Weight No More - September 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,303 Member
    First day of October almost over here - where did the year go?

@pacsnc6 Bear tracks? :open_mouth: Remind me to never go hiking with you. Or in America. NZ is remarkably free of things that try to kill you, and that's just the way I like it!
    @debbiewsharpe doing strength training at 11:45pm is dedication! Also, I have no sense of age through the keyboard, everyone in this group just seems like they're "around my age" to me. So you're all in your 40's (unless I know you're younger) lol. Actually, funny story, I looked up one of the NFL Quarterbacks the other day (Patrick Mahomes). He's 25, his father played Pro baseball, and my brain was thinking, oh, father played, would have been the 70's, maybe early 80s. Nope, his father is 50 and played in the 90s. And I am closer to his father's age than his. Pretty soon I might have to face up to having a kid almost done with high school!
    @melaniedscott I've just cut back on sugar too - all I can say is it does get easier. Sugar definitely makes me crave more sugar, and makes me hungrier. I focus on avoiding added sugars, I'll still eat fruit. But it takes about a week to get rid of the worst cravings. I avoided added sugar for 9 months last year, too much sugar is a migraine trigger for me and if I start eating it I just want more. Don't know why I ever started eating it again.
    @timibotkin Sending you some international virtual hugs. In NZ we say kia kaha - in Maori it means be strong, but more than that it recognises the inner strength that you have, and that it will shine through.
    @kandi3570 I want to steal Oliver and never give him back, so adorable! Also, mushrooms are life. My kids make fun of me because I love them so much!

I know, right? Where did Sept go?

Also, your commentary about "about my age" is so like me. And in my head, the kids I used to babysit are still about the same age as when I left for college...the youngest of which would be...i don't know....30 now? It wasn't 30 or 40 that hurt...it was my baby sister (surprise kid, much younger) turning 30...and after she passed, every year after. She would have been 37 this year...Yikes!

I've always been okay at controlling portions and logging but I think recently once I have one sugary snack, I want another...and another...and then I want something salty to balance all the sweet...and then I'm 200 cals over and the day is already in the handbasket headed south, I may as well have that...sigh. Two days in on avoiding sweets has been successful...I do eat fruit. Apple a day for cholesterol...and maybe whatever looks good. Yesterday was a fruitopolooza...grapes, apple, watermelon, blueberries, pineapple. Yum. Love fruit.

The Maori thing...so cool. we should make a team meme with that. And I second the mushroom love. My aunt used to make comments about mushrooms because of how they grow but that doesn't bother me...maybe because I know how most food is grown and if you start drawing lines...well. I have some shiitakes in my fridge I might do something yummy with tonight...
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    pacsnc6
    Thursday weigh in
    Week 5
    PW: 158.9
    CW: 160
    LTD: 19
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    minstrelofsarcasm
    September Week Five

Weigh In Day: Thursdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 165.2 (September 24th)
    CW (Current Weight): 167.6 (October 1st)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 66.4 lbs

I was very strongly debating asking to be excused this week. Because I knew this was going to happen. I knew I was going to gain. And there's a lot of reasons why I knew it was going to happen, and why I was preparing myself for this moment... and yet, seeing those numbers still hurts. And maybe that hurt is the thing I need to kick me back onto my routine. I need to hold myself more accountable than I have been, even if that means sometimes being disappointed.

The most important thing to recognize right now is that I am sick. This could be Miss Rona (still waiting on test results), could be a head cold causing my MS to flare up, could be a horrendous case of allergies... I don't know yet. But I do know that my immune system is putting in a lot of work, and it needs a lot of water and oxygen and electrolytes to function properly. Admittedly, I have been using that reasoning to consume more salty foods and snack more often, which needs to stop.

Priorities for Next Week:
    • Drink plenty of water, even more than normal
    • Get to bed at a reasonable hour
    • If it is not Covid-19, schedule a strength training session for next week - time to start cross-training if possible
    • If it is Covid-19, try to complete a few 15-minute yoga sessions in the living room every day, or at least get some stretches in
    • Practice patience

bela8nbz7vtr.jpg
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    Welcome, @kittengirl88 !! So glad to have you join us!

@podperson1 and @tryingagain5 -

Impressive losses for the both of you! Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!

