Hypothyroidism/Hashimotos

Options
would soooo enjoy having more friends. Hi! I’v had hypothyroidism / hashimotos for like 15 yrs. I’m on 125mg levothyroxine or Synthroid. I cant remember. Anyway.. I need to lose like 50 lbs. It’s depressing, frustrating, and I’m so insecure with every every part of my body. My doctor just prescribed me phentermine to help with my binging and help with my metabolism. It’s not really a diet pill, but excellent results. I TOTALLY WOULD LOVE MORE FRIENDS THAT HAVE THIS THYROID ISSUE. It’s hard. Support is everything.
Thank you,
Missy :)

Replies

• lisam1975
    lisam1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey. I also have this. Always happy to have more friends
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and right now I take 150 mg levothyroxine, daily. I've lost 20lbs. in 5 months this year. I was able to do this by cutting inflammatory foods out of my diet, increasing my activity levels, and creating a calorie deficit of 750-900 calories daily.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Be careful with phentermine. Yes it is prescribed but it is basically an amphetamine and studies have shown long term heart damage when using them.
  • pc_girl
    pc_girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's. My doctor also just put me on phentermine, started today. I've previously did a very low calorie diet under my doctors supervision as well, and that was successful. I need surgery so I think they want to speed up the weight loss so they put me on the phentermine. I hope it works as intended.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Hi, Missy. I hope you find success with phentermine and MFP. (Please pay attention to @nooshi713: She's a medical professional.)

I have hypothyroidism, quite severe, now on 162mcg (137+25mcg tablets) levothyroxine, down from 175mcg as an experiment in consultation with my doctor. (Levothyroxine is the generic name of Synthroid.) I've been hypothyroid for over 20 years. Nonetheless, I lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60 in 2015, from obese to a healthy weight, after around 3 previous decades of obesity. I've stayed at a healthy weight since, currently about 125 pounds at 5'5". Hypothyroidism isn't doom to weight loss.

There's a good thread here about hypothyroidism. It was written by an MFP member, a scientist in the hypothyroidism field, himself hypothyroid (no functioning thyroid gland at all, IIRC), who had lost weight by calorie counting. It's worth a read, as sound scientific background. Here's the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

Weight loss isn't necessarily any harder (or easier!) for a properly treated hypothyroid person than for anyone else . . . which doesn't mean it's easy. It just means that hypothyroidism isn't a special kind of doom. At worst, it means that we *may* need to eat a little less than otherwise similar people in order to lose - and even that isn't universal, among hypothyroid people.

Weight loss isn't easy for anyone. Those of us who are hypothyroid just tend to assume the health condition is the reason it's challenging. Maybe, maybe not. For sure, weight loss is possible.

Hang in there. Get help with your binge eating, including therapy if helpful. You can do this. I'm cheering for you!
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy - feel free to add me as a friend if you like, I haven't got any friends on here so you'd be my first :) I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism around 2 years ago and I take 125mg Levothyroxine every day. I've got to be honest and say that I don't find it impacts my ability to lose weight... I've just started and lost 10lbs in January this year. I still struggle with often feeling tired and cold, which makes me want to eat, but I feel like I'm getting to my happy level, where I'm eating enough but also in calorie deficit. Its tough though - so its good to have friends doing the same thing :smile:
  • LoreleiMB66
    LoreleiMB66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I also have Hashimotos and it's gotten so much worse. Even sticking to 1200 calories a day; the weight just doesn't come off. I am 54 years old, 5'7", and I weigh 215 pounds. Y'all feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Me, too. Lost almost 120 pounds in total (more than an entire “me”) and kept it off, so it is totally possible. 💖
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and was diagnosed about 12-13 years ago. Before then, it seemed more challenging for me to lose weight, but I don't know if that was necessarily the cause for my weight gain. I've been on levo 88 mcg and my levels have remained steady, and I've had no issues losing weight.