Coronavirus prep

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    debtay123 wrote: »
    What I really HATE- is when someone says "well they were 79 or 89 and they were sickly -so going to die anyway" I mean HOW callous can you be....My own mama lived to be 96-- so just because someone is late 70's or more does NOT mean- It's ok if they get COVID because another person does not want to wear a mask(sigh)

People on other social media sites are saying the same thing about me as a diabetic. Apparently they don't mind possibly killing people as long as they don't have to experience the slight inconvenience of wearing a mask. People are just selfish.

I know :( I wish I believed more in karma.
    I was thinking about all the people in my life, all my loved ones and about 90% have some kind of a condition that could potentially doom them if exposed to Covid. :( And some of these people are in their 20's/30's. My ds is 39, diabetic, and is one of THE most intelligent, kindest most polite and wonderful human being you'd ever want to meet. Should people be able to simply cut him off as unimportant, expendable, not worthy?? I remember a sweet girl I had in my daycare that is diabetic and has Hashimoto's; she must be maybe a teen by now. :( Everyone has more life in them that doesn't need to be cut short by selfish thoughtless people. :( People need to grow up and get over themselves. It's no longer about your rights as to whether you need to wear a mask or not!!!! It's about health. Everybody's. Why risk the chance of spreading this virus???!!! SMFH

I have both type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto's as well... when I mention type 1 diabetes, I sometimes get responses about how I caused it by having a bad diet and therefore it was a choice that I'm in a situation of having higher Covid risk. Except that's also not true with type 1. It's an autoimmune disease and I couldn't have done anything to avoid it at all. While they may be right for most type 2's, that's not even remotely true for type 1's who don't get it as a result of any life choices at all.

Ignore the fools.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    debtay123 wrote: »
    What I really HATE- is when someone says "well they were 79 or 89 and they were sickly -so going to die anyway" I mean HOW callous can you be....My own mama lived to be 96-- so just because someone is late 70's or more does NOT mean- It's ok if they get COVID because another person does not want to wear a mask(sigh)

People on other social media sites are saying the same thing about me as a diabetic. Apparently they don't mind possibly killing people as long as they don't have to experience the slight inconvenience of wearing a mask. People are just selfish.

I know :( I wish I believed more in karma.
    I was thinking about all the people in my life, all my loved ones and about 90% have some kind of a condition that could potentially doom them if exposed to Covid. :( And some of these people are in their 20's/30's. My ds is 39, diabetic, and is one of THE most intelligent, kindest most polite and wonderful human being you'd ever want to meet. Should people be able to simply cut him off as unimportant, expendable, not worthy?? I remember a sweet girl I had in my daycare that is diabetic and has Hashimoto's; she must be maybe a teen by now. :( Everyone has more life in them that doesn't need to be cut short by selfish thoughtless people. :( People need to grow up and get over themselves. It's no longer about your rights as to whether you need to wear a mask or not!!!! It's about health. Everybody's. Why risk the chance of spreading this virus???!!! SMFH

I have both type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto's as well... when I mention type 1 diabetes, I sometimes get responses about how I caused it by having a bad diet and therefore it was a choice that I'm in a situation of having higher Covid risk. Except that's also not true with type 1. It's an autoimmune disease and I couldn't have done anything to avoid it at all. While they may be right for most type 2's, that's not even remotely true for type 1's who don't get it as a result of any life choices at all.

Call me utterly surprised at people's ignorance! I've seen a lot of things that make me angry. When the doctor died in Houston, social media was flooded with comments attacking her weight (which isn't just ludicrous, it's incredibly rude and evil) and saying she must have had preexisting conditions the family wasn't saying.

This whole pandemic has had classical stages of grief. Anger, denial, acceptance. Many seem to be stuck in the denial stage or the anger stage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I had to google "Panglossian" and LOL'd at the picture Merriam Webster used to illustrate this word :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I had to google "Panglossian" and LOL'd at the picture Merriam Webster used to illustrate this word :D

Oh, that's too funny . . .
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 Who knew this would still be going on for all of these months now.

I went to the grocery store and it was just like last winter. No vegetables. No celery, no carrots, no peppers. Nadda. It's Groundhog Day. I'm happy everyone is still here. What will winter bring us.

Yes, for the past few weeks, my Walmart has again been having problems stocking toilet paper and especially paper towels.

I started this thread in response to news about manufacturers warning about potential supply chain disruptions and was interested to see this article about manufacturer's plans for this fall. (I can read the whole article on my iphone in News, but just this in the browser):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/grocers-stockpile-build-pandemic-pallets-ahead-of-winter-11601199000

Grocery stores and food companies are preparing for a possible surge in sales amid a new rise in Covid-19 cases and the impending holiday rush.

Supermarkets are stockpiling groceries and storing them early to prepare for the fall and winter months, when some health experts warn the country could see another widespread outbreak of virus cases and new restrictions. Food companies are accelerating production of their most popular items, and leaders across the industry are saying they won’t be caught unprepared in the face of...

The article goes on to discuss how Hormel, General Mills, Campbells, etc., have still not caught up to normal inventory levels while at the same time supermarkets are trying to stockpile ahead of anticipated demand in constant to their usual "lean inventory" policies.

Coke is still making fewer varieties of drinks. Sorry Fresca lovers.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2020
    I love this article. It should be sent to the "anti-maskers...."

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/09/if-you-dont-want-to-wear-a-mask-come-to-work-with-me.html
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I agree that the article is interesting, complete, and full of scientific comments and reasoning. A little long but I passed it around anyway. If only one or two people read it to the end, I will be happy.