@KUMEcyclingteam -

I always wonder how I used to manage eating the way I used to before trying to be healthier. Lots of alcohol, fried foods, etc. Now whenever I eat or drink too much, my body scolds me, much like it's scolding you apparently :lol: Hang in there!

@mainebeachbum -

I remember when my mom got her food scale, she made a soup, then drained each individual ingredient out of it to weigh them because she forgot to weigh them beforehand. I didn't have the heart to tell her that all of the ingredients had likely absorbed some of the broth and would be heavier than they were when raw. She was so upset with her tiny cup of soup because she refused to have more than 200 calories worth.

@Cafelelia -

Crackers and chocolate? Now I'm hungry again. I'm sure they won't have any major lasting impact on tomorrow's weigh in. You've been so consistent with not stress eating that one slip up can't ruin your progress. Hope your week calms down!

@xX_PhoenixRising_Xx -

That's an AWESOME non-scale victory! Glad you're feeling more like yourself :smile:

@melaniedscott -

I might follow your example and get rid of the processed sugars in my kitchen. I have plenty of fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth - I certainly don't need my daily (or hourly) handful of chocolate chips!
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    09/30 steps 17119
  • ibrake4bunnies
    ibrake4bunnies Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks for the welcome everyone :) I'm excited to get started. I'll do my first weigh in officially next week since I chose Wednesdays. I'm focusing on getting outside since the weather is so nice! Although I may have frost in the morning so I have to bring all my plants inside. Everyone have a great day.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,059 Member
    @lennoncpa omg that little dog is so cute. i wish i could foster but i would become too attached. i also do not think my dog would like it. my sons girlfriend fostered a dog and it lasted 4 days before she decided to adopt him.

@1theresamcvean your house guest sounds horrible, i wish you luck in trying to get rid of her. there is obviously some issues with her if her own family doesn't want her.

I was glad to see the scale go down this week. it might be the stress i have had this week. i did try not to stress eat which was a win and i still watched my portion size. i didn't log my food though and i was getting so good at. my surgery is next thursday and i have thought of cancelling it just in case, because we are having some family issues right now and i dont want to be in the hospital and something happens. i am told not to worry and everything will be ok but something tells me otherwise. my son also needs to have another surgery they said they should call him in a few days to set it up. my house is a little crazy right now. hopefully i can keep losing the weight in this chaos. i am going to try to convince my husband to get me that exercise bike i want especially if the doctor says i can't zumba for a while. i forgot to ask that as one of my questions so i will have to wait for my next appointment.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,303 Member
    ljdanny wrote: »
    @lennoncpa omg that little dog is so cute. i wish i could foster but i would become too attached. i also do not think my dog would like it. my sons girlfriend fostered a dog and it lasted 4 days before she decided to adopt him.

That's the point...
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    lennoncpa wrote: »
    3n5b0gf9dw5f.jpeg

This is Fafi at work with me today. He’s starting to get used to me. It started out a little rough as he was very scared, but as you can tell, he’s settling in just fine.

So cute
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx

Great job on those squats! 110 pounds! Wow! My trainer gives me a 12 to 15 pound dumbbell when I do goblet squats. Sometimes 20 or 25 if he thinks I can do it. We haven't done any work on the squat rack.

Thanks! I've been trying to work hard on it. Having a trainer helps.
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Thursday 10/1
    Food: good
    Water: not enough
    Exercise: none

It's been cold here, only 50's for the high temperature and maybe 40's at night. When I got home from work it was only 64 degrees in my condo. I broke down and turned on the heat. I wasn't ready to do that yet but freezing inside my home didn't sound like a good idea either.

I got up early to go to my appointment with the PA today. She thinks the issue with my knee may be a Baker's cyst. I have a prescription to take and she also said rest and ice. No gym for at least the next 10 days.😥. I asked about walking around the neighborhood and she said no. She said ok to do normal daily things but otherwise ice and rest.

The cold feet issue she's not sure yet. She had me do some bloodwork and put in an order for something called an ABI. If I understood her correctly it checks the arterial blood flow. Now I just have to wait for scheduling to call me to set it up.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    @mainebeachbum -

I remember when my mom got her food scale, she made a soup, then drained each individual ingredient out of it to weigh them because she forgot to weigh them beforehand. I didn't have the heart to tell her that all of the ingredients had likely absorbed some of the broth and would be heavier than they were when raw. She was so upset with her tiny cup of soup because she refused to have more than 200 calories worth!

