Home Gym

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    How to find cheap equipment:

Shop the used markets in your area. Spend more time there than you do here. Craigslist, offer up, let go, free cycle, Facebook marketplace.

The crazy hot deals go FAST (yesterday C2 model C pm3 in CT for $150 in pristine condition, was marked pending in 5 min on Facebook).

You will miss more deals than you get, no matter how hard you try to get them.

If space is an issue: look for good used deals on adjustable dumbbells (I prefer powerblocks or iron masters; Boflex and similar are not made as well).

Again, if you want cheap junk, you can get boflex gyms and total gyms free fairly easily on any of the above mentioned platforms. Sorry, but they ARE junk, I can’t change that. A better option would be a FID bench and adjustable dumbbells.

If I had no space and had to cut back, I would keep the FID bench, powerblocks, power rack, and FT as my must haves.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    M93KG wrote: »
    The best thing about a home gym over fees and membership at a globo is that the individual can customize their particular workout space according to their goals and preferred method of training. I love the diversity of it.

You are absolutely correct. Also I can listen to my music without wearing earbuds, and I can be as loud as I want to be. I can't wait to cancel my gym membership.
  • cgvet37
    I scored another set of Cap Barbell plates, 335 pounds for $75 from Craigslist. I kept the extra pairs of 25, 35, 10, 5 (they were pretty damn accurate) but sold the rest. Reinvested into new plates from Rep. I had sold my other old mismatch plates sets (5 pairs) over the last few months and saved that too to reinvest.
    2425nn0l7n2o.jpg
    ckhjmvz3r7i5.jpg

Decided against purchasing highly accurate calibrated plates for many reasons, but most of all the costs. I just use these five pairs of Rep plates for squat and deadlift or lower body work.

qe6b8l1aksbx.jpg
    All my change plates now have have a home.

uu4n9bfkpvpf.jpg
    I have a pair of these and two more pair on order. I use these plates for bench and upper body because they are more accurate. 45.8 pounds a piece. Perfect.

Calibrated plates are nice, but unless you are competing on a regular basis, I don't see them being worth it. I haven't weighed my plates, but I'm not really concerned. I bought the same brand as the gym I go to has. They were in stock, when a lot of companies were sold out.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I scored another set of Cap Barbell plates, 335 pounds for $75 from Craigslist. I kept the extra pairs of 25, 35, 10, 5 (they were pretty damn accurate) but sold the rest. Reinvested into new plates from Rep. I had sold my other old mismatch plates sets (5 pairs) over the last few months and saved that too to reinvest.
    2425nn0l7n2o.jpg
    ckhjmvz3r7i5.jpg

Decided against purchasing highly accurate calibrated plates for many reasons, but most of all the costs. I just use these five pairs of Rep plates for squat and deadlift or lower body work.

qe6b8l1aksbx.jpg

uu4n9bfkpvpf.jpg
    I have a pair of these and two more pair on order. I use these plates for bench and upper body because they are more accurate. 45.8 pounds a piece. Perfect.

Calibrated plates are nice, but unless you are competing on a regular basis, I don't see them being worth it. I haven't weighed my plates, but I'm not really concerned. I bought the same brand as the gym I go to has. They were in stock, when a lot of companies were sold out.

I have been competing in powerlifting for the last 6 now entering my 7th year and am also a state ref and certified coach for one of the larger powerlifting federations, but I just couldn't justify all the costs involved. What I have functions just fine and am able to make gains. Big thing for me was if the plates angled deadlifting on the bar -- instead of standing vertical. These plates fit tight and do not angle on the bar. I trained for many years without calibrated equipment and did just fine. I have two pairs of the standard rep plates (4 total) that weigh 47 pounds -- matching pairs. The calibrated 25 kilos discs weigh around 55 pounds. Despite all this, you can't skip on a barbell, if you compete. I think everything else for the home setup is negotiable.

