What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    These ideas are certainly unpopular around here:
    - Kid’s menus at restaurants and kids meals at fast food places should be banned! Kids should eat the same things as adults but smaller portions. When I was a kid my parents would request an extra plate for us kids and share their food.
    - Fake meat is worse for you than meat because it is very processed
    - Gluten free foods are only better for people with Celiac disease or other real gluten issues. Somehow gluten free became an advertising claim that has no significance to most people. But the general public seems to think it’s “healthier”
    - I understand Organic but according to WHO if the entire global population decided to eat only organic there is not enough farmable land mass on our planet to feed the population. So I have a hard time justifying eating organic.
    - Most “natural” claims made by the food industry are false. I trade in “natural” chemicals made in factories.
  • ddavenport6962
    ddavenport6962 Posts: 17 Member
    Olives - the most fowl tasting things god put on earth !!!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    - Gluten free foods are only better for people with Celiac disease or other real gluten issues. Somehow gluten free became an advertising claim that has no significance to most people. But the general public seems to think it’s “healthier”

I'm not a "gluten free" person by any means but I am so glad the gluten-free market exists because now there is a wider variety of pasta available made with peas and beans; these usually have a much higher protein content per calorie so when I'm cutting they come in handy. True, some of them taste like wet newspaper but there are brands that I actually like (mostly the Banza chickpea-based pastas.)

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Olives - the most fowl tasting things god put on earth !!!

But...but...we need them for olive oil.......
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,083 Member
    I hate cabbage - in ALL forms. Cooked it smells like nasty feet. Raw it's like chewing rubberbands. NO. Thank. You. My hubs loves cole slaw, and I can't even fathom why ANYONE would like that nasty stuff.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

This only makes sense if you're starting from the position that processing, in and of itself, makes something "worse" for you. I don't adopt that as a default starting position.

Beyond just being processed, as that is a pretty broad definition, it is about the INGREDIENTS in meat subs. Soy, corn, oils, gums, stabilizers...appalling
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member

This only makes sense if you're starting from the position that processing, in and of itself, makes something "worse" for you. I don't adopt that as a default starting position.

Beyond just being processed, as that is a pretty broad definition, it is about the INGREDIENTS in meat subs. Soy, corn, oils, gums, stabilizers...appalling

Not all the newest at all. Beyond meat is much better. Im vegan but don't really ever use fake meat- if at all really.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    kale is not a superfood
  • pancakerunner
    kale is not a superfood

truth
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Nothing is a superfood. The whole concept is ridiculous. Nutrition is wholistic.

right, but given that kale is marketed as a "superfood" .. as is basically any fruit or vegetable with $$ behind it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    kale is not a superfood

truth

Kale is barely food...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited September 2020
    Nothing is a superfood. The whole concept is ridiculous. Nutrition is wholistic.

right, but given that kale is marketed as a "superfood" .. as is basically any fruit or vegetable with $$ behind it.

So true, like the acai berry trend. And spinach.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Kale is delicious.

(Hey, you said unpopular. Not true.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited September 2020

"Big Kale"? Hmmm. I'm doubtful.

P.S. I like kale.

ETA: That some people - money motivated or not - promote things as "superfoods" does not rebut my point that the whole "superfood" concept is at least a red herring when it comes to nutrition, and possibly an outright bogus idea. The very widespread, diverse claims you're pointing out, in fact, underscore that "superfood = bogus" is an unpopular opinion, which is the point of the thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

"Big Kale"? Hmmm. I'm doubtful.

p.S. I like kale.

Everyone has their own tastes, but I think kale is delicious. Raw kale massaged with salt and olive oil and dressed with pickled red onions or sauteed kale with lots of garlic and red pepper flakes or ribbons of slow cooked kale in a creamy potato soup . . . it really can be quite delightful.