What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Nothing is a superfood. The whole concept is ridiculous. Nutrition is wholistic.

right, but given that kale is marketed as a "superfood" .. as is basically any fruit or vegetable with $$ behind it.

"Big Kale"? Hmmm. I'm doubtful.

P.S. I like kale.

ETA: That some people - money motivated or not - promote things as "superfoods" does not rebut my point that the whole "superfood" concept is at least a red herring when it comes to nutrition, and possibly an outright bogus idea. The very widespread, diverse claims you're pointing out, in fact, underscore that "superfood = bogus" is an unpopular opinion, which is the point of the thread.

http://www.americankaleassociation.com/

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22984/the-strange-mystery-of-who-made-kale-famous-and-why.html
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Nothing is a superfood. The whole concept is ridiculous. Nutrition is wholistic.

right, but given that kale is marketed as a "superfood" .. as is basically any fruit or vegetable with $$ behind it.

P.S. I like kale.

ETA: That some people - money motivated or not - promote things as "superfoods" does not rebut my point that the whole "superfood" concept is at least a red herring when it comes to nutrition, and possibly an outright bogus idea. The very widespread, diverse claims you're pointing out, in fact, underscore that "superfood = bogus" is an unpopular opinion, which is the point of the thread.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22984/the-strange-mystery-of-who-made-kale-famous-and-why.html

Meh. Pretty much any commodity food has a marketing association behind it, that does a lot of the same things companies do to market more-prepared or more-processed foods. Everyone once in a while, one hits the ball out of the park. I'm still a skeptic about "Big Kale".

Main point: There are no superfoods.
  • distortedvision78
    distortedvision78 Posts: 43 Member
    edited September 2020
    I struggle to think of any good that I really dislike. I can only thing that comes to mind is tripe / offal. I've never even eaten it but the idea of doing so even makes feel like puking.

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Speaking of "superfoods"...
    Pomegranates are NOT worth the trouble.

My nephew and I had a lot of fun with pomegranates: I had told him the story of Persephone and Hades. He was curious about the fruit that condemned Persephone to half a year underground, so I bought one. My sister refused to let us play with it in her kitchen, so we took the pomegranate, a knife and a bowl of water to the back yard, cut open the pomegranate and used the bowl of water to winnow out the seeds. My nephew had a ball, tried the seeds and liked them. Not enough to sacrifice six months of sunshine, but he liked it.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Ketchup is nasty.
    Anything artificial banana or artificial orange are nasty.

Grilled cheese isnt the same without using the fake Kraft single slices instead of real cheese.

Maple syrup sucks unless it's real, homemade maple syrup with the slight smokey taste from being boiled down over a fire. Even the store bought real maple syrup doesnt compare.
  • pancakerunner

P.S. I like kale.

Meh. Pretty much any commodity food has a marketing association behind it, that does a lot of the same things companies do to market more-prepared or more-processed foods. Everyone once in a while, one hits the ball out of the park. I'm still a skeptic about "Big Kale".

Main point: There are no superfoods.

Agreed!
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    The use of the word "flavor" or "natural" in an ingredient list doesn't mean anything. It will still be a bunch of chemicals combined in a factory to make the food or drink taste good. This was such a let-down when I learned about it. "Natural flavors" are the worst! Such a marketing ploy, and it works. My favorite crackers have these :(
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    The use of the word "flavor" or "natural" in an ingredient list doesn't mean anything. It will still be a bunch of chemicals combined in a factory to make the food or drink taste good. This was such a let-down when I learned about it. "Natural flavors" are the worst! Such a marketing ploy, and it works. My favorite crackers have these :(

ikr? I too was thinking it was such an unassuming ingredient...I didn't question that they ('natural flavorings') would be dubious in nature! The public really need to question and do their research on the stuff they buy - source it and do your homework!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »

My nephew and I had a lot of fun with pomegranates: I had told him the story of Persephone and Hades. He was curious about the fruit that condemned Persephone to half a year underground, so I bought one. My sister refused to let us play with it in her kitchen, so we took the pomegranate, a knife and a bowl of water to the back yard, cut open the pomegranate and used the bowl of water to winnow out the seeds. My nephew had a ball, tried the seeds and liked them. Not enough to sacrifice six months of sunshine, but he liked it.

You proved my point exactly. "Playing" with food might be fun for kids (I liked dissecting pomegranates as a kid, too), but as an adult, it's way too fussy for me, with very little reward.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte wrote: »

You proved my point exactly. "Playing" with food might be fun for kids (I liked dissecting pomegranates as a kid, too), but as an adult, it's way too fussy for me, with very little reward.

Perhaps. But these days, you can buy pomegranate seeds pre-harvested, and enjoy them without going out in the back yard with a bowl of water .... and I personally do like the taste of the seeds and feel they go nicely in a salad as well as on their own.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    In my world, there's always time for pomegranates. I love the meditative process of picking them apart and slowly releasing the succulent morsels one by one. Good thing, since I have a big tree full of them almost ready for harvest.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    There is no superfood.

Yes there is! PEANUT BUTTER! How can it not be?,? It has the power to get so many people addicted! 😂😂😂🥜🥜🥜🥜just kidding of course
  • ejbronte
    In my world, there's always time for pomegranates. I love the meditative process of picking them apart and slowly releasing the succulent morsels one by one. Good thing, since I have a big tree full of them almost ready for harvest.

You have a pomegranate tree?! How very cool. I managed a trip to Italy and saw a couple of pomegranate trees.
  • Kiefer_1
    Kiefer_1 Posts: 21 Member
    You guys have some crazy opinions 😅
  • slytherclawpride
    slytherclawpride Posts: 22 Member
    I do not like cake (unless it's ice cream cake), and I hate the taste and texture of coconut.
  • pancakerunner
    I do not like cake (unless it's ice cream cake), and I hate the taste and texture of coconut.

i used to be weirdly obsessed with ice cream cake until I realized I only like the fudge/cookie layer and the gel icing haha
  • pancakerunner
    I love bacon, but I don't understand bacon-wrapped foods
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Why not? Because all foods are not wrapped in bacon?
  • pancakerunner
    Why not? Because all foods are not wrapped in bacon?

I just don't understand the appeal. Why wrap, say, chicken in bacon when you can enjoy each separately?