How are you liking the Rep plates?
  • M93KG
    edited September 2020
    The best thing about a home gym over fees and membership at a globo is that the individual can customize their particular workout space according to their goals and preferred method of training. I love the diversity of it.

Me too and you scored some great deals as well.
    I keep a spreadsheet of everything I own and to track incoming and outgoing buys and spends. Other than the Rogue equipment which I purchased new, my gym had been largely funded by pre-Covid flips. I have never wanted to use my families income on my hobby so I have for a long time I have run my home gym as a business. One of the best methods was to find something I wanted in a larger lot, buy that whole lot, keep the item I wanted and flip the surplus to not only get the thing I wanted for basically free, but to raise more funds for the next buy. There are different tactics I use for flipping equipment which I won't go into here.

The 7 pairs of 45's I had before were paid by flipping and buying low, and then selling for profit. It's pretty cool when other people pay for your equipment.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    2425nn0l7n2o.jpg
    ckhjmvz3r7i5.jpg

qe6b8l1aksbx.jpg

uu4n9bfkpvpf.jpg

I have been competing in powerlifting for the last 6 now entering my 7th year and am also a state ref and certified coach for one of the larger powerlifting federations, but I just couldn't justify all the costs involved. What I have functions just fine and am able to make gains. Big thing for me was if the plates angled deadlifting on the bar -- instead of standing vertical. These plates fit tight and do not angle on the bar. I trained for many years without calibrated equipment and did just fine. I have two pairs of the standard rep plates (4 total) that weigh 47 pounds -- matching pairs. The calibrated 25 kilos discs weigh around 55 pounds. Despite all this, you can't skip on a barbell, if you compete. I think everything else for the home setup is negotiable.

How are you liking the Rep plates?

The plates I ordered are from TAG fitness. I agree that a bar is the most important piece of equipment. That's why I went with a Texas power bar. Too bad they can't deliver on the the time frame listed on their website.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    @cgvet37 and @M93KG -- I'm looking into getting a landmine setup. I'm 56 and have a terrible right knee and an off and on bad back, but I'm also not weak either (until hurting my back in 2018, I was a very competitive regional indoor rower, which takes quite a bit of functional strength and endurance. I competed mostly against top flight Crossfitters and former College crew rowers).

I like the idea of a landmine setup because they are so versatile. I think for my purposes, it would be a fantastic investment and aside from a weight bench, all I really still need (or want, I should say).

What bar do you think I should be looking for? A 6 foot Olympic Bar? I've never really been into barbells as my right knee pretty much would buckle structurally under really heavy weights. I will never be mistaken for a power lifter, so the most I'd likely put on it would be around 150 to 200 lbs. and most of the time less than that.
  • cgvet37
    @cgvet37 and @M93KG -- I'm looking into getting a landmine setup. I'm 56 and have a terrible right knee and an off and on bad back, but I'm also not weak either (until hurting my back in 2018, I was a very competitive regional indoor rower, which takes quite a bit of functional strength and endurance. I competed mostly against top flight Crossfitters and former College crew rowers).

I like the idea of a landmine setup because they are so versatile. I think for my purposes, it would be a fantastic investment and aside from a weight bench, all I really still need (or want, I should say).

What bar do you think I should be looking for? A 6 foot Olympic Bar? I've never really been into barbells as my right knee pretty much would buckle structurally under really heavy weights. I will never be mistaken for a power lifter, so the most I'd likely put on it would be around 150 to 200 lbs. and most of the time less than that.

If you are just going to use it for a landmine, a 6 foot Olympic bar would be just fine.
  • MikePfirrman
    @cgvet37 -- thank you, that's the way I was leaning. But it's good to have the confirmation from someone that knows a lot more than I do about it.
  • Dogmom1978

I keep a spreadsheet of everything I own and to track incoming and outgoing buys and spends. Other than the Rogue equipment which I purchased new, my gym had been largely funded by pre-Covid flips. I have never wanted to use my families income on my hobby so I have for a long time I have run my home gym as a business. One of the best methods was to find something I wanted in a larger lot, buy that whole lot, keep the item I wanted and flip the surplus to not only get the thing I wanted for basically free, but to raise more funds for the next buy. There are different tactics I use for flipping equipment which I won't go into here.

