  • Runninggrl67
    Runninggrl67 Posts: 12 Member
    We also have a fridge so I take salad most days - always cucumber, radish, spring onions and tomato (but sometimes I add chopped salad tomatoes, sometimes halved cherry toms) and always either lettuce or rocket or salad leaves, but different other ingredients such as avocado, artichokes, olives, palm hearts, grated carrot and bell peppers. I usually make a big bowl that then gets divided into two or three containers, depending on what day of the week it is. My protein changes daily so that, even if the salad part is the same, I vary between chicken, ham, roast beef, cheddar cheese, feta cheese, tinned salmon, sardines, tuna and mackerel.

If I haven't made a salad, I'll grab a portion of curry or stirfry or chilli and a portion of rice from the freezer; they defrost through the morning and I just heat them up in the microwave. I cook bolognese, chilli and different curries and stirfries in bulk and bag them in single-sized portions to freeze. I do the same with rice and bag it up in 100g portions. In all cases, if you flatten the bag as much as possible, it all sits better in your freezer but they defrost quicker too.

I also have a small bag of popcorn or lentil crisps or a chocolate-coated ricecake and a piece of fruit as well.

ETA: I also drizzle on a small amount (10g for a 3-portion salad) of olive oil.

I never thought of the freezer bags for rice or even freezing rice. Will def use this for my lunches!