Done cutting, now time to BULK

Options
I recently lost almost 50lbs throughout the end of 2019 to now. For the past few months, I have increased exercise, including weight lifting, and cardio (mainly HIIT style). Now that I’m where I want to be body fat/weight wise (12% and 169lbs) I want to gain more muscle! My goal is around 185lbs @ 10-12% body fat. My calorie intake was 1,800-2,000 during cut phase. Now I’m going up to 2,800. I work out (relatively intensely) 4-6 times weekly and burn about 1k calories each time. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me on my journey?

Thank you in advance!
-Zach

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Get on a structured lifting routine that has a focus on hypertrophy.
  • ztaylor3388
    ztaylor3388 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate it!
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I recently lost almost 50lbs throughout the end of 2019 to now. For the past few months, I have increased exercise, including weight lifting, and cardio (mainly HIIT style). Now that I’m where I want to be body fat/weight wise (12% and 169lbs) I want to gain more muscle! My goal is around 185lbs @ 10-12% body fat. My calorie intake was 1,800-2,000 during cut phase. Now I’m going up to 2,800. I work out (relatively intensely) 4-6 times weekly and burn about 1k calories each time. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me on my journey?

Thank you in advance!
    -Zach

I've been where you are. My advice is to go slow with your calorie increase. It can be tempting to eat too much too quickly, and you have to remember that your body has adapted to lower calories after cutting for so long.

I would weight myself daily and take the average weekly, aiming to gain no more than 1lb a week, with a focus on hypertrophy as mentioned above.

Happy gaining!
  • ztaylor3388
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    If you plan on bulking, my advice wouldn't be workout intensely burning 1k calories each time up to 6x per week.
  • ztaylor3388
    Options
    Yes, I’m going to be cutting my calorie burn forsure and focus more on heavy lifting.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For my next bulk, I'm going to closely monitor bodyfat % and aim for 1.5 - 3 lbs of total weight gain per month. Hitting each muscle twice per week. I'd rather go too slow than too fast.
  • ztaylor3388
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everybody! I’m taking it all in while also doing my own research. Just trying to figure out and individualized plan!