Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    It is the day of the dreaded scaly monster tomorrow....
    What will the morning bring?
  • cpnknight
    SCALES DAY!

What has this week got in store for me?
    The excitement builds as I step upon the scaly beast and.....

Last week, 317.2 lbs
    This week, 319 lbs

Not the best outcome, but, It is only a couple of pound.
    I have been a bit lackadaisical with my logging. A couple of estimates on high calorie meals that were not up to scratch probably hasn't helped either....
    Still, Rome wasn't built in a day. Time to forget these scores and knuckle down again!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    kevin95630 wrote: »
    I just want to remind everyone of the importance of measurements, especially as a motivator. The scale is a quick and easy way to stay on track, especially once you reach your desired goal. However, it will lie to you along the way!

Especially as you add exercise to your regimen, you may find periods where you don't drop or even gain weight. Measurements are a much more reliable gauge of your progress and overall health.

I had been doing well with my nutrition and caloric boundaries, and yet my weight had increased by a couple of pounds. But then I checked my measurements and found that I had reduced my waistline considerably and even my neck! I quickly went from feeling "what's the point?" to "Hey! This is working!"

Great point Kevin!
    My work clothes are getting baggy, so even though I haven’t measured myself, I can see and feel the difference in my clothes.

Jill 👍
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Last week: 199.6
    Today: 197.4

Kicked a couple more to the curb!

This week’s goal: Keep logging and be mindful of balancing the not so great choices with better ones. Water, water, water--if nothing else, I'm racking up steps with all the extra trips to the bathroom! I also haven't updated my measurements since the start so that's on my list for this week (thank you for the prompt, Kevin).

Donna
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    i am new to this group but not to MFP. I found out last week I need a total knee replacement in my right knee but have to be at BMI of 40. I don't think that will happen this year. Anyone else having same issues? exercise is difficult with pain. We live in a rural area, no gym, no pool, etc. I did buy a recumbent bike and would appreciate any suggestions!!

I am in the same place as you are. Both knees need replaced and I need to lose some pounds. Check YouTube for chair cardio and strength exercises and work up from there. I'm really hoping for surgery in January but gotta make better decisions.
  • jm216
    Check in day! 🍃🍂

Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5
    9/13-212.0
    9/20-213.2
    9/27-212.9

Down .3 pounds this week. I have got to get back to meal planning. I still can’t cut the grass yet 😒,but maybe I can start riding my bike. 😯😄

Jill
  • cpnknight
    After the Scales Day disappointment it was back to the grind today.
    Down to the gym for some lovely weight lifting and about 5 miles on the bikes....
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    After the Scales Day disappointment it was back to the grind today.
    Down to the gym for some lovely weight lifting and about 5 miles on the bikes....

Hi Tone,

I was in the same boat as you...sorry for the boat pun! I like how you’re using it as motivation. Way to work it out!

Jill
  • cpnknight
    jm216 wrote: »
    Hi Tone,

I was in the same boat as you...sorry for the boat pun! I like how you’re using it as motivation. Way to work it out!

