First try at c25k

Options
I'm no runner and c25k has shown me how out of shape I am, it has also given me motivation to get back into shape.
I did week 1 day 1 yesterday, I was out of breathe and my lower back, knees and ankles ached to begin with, by the end the aches didn't feel so bad but my breathing definitely needs working on.
I shall use this post to log my progress, look back on and keep me motivated.

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! :) I think you'll be surprised with your progress in a few weeks.
  • Bigslimbelly
    Bigslimbelly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply GummiMundi, I really hope so!

Week 1 day 2
    I started off ok but soon started to feel the aches coming back which seemed to come and go throughout the session. A little niggle in my left knee and calf still remains, it may just be my lack of exercise, though I will keep an eye on it! My breathing is my biggest problem it seems, I really need to set a pace or find my natural pace and work on it.
  • GummiMundi
    Options
    It's okay if you need to slow down a bit in order to catch your breath. You'll have plenty of time to improve speed later on, as you progress. It does get easier with time.
  • Bigslimbelly
    Options
    Thanks GummiMundi, it's a new learning curve but I think I'm on the right track.

Week 1 day 3
    I bought a knee support and decided to take on board some advice i read about jogging at a brisk walking pace as you can walk and talk at that pace.
    It seemed to work. I managed to do the session with little aching, maybe it's just my muscles just adjusting to something new. I'm still working on my breathing but the slower pace seems to be the way to go, thanks again GummiMundi.

Week 1 done and dusted!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting started!

Make sure you have good running shoes and slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation or sing a song while you are running.

Keep up the good work!
  • Bigslimbelly
    Options
    Thank you Just_Ceci.
    I bought some running shoes before I started the c25k. They are alot more comfortable than normal trainers, I use them more than my normal trainers now!
  • Bigslimbelly
    Options
    Having to have a break from it for the moment, sciatica has kicked in and is wreaking havoc like a demon at an exorcism!
  • GummiMundi
    Options
    Having to have a break from it for the moment, sciatica has kicked in and is wreaking havoc like a demon at an exorcism!

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get better soon!
  • KEDGIN3432
    KEDGIN3432 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did to take away the aches and pains was to "invest" in a really good pair of running shoes. I want to a running store, was fitted by a professional, and bought the shoes they recommended. (Ugliest shoes I've ever bought. Made my feet look huge, and....well.) Never had knee pain again.
    Also, keep in mind that shoes manufactures change styles/materials etc about 3 times a year. So, be open minded when going out for your next pair.