October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    @kristinajeang Way to go on the Dunder Mifflin 5K! Especially in that weather. And cute kiddos. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave the pictures out there for long though.

@hamsterwheel6 I think getting the shingles vaccine on a Friday is a good idea. I did find it to be pretty painful. But from everything I've ever heard about shingles I would rather have a sore arm for a couple of days than get shingles.

@Tramboman Smart move getting it on your non-casting arm. I hope it's not too sore for too long.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Anyone have any pro tips for dealing with painful, leaky (sorry for TMI) blisters under toenails? My big toe was sore after my long run (silly me, trying to run down a dry river bed in road shoes) on Saturday, and I'd noticed it was a bit purple looking but it wasn't until after this morning's run, when it started hurting again, that I really examined it and found it was raised and the corner (don't ask, it's a weird nail that was operated on 30 years ago and the roots down the sides were killed) was sticking up a lot. When I went to try and cut the corner to stop it catching on anything I found a blister underneath, which has been kinda leaking all day. I'm trying to keep it clean and let it air to dry it out, but dang it hurts and I have a virtual race on Saturday!

I don't think "grit your teeth" is a good answer.
    Maybe get it looked at by a professional?
    A lot can go wrong...
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @rheddmobile how's the finger?

@hamsterwheel6 Thank you! Serious, it is. I haven't run yet this week...

@Tramboman agree for @eleanorhawkins that "grit your teeth," is probably not a good answer. I'm not a doctor. What I would do is probably grit my teeth. But if it were my friend or my child, I'd take them to the doctor.

Note: I am a hypocrite and I have made a deal with my big brother to let me get completely hammered and just rip my toenail off for me. he's the only man for the job.

@eleanorhawkins please don't be like me. Go to the doctor. ;)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    edited October 2020
    @WandaVaughn Where do you live? I don't recall you saying, but Gatlinburg is only a little over 50 miles from my house.

Great run @kgirlhart !

The doctor is probably a good idea @eleanorhawkins . But, my first thought was to soak it in warm Epsom Salts water. That usually helps my feet issues, but I've never had anything like that. It might make it feel better while waiting to see the doctor.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Anyone have any pro tips for dealing with painful, leaky (sorry for TMI) blisters under toenails? My big toe was sore after my long run (silly me, trying to run down a dry river bed in road shoes) on Saturday, and I'd noticed it was a bit purple looking but it wasn't until after this morning's run, when it started hurting again, that I really examined it and found it was raised and the corner (don't ask, it's a weird nail that was operated on 30 years ago and the roots down the sides were killed) was sticking up a lot. When I went to try and cut the corner to stop it catching on anything I found a blister underneath, which has been kinda leaking all day. I'm trying to keep it clean and let it air to dry it out, but dang it hurts and I have a virtual race on Saturday!

If you have a hematoma, what a doctor would probably do is trephinate the nail.

https://windhamhospital.org/health-community/health-news/detail?id=zm6154

I never have the nerve with my own toes but my husband has done it with his toe and it was much improved afterwards. Just be sure to keep it clean.

@Tramboman Rainbow trout is my favorite fish to eat! I don’t know how you have the discipline to throw them back, I would eat them all!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @polskagirl01 thank you and THANK YOU! :) I did not know it was an hour window, so I appreciate that a lot! I just would rather not have the kids pictures out there for the world to see/forever.
    And I see the pictures disappeared from your post, but not where I quoted you. So I just reported my own post 😆 and asked them to take the whole thing down. I have kiddos of my own and totally get it.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited October 2020
    I was going to have salmon for dinner and then thought about @rheddmobile so chicken it is!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. @rheddmobile I know what you mean, there was a time I was incapable of doing anything to myself. I had gestational diabetes and I remembering sitting in the doctor's office (hormones too!) sobbing at the thought of having to prick my own finger to check my sugar levels. Then came childbirth, severe psoriasis... I ended up learning to give myself twice-weekly injections, sometimes with a small child bouncing on the couch! Anyway, I ramble. I think I pretty much already did the same as the trephination thing when I cut it, as I burst the blister. I found some antibiotic cream in the medicine cabinet so I slathered it in that last night and this morning it doesn't seem to hurt and there doesn't seem to be any redness. So today I will let it air and rest and see how it goes. Maybe if it doesn't hurt I will try to put a toe protector thingy on it to run tomorrow... Did I sound like a runner joke there?

When I first had my diabetes diagnosis I would make my husband stick my finger! Now I don’t even think about it, it’s not a thing.

Hoping it feels better tomorrow and the toe protector helps! If the toenail is bulging sometimes the toe protector makes it worse because it makes it larger and more likely to contact the shoe. But at least it keeps it clean.

Usually mine are okay since I started wearing toe protectors, but a while ago I took out the toe NEXT to the toe that usually gets bruised. I guess my socks were on funny that day or something... but anyway I have an entirely fake toenail painted in that space at the moment. Running pro tip: if you paint your toenails purple, no one can tell the difference!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    @marisap2010 You're doing great!!!!

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm going to say 100 miles this month.

exercise.png

Are you still doing the MCM virtual @T1DCarnivoreRunner ?