@minstrelofsarcasm
    OMG that is just too much dedication. Lol!

Hope you feel better soon!

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx

Great job on those squats! 110 pounds! Wow! My trainer gives me a 12 to 15 pound dumbbell when I do goblet squats. Sometimes 20 or 25 if he thinks I can do it. We haven't done any work on the squat rack.

Thanks! I've been trying to work hard on it. Having a trainer helps.

Thanks, just remember that I used to be a Personal Trainer and was lifting quite seriously for a few years until injury and health problems stopped me. I'm regaining a lot of what I lost during detraining, but some exercises I'm still on light weights or can't do at all. My husband was also a PT, so that helps. I am so excited to see my progress again though!

I hope your knee recovers soon. Just take it easy, it is far better to take the time to fully recover than push yourself and make the problem worse. Speaking from (unfortunate) experience!
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Thursday checkin
    Steps 8541
    Water 40 oz
    Walk 33 minutes

The cravings are rough this week! I haven’t had a binge but definitely a snack every night!
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 932 Member
    ljdanny wrote: »

@1theresamcvean your house guest sounds horrible, i wish you luck in trying to get rid of her. there is obviously some issues with her if her own family doesn't want her.

I was glad to see the scale go down this week. it might be the stress i have had this week. i did try not to stress eat which was a win and i still watched my portion size. i didn't log my food though and i was getting so good at. my surgery is next thursday and i have thought of cancelling it just in case, because we are having some family issues right now and i dont want to be in the hospital and something happens. i am told not to worry and everything will be ok but something tells me otherwise. my son also needs to have another surgery they said they should call him in a few days to set it up. my house is a little crazy right now. hopefully i can keep losing the weight in this chaos. i am going to try to convince my husband to get me that exercise bike i want especially if the doctor says i can't zumba for a while. i forgot to ask that as one of my questions so i will have to wait for my next appointment.

You have a lot to think about, Tracy. It really is a win not to stress eat. Congrats on that. I'm not sure what stress your family is experiencing but if you can have surgery, at least you can stop worrying about that and be there for them. The bike is a godsend for me and such a happy thing to do. I got the Peloton subscription but a used bike from the community centre and the set up works for me. Good luck either way. You know your family and the balance that you need. Big hugs.
  • 1theresamcvean
    lennoncpa wrote: »
    @ljdanny this is the 12th dog I’ve fostered. I cried when the first one got adopted and kept second guessing my decision. Ever since then I go into it with the knowledge that I’m helping a dog get healthy and feel loved to get them ready for their permanent home. It doesn’t mean I don’t get sad, but I trust my decision now.

Fafi has been nervous and cowering but today at my office he started doing what I call “zoomer dog” you know when they run full speed with their butt hanging down. The sign of happiness. It made me feel so happy for my decision to foster.

qilfc8klr6d8.jpeg

Love, love, love this. You are an angel to dogs, Sheryl.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Thursday 10/1
    Food: good
    Water: not enough
    Exercise: none

It's been cold here, only 50's for the high temperature and maybe 40's at night. When I got home from work it was only 64 degrees in my condo. I broke down and turned on the heat. I wasn't ready to do that yet but freezing inside my home didn't sound like a good idea either.

I got up early to go to my appointment with the PA today. She thinks the issue with my knee may be a Baker's cyst. I have a prescription to take and she also said rest and ice. No gym for at least the next 10 days.😥. I asked about walking around the neighborhood and she said no. She said ok to do normal daily things but otherwise ice and rest.

The cold feet issue she's not sure yet. She had me do some bloodwork and put in an order for something called an ABI. If I understood her correctly it checks the arterial blood flow. Now I just have to wait for scheduling to call me to set it up.

For fun, just tell everyone these are sporting injuries, Linda. It's sort of exhilarating and will help your recovery. :wink: (When I used to be the most active, in my forties, running, cycling, swimming, and training, my son was a teenager. I once had a broken foot and ran on it as well as wearing sling-back, somewhat-high-heel shoes to work. The day after I beat him on our one-fast-mile run, I was at the hospital getting an x-ray for the one-year anniversary of a broken leg. The technician saw that my other foot was broken. When I got home that night, my husband and my son were in awe. They compared me to an NHL hockey player because I had run and beat my son the day before.)
This discussion has been closed.