Home Gym

cgvet37
cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
edited August 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I truly believe gyms will be shut down again, at least where I live. Going three months before was difficult both mentally and physically. I decided it was time for a garage gym. I ordered a Rogue SML-2 squat stand, Texas power bar, Titan adjustable bench, TAG Olympic plates, FRAY bumper plates, and Titan loadable dumbells. More equipment to be added overtime.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I have so stuff in the 3rd stall of our garage. Our gym reopened (but IL the governor will probably shut us down again, even though my gym has had 45k people check in since reopening and no issues) so go there for leg day, upper body work at home. Can use the garage until about November but too cold and will have to shut down until probably March. Will have to do big clean out job to move stuff to the basement.

Sounds like you have a good set up. I saw this article a couple years ago by Dean Sommerset on his personal basement gym. Pretty good in that he explains why he got some things and is skipping others. Some thoughts if you want to expand.

https://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    This whole corona thing happened just as I was considering starting swimming and maybe joining a gym... stuff has partially opened since then? But I kinda don't want to risk it or spend money on it atm. I've gotten myself a 2nd pair of adjustable dumbbells, some resistance bands, a kettlebell, and a new workout mat... I think I'm set for a while (minus maybe getting some heavier weights eventually)
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I got caught of guard when my gym closed in the spring. I had to scramble and get what I could when I could. I am finally set up for now. All I can see is upgrading my rack and bars as needed, and maybe a little more weight, currently have 685lbs of plates.
    DIY 8X8 Platform
    7' Oly bar
    SSB
    685lbs of plates
    Loadable DBs
    Cage
    Adjustable bench
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    l1szj0i3wwqy.png
    this is what I have atm + 2 sets of ankle weights
  • cgvet37
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have so stuff in the 3rd stall of our garage. Our gym reopened (but IL the governor will probably shut us down again, even though my gym has had 45k people check in since reopening and no issues) so go there for leg day, upper body work at home. Can use the garage until about November but too cold and will have to shut down until probably March. Will have to do big clean out job to move stuff to the basement.

Sounds like you have a good set up. I saw this article a couple years ago by Dean Sommerset on his personal basement gym. Pretty good in that he explains why he got some things and is skipping others. Some thoughts if you want to expand.

https://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/

Thankfully my garage is well insulated, even the garage door.
  • cgvet37
    Everything has arrived except for my barbell. They are two weeks past the ship date.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Not pictured above, I also have a concept 2 model B and a life fitness summit climber.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Fantastic basement gym there @Dogmom1978. I wish I had more room to spread out in mine, I would had some more equipment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I truly believe gyms will be shut down again, at least where I live. Going three months before was difficult both mentally and physically. I decided it was time for a garage gym. I ordered a Rogue SML-2 squat stand, Texas power bar, Titan adjustable bench, TAG Olympic plates, FRAY bumper plates, and Titan loadable dumbells. More equipment to be added overtime.

Good planning!

Just curious, what state do you live in? (Or country if not in US.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited September 2020
    The gyms in my county haven't reopened yet (in 6 months).

Fortunately, I have all the gear I need at home. Nothing like the home gym pictured above but more than enough gear to meet my needs.
  • cgvet37
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Good planning!

Just curious, what state do you live in? (Or country if not in US.)

Indiana. We are considered a "hot" state. I'm seeing reports of a surge in cases. So, I have a feeling our Governor will start shutting things down again. I just hope my bar gets shipped soon.
  • Dogmom1978
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The gyms in my county haven't reopened yet (in 6 months).

Fortunately, I have all the gear I need at home. Nothing like the home gym pictured above but more than enough gear to meet my needs.

We started building the home gym over 2 years ago and it took a lot of patience to find the stuff we wanted at prices we were willing to pay. The FT doesn’t really fit, so we had to move the gym mat to make it fit.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    I got a Weider (I know that's not a great brand name) Total Gym knock off for $150 from Walmart. I also have 50 lb Bowflex Dumbbells, but I'm getting too old (and have a bad back) to lift heavy weights with barbells. If I end up getting a barbell, it will likely be for a Landmine setup, which would take care of all my lifting needs. I do around 300 to 400 pushups a week and row a lot, so I work my muscles quite a bit already, I'd just like to do a bit more.

But I've had older model Total Gyms and I bought that Weider one for my stepson around 4 years ago. It's just as good as the Total Gym lower tier ones. For someone like me, that has limited space (we really don't but we have one entire bedroom already filled with cardio equipment and the wife said, "no more!"), it's a great option.
  • Dogmom1978
    Total gyms are low end trash and can be often found for free online (free cycle, offer up, Facebook marketplace, etc). I would recommend no one waste any actual money on one.
  • M93KG
    edited September 2020
    I scored another set of Cap Barbell plates, 335 pounds for $75 from Craigslist. I kept the extra pairs of 25, 35, 10, 5 (they were pretty damn accurate) but sold the rest. Reinvested into new plates from Rep. I had sold my other old mismatch plates sets (5 pairs) over the last few months and saved that too to reinvest.
    2425nn0l7n2o.jpg
    ckhjmvz3r7i5.jpg

Decided against purchasing highly accurate calibrated plates for many reasons, but most of all the costs. I just use these five pairs of Rep plates for squat and deadlift or lower body work.

qe6b8l1aksbx.jpg
    All my change plates now have have a home.

uu4n9bfkpvpf.jpg
    I have a pair of these and two more pair on order. I use these plates for bench and upper body because they are more accurate. 45.8 pounds a piece. Perfect.

• M93KG
    The best thing about a home gym over fees and membership at a globo is that the individual can customize their particular workout space according to their goals and preferred method of training. I love the diversity of it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    M93KG wrote: »
    The best thing about a home gym over fees and membership at a globo is that the individual can customize their particular workout space according to their goals and preferred method of training. I love the diversity of it.

Me too and you scored some great deals as well.