Serious/heavy/deep/real stuff

Replies

• Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    CacoEther wrote: »
    This thread should be mandatory reading for young adults and recommended reading for all adults.

True life and compassion from all perspectives.

I’m really glad it got a foothold. I make a lot of silly, light threads so making this one made me feel particularly vulnerable. I really expected it to drop off after a day or so. I don’t comment in this thread much but I come back and read it often. It helps remind me how human we all are.

I worried it would turn into a contest of who has it the worst, and I’m so glad it hasn’t. I hope anyone feels ‘qualified’ to post here. We all go through our own *kitten*. We all deserve to unload.

This is a hard time of year for me. For no particular reason and for hundreds. I’ve done it medicated and without, but nothing helps as much as feeling like I have people who get it. I’ve been on mfp for years as the goof-off but this year is when I finally felt like i could bare all without fear.

I probably come across as unapproachable and difficult to get to know beyond the jokes, so I’m thankful there are people who push past that undeterred. It honestly has been transformative for me in this last month or so. I’m bad at expressing it but y’all have been my people in ways you’ll never even know.

You are awesome and I'm so happy to see you around here 🤗
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    slessofme wrote: »

Sounds like something Nietzsche would say <3
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    slessofme wrote: »

Sounds like something Nietzsche would say <3

you spelled Nitschke wrong

813aca30a2571b44951510ff567a04db--packers-baby-greenbay-packers.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @MiNinaLisa
    I'm so very sorry. :( Dementia(and Alzheimer's) is absolutely awful and steals away the person little by little and everyone is left feeling helpless because there is nothing you can do. I'm glad this lady friend is in his life and that she has support as well.
    {{Hugs to you}}
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @MiNinaLisa
    I'm so very sorry. :( Dementia(and Alzheimer's) is absolutely awful and steals away the person little by little and everyone is left feeling helpless because there is nothing you can do. I'm glad this lady friend is in his life and that she has support as well.
    {{Hugs to you}}

thank you <3
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    It's hard to imagine what it's like being a caregiver - even if only on occasion - when you yourself are dealing with a major health issue. How bittersweet it must have been to get the pictures and to have seen your step-father.

No matter where he's at mentally and physically right now, perhaps one additional memory to hold on to is the fact that he still knows how important your mother's pictures were to you?

If you don't mind, I'm sending prayers up and across your way @MiNinaLisa
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine what it's like being a caregiver - even if only on occasion - when you yourself are dealing with a major health issue. How bittersweet it must have been to get the pictures and to have seen your step-father.

No matter where he's at mentally and physically right now, perhaps one additional memory to hold on to is the fact that he still knows how important your mother's pictures were to you?

If you don't mind, I'm sending prayers up and across your way @MiNinaLisa

thank you :)
  • ElTriste1973
    ElTriste1973 Posts: 234 Member
    My dad passed a little over a year ago. He was assaulted and robbed exactly one month before he died yet the police says there is no evidence that caused his death. It is torture on me everyday to see such a happy loving man go through what he did in the last month of his life. The trial for the assault is next month. And the thought of it constantly keeps me in a dark place. I’m just ready for it to all be over with so the constant reminder isn’t there and maybe I can start healing. :'(

What an injustice to him and your family. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope you get enough strength to face this blasted trial and get the justice you deserve. May your dad Rest In Peace now.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    So last night someone dropped a bottle of week old wine that was in the fridge on the floor and it broke all over... The wine actually smelled pretty terrible 😣...

I mopped the entire kitchen over and over again with pinesol and now it smells like old wine and lemon... Even worse... 😣😣😣
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    This isn’t news to some of you, but 2.5 yrs ago our house burned down in the middle of the night. We got out literally with the clothes on our backs. My kids were 6 and 8 at the time.

As luck would have it, we owned some rental properties in town and a 3 br apt was vacant. When we moved in, we carried everything we owned in a few plastic bags. The apartment was extremely small, but we were just thankful to have a place. It’s not like we had anything to store anyway.

Two months later, the adjoining building to ours caught fire in the middle of the night. This was perhaps more traumatic than the first one because it created a sense of meaningless chaos in my kids. They started to worry that literally anything could catch fire at any moment. Luckily our building wasn’t damaged, but we couldn’t say the same for their sense of safety and well-being.

We put them both in mental health counseling and after six months or so, they were doing okay enough to discontinue sessions. But this past spring, my daughter (who is now 9) developed night terrors and severe bedtime anxiety to the degree that I was sleeping with her every night.

We took her back to counseling at her request. Months later they determined that she would really benefit from pharmaceuticals. Having used anti-depressants myself, I was both for this and against this. Ultimately we decided to try them.

This week I have graduated from sleeping in her room all night to sleeping in the guest bedroom down the hall. Sometimes she comes and wakes me, but three times this week she was able to go back to her room and fall asleep without me. I’m so happy for her progress and proud that she ever told us she needed the professional help in the first place. As a guilt-prone mom (now there’s a redundancy!) I felt inadequate at times that I couldn’t help her. But mostly I’m just so incredibly thankful to have professional help available and to live in a time where the stigma surrounding mental health issues has largely dissipated. And I’m thankful especially that if nothing else, she is learning that it’s absolutely okay to seek out the help she needs.

Thanks for listening ❤️

What a traumatic experience for everyone. I’m so sorry all that happened to you. But also what a beautiful story about your daughter who sounds amazingly wise beyond her years. You must be so proud of her, I think that’s a parenting-win. I hope that healing can continue for your whole family and it really creates a strong bond for you! 💛
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    What a resourceful and resilient parent you are @CacoEther 😱 Same goes for your little one!
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    This isn’t news to some of you, but 2.5 yrs ago our house burned down in the middle of the night. We got out literally with the clothes on our backs. My kids were 6 and 8 at the time.

As luck would have it, we owned some rental properties in town and a 3 br apt was vacant. When we moved in, we carried everything we owned in a few plastic bags. The apartment was extremely small, but we were just thankful to have a place. It’s not like we had anything to store anyway.

Two months later, the adjoining building to ours caught fire in the middle of the night. This was perhaps more traumatic than the first one because it created a sense of meaningless chaos in my kids. They started to worry that literally anything could catch fire at any moment. Luckily our building wasn’t damaged, but we couldn’t say the same for their sense of safety and well-being.

We put them both in mental health counseling and after six months or so, they were doing okay enough to discontinue sessions. But this past spring, my daughter (who is now 9) developed night terrors and severe bedtime anxiety to the degree that I was sleeping with her every night.

We took her back to counseling at her request. Months later they determined that she would really benefit from pharmaceuticals. Having used anti-depressants myself, I was both for this and against this. Ultimately we decided to try them.

This week I have graduated from sleeping in her room all night to sleeping in the guest bedroom down the hall. Sometimes she comes and wakes me, but three times this week she was able to go back to her room and fall asleep without me. I’m so happy for her progress and proud that she ever told us she needed the professional help in the first place. As a guilt-prone mom (now there’s a redundancy!) I felt inadequate at times that I couldn’t help her. But mostly I’m just so incredibly thankful to have professional help available and to live in a time where the stigma surrounding mental health issues has largely dissipated. And I’m thankful especially that if nothing else, she is learning that it’s absolutely okay to seek out the help she needs.

Thanks for listening ❤️

🤗
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member

Thanks for listening ❤️

oh no 💔 i bet both u and her been so sleep deprived trying to figure it out too :(
    glad to hear it’s getting better 💛
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @CacoEther (HUGS) to you and your family for all you've gone through!!
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member

Thanks for listening ❤️

❤ You're a great mother xox