Increasing Muscle Mass (DM2 + OMAD + Med)

tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
Following an OMAD ketogenic diet I have FINALLY achieved my METABOLIC goal of putting my 15 years of DM2 into remission.

This is my diet forever. But.

Is it possible for a 63 year old man to gain muscle mass while eating a ketogenic OMAD diet and taking FINASTERIDE for my enlarged prostate?

Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone into di hydroxy testosterone.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    edited September 2020
    tsazani wrote: »
    Following an OMAD ketogenic diet I have FINALLY achieved my METABOLIC goal of putting my 15 years of DM2 into remission.

Is it possible for a 63 year old man to gain muscle mass while eating a ketogenic OMAD diet and taking FINASTERIDE for my enlarged prostate?

Is it possible for me
    Not likely significant. Trying to add muscle on a keto diet isn't ideal because MTOR pathway for growth is inhibited from lack of carbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    How many cals in the one meal ?
  • ninerbuff wrote: »

Is it possible for me
    Not likely significant. Trying to add muscle on a keto diet isn't ideal because MTOR pathway for growth is inhibited from lack of carbs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have to agree with niner. Keto is more of a weight loss/ cutting diet. You’d be hard pressed to add mass...
  • What’s your lifting training history?
    Current weight and height?

From what I’ve read, Keto and OMAD are not optimal for muscle building. I know a few regulars on this thread do low carb and keto so they may chime in. It sounds like you have an eating lifestyle that you are keen to maintain and if so then that’s fine and maybe just add some lifting in and see what happens.

I don’t know anything about your medical condition and how that may impact.

You’ll never know unless you try. If you’re new to lifting, follow an established newbie programme for a few months and see.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    I guess it could be done according to others (link provided below) but I don't much about your medical condition.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/building-muscle-on-keto
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    From what I’ve read keto seems fine
    For the preservation of muscle but appears
    Inferior for hypertrophy for all the reasons @ninerbuff has pointed out. Coupled to your age, hormone levels and eating style I’d say your putting yourself at a disadvantage if hypertrophy is your goal

Reference for those interested

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6724590/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    MT1134 wrote: »
    I guess it could be done according to others (link provided below) but I don't much about your medical condition.

Age matters as well. A "college" age male is likely closer to peak hormones compared to a male over 50 not on TRT.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    MT1134 wrote: »

Age matters as well. A "college" age male is likely closer to peak hormones compared to a male over 50 not on TRT.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Fair enough. I can't speak to these matters in great depth, however, what you're saying makes sense.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

I'm curious:

What part(s) of your future plan would change if the answer were "definitely possible" vs. "definitely impossible"? If "impossible" would you not bother to strength train, for example?

What part of your routine would you be willing to change, if it made a major difference in the probability of making mass gains? Keto? OMAD? The prescription drug that may help you avoid health complications?

If you're just wondering, but wouldn't change anything you're currently doing - which seems reasonable because it appears you're committed to it, and finding it useful in various ways - why not just run the experiment at "best reasonable effort' level, and see what results?

Signed,

64-year-old vegetarian woman who thinks progressive strength training is a really good plan
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I'm going to try the TKD. If my blood sugars go up I'm back to OMAD.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    At the very least, you should consider moving off of OMAD and running a TKD diet. Spreading protein over 3-4 meals will increase MPS. And if you time 30-40g of carbs around your workout it should improve workout performance.

Getting off OMAD shouldn't effect blood sugar if your primary meals are protein and fats. And timing nutrients around workout should provide the use of those carbs intra workout.

But keto and OMAD is not a good route for muscle gains because there is nothing anabolic about fasting.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    OMAD You can do your own research but newer studies say that it contributes to nutritional deficiencies. There's really not much benefit in eating 2400 calories in one hour of time. So much of this stuff is mental and learning new food skillsets will take you much further into that future than eating all of the things at one time.
    Long term weight stability is not easily found. At the 5 year mark, few are left standing with their Maintenance intact.

OMAD is often used as a short-term bandaid for a lifelong struggle with weight and food. An extreme work around or antidote. The struggle is not over when all of the weight releasing is done. It takes years to replace those old behaviors with food.

When the antidote becomes the problem you end up starting over and over and over. Looking for another quick fix to overcompensate for the wild swings back and forth. UP and down.

The OMAD high and the Rebound low. Extremes beget extremes.

• 1975greig
    1975greig Posts: 14 Member
    You tubes Tristan Lee has been on a keto diet for the last 4/5 years, he looks great and keeps around 5%bf, super ripped. I lost 27 pounds on a keto, which was great, but found it hard to stay under 50 carbs daily for a long period of time. Maybe I'll go back to again sometime.