Restaurant healthy go-to meal?

2»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I don't remember, it has been 7 months since I ate in restaurant... :'( But most likely grilled fish and vegetables.
  • My go-to tends to be a grilled chicken sandwich. Available at most restaurants, even unfamiliar ones.

I have a fructose intolerance. So I can't trust most places' grilled chicken sandwiches or steaks or pork chops, because their marinade will contain high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, or honey, all of which will make me very ill. If you are avoiding sugar, that's something to know.

I actually find that diners and Mexican restaurants tend to be pretty safe for me as long as I don't order things like pancakes. (grin) And they don't put sugar syrup on fajitas.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Limit the amount of bread, booze, and dessert. These are the real calorie bombs! Divide your entree in half and take home for another meal.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    So we went to a famous local pizza place.

I had a small personal pizza skillet (no crust). Just cheese, sausage, hamburger, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and sauce in a skillet - very good. It did come with an option of veggies to dip (carrots and celery) or focaccia garlic bread (one piece). I went with the garlic bread.

Had one of their mixed drinks (Key West Lemonades) and a hard cider.

Also had one slice of pizza (wifes) thin crust jalepeno and pineapple.

I saved most of my caloires for dinner and was able to eat about 1200 calories there.

Lost 1.7lbs since yesterday so I guess I didn't totally mess everything up.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    So we went to a famous local pizza place.

I had a small personal pizza skillet (no crust). Just cheese, sausage, hamburger, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and sauce in a skillet - very good. It did come with an option of veggies to dip (carrots and celery) or focaccia garlic bread (one piece). I went with the garlic bread.

Had one of their mixed drinks (Key West Lemonades) and a hard cider.

Also had one slice of pizza (wifes) thin crust jalepeno and pineapple.

I saved most of my caloires for dinner and was able to eat about 1200 calories there.

Lost 1.7lbs since yesterday so I guess I didn't totally mess everything up.

Well, you didn’t lose 1.7 lbs of fat in one day, but it sounds like the sodium bomb you gave yourself didn’t cause water weight gain. 😊
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    As long as the number on the scale keeps going down!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Order a salad with meat and light dressing. Will usually always be under 500 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Grilled shrimp for the win! And, bring a bottle of your favorite light dressing with you. You are probably so familiar with it you will have a pretty good idea of your calories.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I've been making B, L, and D since January. We don't have any 'clean eating' or healthy joints out here in the sagebrush. There's a gas station a few miles down the road. They have hotdogs and condiments. I can make a meal out of that. One hotdog is 260 calories, tack on the condiments, add pine cones and dirt. The hotdog tides me over until I can make it home. ;)
  • Salad
    Order from the appetizer menu rather than the entree menu
    Skip dessert.

Better yet — instead of ‘rewarding’ yourself with a meal out, why not reward yourself with something else:
    - a couples massage
    - a new outfit
    - movie night or live theatre
    - an exercise class
    - a family game night

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    wow, some of the ideas I wouldn't go near. Plain baked potato, salad no dressing. In America, you can pretty much arrange your own meals, in the UK we don't really do substitutes in most places.

I don't really worry about my meals when I go out as it's maybe once a month. My last meal was mushroom & goats cheese burger, side salad, and french fries + ale.

I generally go for fish or chicken dishes.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Try soup as a first course...most are usually lower calorie, and if you get something broth based it can help you feel a little fuller before your meal comes.
  • dragon_girl26
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Limit the amount of bread, booze, and dessert. These are the real calorie bombs! Divide your entree in half and take home for another meal.

I think this tends to be the best strategy, too. The meals in and of themselves can be calorie bombs, but it also doesn't help when the restaurant brings endless complimentary bread or chips and salsa...then if you get a cocktail it could be 300+ calories for just one drink...
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Soups, salads (dressing on the side) and grilled fish
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    I don't seem to find a restaurant worthy in terms of food quality. My ribeye is so much better than a restaurant. It always seems like they up the salt because the meat isn't fresh. Sometimes they use things like soybean oil to cook food in a restaurant.
    I guess I'd say a local restaurant over chain. I'm no help, but w years of healthy cooking I like my cooking better because I know what's in it.
  • I don't seem to find a restaurant worthy in terms of food quality. My ribeye is so much better than a restaurant. It always seems like they up the salt because the meat isn't fresh. Sometimes they use things like soybean oil to cook food in a restaurant.
    I guess I'd say a local restaurant over chain. I'm no help, but w years of healthy cooking I like my cooking better because I know what's in it.

There are very few places for me to go locally where they do it better than I do, and even there it's a question of specialized equipment; I have neither a smoker for barbecue or a tandoor oven, for example. (Although I'm contemplating a tandoor....) At this point, when told they can choose any restaurant for birthday dinners, my partners both say, "Actually, I'd rather eat Alex's cooking." And I would too.

• dragon_girl26
    I don't seem to find a restaurant worthy in terms of food quality. My ribeye is so much better than a restaurant. It always seems like they up the salt because the meat isn't fresh. Sometimes they use things like soybean oil to cook food in a restaurant.

There are very few places for me to go locally where they do it better than I do, and even there it's a question of specialized equipment; I have neither a smoker for barbecue or a tandoor oven, for example. (Although I'm contemplating a tandoor....) At this point, when told they can choose any restaurant for birthday dinners, my partners both say, "Actually, I'd rather eat Alex's cooking." And I would too.

Honestly starting to feel this way myself, especially lately with the COVID stuff. I love the whole process of cooking (and having a tandoor oven would be a dream!) and going out is so expensive. I'm just more inclined to reach for a cookbook than a menu these days..
  • capgordon2774
    capgordon2774 Posts: 52 Member
    Any advice welcome