My only critic is that nowhere in the article the authors and/or scientists mention the long-term adverse events of having been infected by the virus. In some paragraphs they mentioned that if you had been infected once (and survived...), you would already have some immunity built up that could be enhanced by a vaccine. Yes, that is true if the first infection didn't make holes in your lungs, affected your circulatory system, or weaken your heart and fogged your brain.

In my opinion, not mentioning the possible long-term effect that even a mild infection could cause, is inappropriate and could be spurring the faulty reasoning that herd immunity can be achieved by natural infection while disregarding morbidity and possible mortality consequences.

Agreed, I found it odd that it didn't ponder on whether this process involves immunity to the organ damage/inflammation being seen in many who get the virus.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I agree that the article is interesting, complete, and full of scientific comments and reasoning. A little long but I passed it around anyway. If only one or two people read it to the end, I will be happy.

My only critic is that nowhere in the article the authors and/or scientists mention the long-term adverse events of having been infected by the virus. In some paragraphs they mentioned that if you had been infected once (and survived...), you would already have some immunity built up that could be enhanced by a vaccine. Yes, that is true if the first infection didn't make holes in your lungs, affected your circulatory system, or weaken your heart and fogged your brain.

In my opinion, not mentioning the possible long-term effect that even a mild infection could cause, is inappropriate and could be spurring the faulty reasoning that herd immunity can be achieved by natural infection while disregarding morbidity and possible mortality consequences.

Agreed, I found it odd that it didn't ponder on whether this process involves immunity to the organ damage/inflammation being seen in many who get the virus.

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed to me that the article's central point was to summarize a group of experts' views about how the course of the virus would proceed at a macro (societal) level, not the individual level. While treatments and vaccines were touched on, they were in that context - impact on the ability of the economy to recover, and so-called "normal life" to resume. I don't feel like the central focus was on exploring the impact of limited immunity on individuals (i.e., would it reduce organ damage), either. Those are important topics, of course, in their own right.

The "long haulers" or other people with permanent damage are a horrifying consequence of the disease, and that does have some macro level impact (overall societal health care costs and productivity loss, for example) but it seems to me that long term health damages have their impact more at the individual human/family level. That doesn't make them unimportant - not at all - but I think it's understandable that it wouldn't be a key point in an article focused on, essentially, "what will be the virus's course at an overall societal (macro) level".
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 Who knew this would still be going on for all of these months now.

I went to the grocery store and it was just like last winter. No vegetables. No celery, no carrots, no peppers. Nadda. It's Groundhog Day. I'm happy everyone is still here. What will winter bring us.

Yes, for the past few weeks, my Walmart has again been having problems stocking toilet paper and especially paper towels.

I started this thread in response to news about manufacturers warning about potential supply chain disruptions and was interested to see this article about manufacturer's plans for this fall. (I can read the whole article on my iphone in News, but just this in the browser):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/grocers-stockpile-build-pandemic-pallets-ahead-of-winter-11601199000

Grocery stores and food companies are preparing for a possible surge in sales amid a new rise in Covid-19 cases and the impending holiday rush.

Supermarkets are stockpiling groceries and storing them early to prepare for the fall and winter months, when some health experts warn the country could see another widespread outbreak of virus cases and new restrictions. Food companies are accelerating production of their most popular items, and leaders across the industry are saying they won’t be caught unprepared in the face of...

The article goes on to discuss how Hormel, General Mills, Campbells, etc., have still not caught up to normal inventory levels while at the same time supermarkets are trying to stockpile ahead of anticipated demand in constant to their usual "lean inventory" policies.

My son's friend is going to make big bucks this year. He's in logistics and they get bonuses based on how well they consolidate shipments. Nature disasters like hurricanes, tornados and now the pandemic provide a lot of opportunities for shippers.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member

sniff sniff :'(
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    There's been a few articles out on Interferons, which as a non-science person, I don't understand all that well at all. But what the studies are apparently saying is that Interferon activity seems to be diminished (or damaged due to genetics) in those that have worse Covid-19 outcomes. This seems like relatively new information.

I have read Green Tea helps to activate interferon activity. Was thinking about switching from coffee back to green tea, but then I think, nah, I like my coffee too much!

Maybe have to add back in more Matcha Tea. My wife was making Matcha Lattes in the afternoons a few times a week for us. We might have to revisit that habit.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200928/Genetic-mutations-hinder-immune-response-in-severe-COVID-19.aspx

https://nutritionfacts.org/2020/06/02/boosting-antiviral-immune-function-with-green-tea/
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    There's been a few articles out on Interferons, which as a non-science person, I don't understand all that well at all. But what the studies are apparently saying is that Interferon activity seems to be diminished (or damaged due to genetics) in those that have worse Covid-19 outcomes. This seems like relatively new information.

I have read Green Tea helps to activate interferon activity. Was thinking about switching from coffee back to green tea, but then I think, nah, I like my coffee too much!

Maybe have to add back in more Matcha Tea. My wife was making Matcha Lattes in the afternoons a few times a week for us. We might have to revisit that habit.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200928/Genetic-mutations-hinder-immune-response-in-severe-COVID-19.aspx

https://nutritionfacts.org/2020/06/02/boosting-antiviral-immune-function-with-green-tea/

Interesting. Interferon-1 is the primary response to influenza virus as well. The virus makes proteins that blunt the activation of IFN-1, so seems plausible COVID could be similar.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member

Hahaha! I wasn't the only one to not remember Voltaire's Candide and the character, Pangloss, that was unrealistically optimistic, even in the face of facts to the contrary...….
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Good article, if you believe in safety measures.

The next few months could get ugly. Here's how to stay safe as the pandemic rages on
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/health/how-to-stay-safe-covid-fall-autumn-wellness-trnd/index.html
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have an appt. for my flu shot on Monday. It used to be you could walk into Walgreens and get one; now you have to make an appt. Oh well, no biggie.