The 7 pairs of 45's I had before were paid by flipping and buying low, and then selling for profit. It's pretty cool when other people pay for your equipment.

My entire home gym was entirely funded by pre covid gym flipping and then we just kept going and turned it into a second income. 😊
  • M93KG
    edited September 2020
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

My entire home gym was entirely funded by pre covid gym flipping and then we just kept going and turned it into a second income. 😊
    That's sweet. I should have sold more of my older stuff, but with a future as unpredictable as it is, I really had a difficult time parting with anything since so much flipping it took to get what I had to that point.

I took the skills I learned from reconditioning barbells and plates and rowers and turned that into a business. Its cooled down a bit in these Covid times, but interest is beginning to pickup. I serviced a majority of the Crossfit and functional fitness gyms in a 100 mile radius.
  • M93KG

If you buying a barbell might as well as buy a 7ft barbell anyway. Which one? I'd look for a powerbar from Bells of Steel, Titan, Rep, or even Rogue.Buy the finish that makes sense for you space: if its liable to rust get anything but a bare steel barbell. A basic bushing bar is what you all need.

As far as landmine, look to Titan, Rep etc. The landmine I have is from Sunny Fitness bought on Amazon. It hinges and is reliable and was cheap no thrills.
  • MikePfirrman
    @M93KG - thanks, I appreciate the advice. The advantage (or at least I thought) for the 7ft versus the 6 is the angle if I decide to get the landmine stand down the road, which would really come in handy for my back.

I couldn't find the Sunny Fitness one on Amazon but I'll be getting one that goes in two plates or one that works in either a corner or against a wall as it will mostly be used in my garage. And I don't have the power cage (because I don't need it and can't do the heavy stuff anyway, though down the road maybe for pullups and so I can attach an endless rope machine to it).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

That's sweet. I should have sold more of my older stuff, but with a future as unpredictable as it is, I really had a difficult time parting with anything since so much flipping it took to get what I had to that point.

I took the skills I learned from reconditioning barbells and plates and rowers and turned that into a business. Its cooled down a bit in these Covid times, but interest is beginning to pickup. I serviced a majority of the Crossfit and functional fitness gyms in a 100 mile radius.

Yeah, my husband has started doing some gym equipment serving also. He refurbs rowers, plates (citric acid is magic stuff) and strength equipment.

We got some super rare York plates yesterday for .25 lb. The hubby is on bodybuilding.com a lot and there are some collectible expert guys. Found out these 35 lb deep dish Yorks could sell for as much as $2k. Exciting stuff 😊
  • cgvet37
    edited October 2020
    Once we get everything established I want to work on buying and reselling.
  • cgvet37
    Was able to pick up a Rogue Dog Sled for $150 with the plastic skids. Also, my Texas power bar finally shipped.
  • M93KG
    Looking for some diy hacks here.

I have the Rogue SML-1 and I am looking to add a few things.

1. Band Pegs (but not from Rogue). Titan has a pair that I think will fit my rack
    2. Roller Cups (like these from TITAN)

Has anyone in these forums done anything similar?

For the band pegs, anyone have DIY hardware store hack?
  • cgvet37
    Looking for some diy hacks here.

I have the Rogue SML-1 and I am looking to add a few things.

1. Band Pegs (but not from Rogue). Titan has a pair that I think will fit my rack
    2. Roller Cups (like these from TITAN)

Has anyone in these forums done anything similar?

For the band pegs, anyone have DIY hardware store hack?

Might be able to use a hitch pin for a band peg. If you can find the right size.
  • cgvet37
    I bought a SPUD cable pulley so I can do pulldowns, etc.
  • cgvet37
    Added a Rogue plate tree last week. Next will probably be a sand bag.