Workout split 4 days/week

Hi!

I started a 4 days a week workout split.

Day 1 – Back and Biceps
Day 2 – Chest and Triceps
Day 3 – OFF
Day 4 – Quads, Hamstrings and Calves
Day 5 – Shoulders, Traps and Forearms
Day 6 – OFF
Day 7 – OFF

But I fear that working each muscle group only once a week is not enough

How do you guys split your workout throughout the week ?

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    A split like that is more for an advanced lifter. Most would be better of with a full body program , or something like an upper body / lower split. That way you are hitting the muscles 2-3 X per week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your goals, capabilities (including your training history) and restrictions (time, injuries, equipment) should be considered before deciding on your program. Plus enjoyment of course, the perfect routine you don't actually do is pointless.

No-one can tell you if you are getting sufficient training stimulus (volume and intensity) to achieve your unstated goal from a bare bones description of body parts. 4 x 20min sessions or 4 x 2hrs for example would make a huge difference to your training load.

My typical routine is 5 to 7 cycle rides plus three upper body strength training sessions but that works for my goals/capabilities/restrictions and unlikely to work for yours unless you are like me - a slightly battered cycling nut with a lot of time to train.
  • weedspot
    weedspot Posts: 29 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    A split like that is more for an advanced lifter. Most would be better of with a full body program , or something like an upper body / lower split. That way you are hitting the muscles 2-3 X per week

I’m currently on a calorie deficit to lose weight on one side and I’m working out to build muscle on the other side.

I looked up the upper body/lower body split and it seems to be what I’m looking for.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I would suggest a program such as Stronglifts. It's geared toward beginners and focuses on compound lifts. You don't need to worry yourself with a bunch of accesory work right now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2020
    How long have you been training? What are your height, weight, and age?

And there isn't enough context to that workout split to know if you are hitting each muscle group more than once a week. There are plenty of muscles that engage multiple groups at once. So there is a possibility you have a good split.

Also, if you are new, any split will yield results. You might get better results if you follow a more rounded program (like found in the link below) but you will still see improvements.

The biggest thing is to find a program you will enjoy and can stick with.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Monday: Lower Body (Squats)
    Tuesday: Upper Body
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lower Body (deadlifts)
    Friday: Upper Body
    Sat / Sun: Rest