Jill

It was a close call yesterday morning Jill....
    I stood in the kitchen feeling like having a "feeling sorry for myself binge" But instead I ate four Ryvita's and headed to the gym.
    I was feeling much better about the gain after going to the gym. It is just one blip along the way....There will probably be more.
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Hi! Hope I can join your group? I'm 53, CW 230 first GW 199, ultimate GW 175. I was going to the gym pretty regularly then Covid. between Covid no gym and Covid food... well, it aint pretty. Took the gym money and bought myself a treadmill. Just got it set up Monday. My plan is one hour of walking a day and TRYING to eat somewhat healthy. I quit smoking years ago and replaced that habit with a pretty bad sugar habit so... sigh. Also trying not to bite my nails. ADD sucks.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    thanks for the encouragement! I am working very diligently on tracking my intake and making better food choices. I know I can do it, and the support here is a huge help!!
  • daydrem_dw
    Making my morning coffee and preparing to slice up an apple for breakfast when the last damned apple cider donut started whispering to me from across the counter. I clanked the coffee mug and fumbled more than necessary in the silverware drawer to drown it out but it just raised it's sugary voice to a shout. Fearing our noisy battle would wake the entire house, I ate it. It's gone, the house it once again quiet, and I can carry on with a day of better choices. Note: it was good but not great, and I know I'm going to be hungry again soon, so now I'm a bit grumpy about wasting the calorie allotment.
  • daydrem_dw
    hap2go wrote: »
    Hi! Hope I can join your group? I'm 53, CW 230 first GW 199, ultimate GW 175. I was going to the gym pretty regularly then Covid. between Covid no gym and Covid food... well, it aint pretty. Took the gym money and bought myself a treadmill. Just got it set up Monday. My plan is one hour of walking a day and TRYING to eat somewhat healthy. I quit smoking years ago and replaced that habit with a pretty bad sugar habit so... sigh. Also trying not to bite my nails. ADD sucks.

Welcome!

I hear you on the nail biting struggle. I'm 56 and have the life-long habit almost beat. My downfall is becoming engrossed in a good book; I resurface to find I've chewed them down to nothing yet again.

• jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »

Welcome!

I hear you on the nail biting struggle. I'm 56 and have the life-long habit almost beat. My downfall is becoming engrossed in a good book; I resurface to find I've chewed them down to nothing yet again.

Omg! I thought I beat my habit of biting my nails until watching last night’s presidential debate. Nope. My nails are gone!
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Hi Tone,

Jill

It was a close call yesterday morning Jill....
    I stood in the kitchen feeling like having a "feeling sorry for myself binge" But instead I ate four Ryvita's and headed to the gym.
    I was feeling much better about the gain after going to the gym. It is just one blip along the way....There will probably be more.

Have you noticed that the “blips” don’t last as long and aren’t as severe as long as you track and log the blips. I find that these setback aren’t as powerful if you face them and count them then move on.

That was my deep thought for the day!
  • jm216
    Hello Getting Fit at Fifty and Beyond friends!

Today is the last day of September. It’s time to look at how far you’ve come and give yourself a little shout out. It can be Scale Victory or a NSV—Non Scale Victory—about how you feel, your accomplishments, whatever you’d like. You deserve a pat on the back!

Jill🍂
  • jm216
    I’ll get this party started 🎉

k3zrl7jkdquj.jpeg

As you know, I diligently started logging on June 1st. Four months of ups and downs—getting Covid, having my appendix removed, and the usual day to day stuff, but I wanna let you know that....

https://youtu.be/B1wOK9yGUYM

🥰Jill
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    aw I hear you about those apple cider donuts. Man are they good when they're good and such a waste of calories when they're not. Can you exercise it away today?
  • daydrem_dw
    aw I hear you about those apple cider donuts. Man are they good when they're good and such a waste of calories when they're not. Can you exercise it away today?

I've already exercised a few crumbs away by kicking myself in the butt! But, yes, I'm remaining positive and the pup will get an extra walk in today : )

I went to the apple orchard with my mom and youngest daughter on Saturday--so much fun and it was a gorgeous New England fall day! I carefully planned for the donut and cider I was going to have. The learning moment was to resist the bargain and buy only as many donuts as needed in the moment (seriously, buying a dozen was cheaper than buying the 8 we needed).
  • cpnknight
    edited September 2020
    Hello Getting Fit at Fifty and Beyond friends!

Today is the last day of September. It’s time to look at how far you’ve come and give yourself a little shout out. It can be Scale Victory or a NSV—Non Scale Victory—about how you feel, your accomplishments, whatever you’d like. You deserve a pat on the back!

Jill🍂

I would Jill but my way of operating is to do a full weights and measures report on the first Sunday of each month.
    At that point I can assess what I have or haven't done and set myself some new targets for the next month. I also now have access to a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer so I can get a read out on the Saturday that will give me some very accurate readings of what is going on...
    Roll on Sunday.....It's Weights and Measures day!