WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Katla,
    Sending positive thoughts for puppy's procedure.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Linda – let me know what kind of treats you’re looking to make for the holidays. I don’t like peanut butter at all (not that I’m allergic to it, I just don’t like it) so I have lots of recipes for cookies and things that don’t have peanut butter

FINALLY got Vince to take these coins from my father to the coin dealer. They’ve only been sitting on our counter since March. Admitted, for a few months there they weren’t open, but after they were he never went until just now when I “pushed” him. I’m sort-of learning how to push him. Then went to the Aviation Museum. I have things from my father that I’ll never use. Maybe they can. If not, they can throw it out as well as I can. They told me someone would be there, but no one was. Then stopped at a friend’s house to leave these towels on her porch then stopped at the Salvation Army. I found 2 DVD’s that I don’t have!!! One of them I’m excited about, the other I think may be good at certain times, it isn’t all that long.

Pip
    – wonderful doorway entrance. So you two. Very appropriate

Flea – yea for the great results but boo for the things you were told. When Vince wasn’t feeling well, he got a COVID test, too and it was negative. I think he had a reaction to his flu shot. You probably just have (like you said) a seasonal flu/virus

SuziQ
    – yea for the yoga, boo for mother nature. Maybe she will take a calming pill and it won’t rain

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    edited October 2020
    Good grief! 4 pages already.

Barbie Thank you for setting up the new month. 💕💖💕

I scanned through the last few days of September. Will get caught up on October thread tomorrow.

Back story:
    I’m Terri, from Northern Ireland (☘️ Terri)
    March 2014: 227 lbs
    August 2020: 149.8
    Maintaining since Nov 2019 using CI/CO and extra calories from exercise.
    Focus for 2020: improve stamina, strength, and flexibility.

Positive Intentions for October: (same as September. Managed to maintain.)
    🔹Focus ~ strength/stamina:
    Very happy with the results of my efforts since the middle of June.
    Weight stabilised around 150. All my stats are in the normal range for my age/height.
    🔹Weight maintained around 150
    1 August 2019: 171.1
    1 August 2020: 149.8
    1 Sept: : 149.4
    1 Oct: 149.2
    🔹Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3 -> 25.1-> 24.7
    🔹Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7 -> 30.1 -> 30.5
    🔹Calories in the green ✅
    🔹Steps > 7500 ✅
    🔹Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily✅
    (Dancing/Gardening/walking/HIIT/Yoga/Pilates/TaiChi/Circuits)
    🔹Active hours > 6 daily✅
    Some of the Activities I get to do
    Meditation✅ HIIT✅ TaiChi/Yoga/Pilates✅ Dancing✅ walk/jog✅ Gardening✅
    Skype with family✅ Crochet/knit ✅ Embroidery✅ watch TV✅ Puzzles✅
    Watercolour painting✅ Writing✅ Catalogue poetry✅
    Household chores✅ shopping (with social distancing) ✅ Decluttering✅
    Sew masks✅

☘️ Terri

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    SuziQ: Thanks for your good wishes for my dog. He’s a sweetie & we don’t want to lose him. :flowerforyou:

We’re having a "bright, bright, sunshiny day." DH is still in the process of setting up his new computer, and it is a big project. In more usual times, he’d go into Apple in Portland and someone would do it for him or assist him. I don't think they're open to the public inside the stores at this point, but I am guessing and could be wrong. He’s had some advice from an Apple Genius, and I am confident he will succeed.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Thanks SuziQ!

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    O
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Linda in N Ontario: I'd be happy to add something without peanuts to my treat list in case someone can't have peanutbutter. What ideas might be okay? In truth, I suspect we will not have many trick or treaters. There have been very few in our area during the past few years. I suppose that I could get individually wrapped chocolate. I thought about fresh fruit like apples, but many parents would worry about things that aren't wrapped. My grandmother used to have a bowl full of nickles beside her door. As years went by, she shifted to dimes and then quarters.

Katla in NW Oregon

Can you do individual packages of chocolate M&Ms, without the peanuts? Or Skittles or something?

I'm not allergic to peanuts, but they make me very bloated, I feel sick, my abdomen cramps badly, and then there's a painful "explosion" in the toilet.

As a cyclist, some events, especially in the US, like to serve peanut butter and jam sandwiches and that would just be disaster for me on a long ride! I had one lady suggest I open the sandwich and just scrape the peanut butter off!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    I forwarded the test results to our COVID taskforce chair, and she said. Great. But if you still don't feel well, please don't come to campus. Lol

I have been teaching/working remotely this week, and it has given me an opportunity to talk to my students about our sick work culture -- the work culture that assumes you will work even when you are sick. If Brandy (the COVID taskforce person) hadn't specifically told me that I am not welcome on campus, I might have gone to work on Monday. Sad that I had to be told that when I am sick, I should not go to work.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

That's one thing I like about the Australian workplace culture in general and specifically where I work ... the Australian workplace culture provides workers with a decent amount of personal (sick or carers) leave. Not always ... if you're self-employed or if there are frantically busy times, you might not get the leave you need ... but most businesses provide a decent amount of personal leave and expect you to take it if you are sick. We've got signs up all over the place about staying home when sick! And, of course, even more now.

I remember going to work one day in the second place I worked, even though I was feeling less than well, and being told to go home and not come back until I felt well. Even though the Canadian culture is also pretty good, I don't recall being told that!

I've been so thankful for the personal leave since my husband had his accident. I take carer's leave for all his appointments and things, and sick leave for mine. And now, if we're staying home because we're in self-isolation after being tested (like I am today) we don't even have to use our personal leave for that.

I suspect that staying home when sick is going to become very important worldwide because of this pandemic ... and that's a good thing. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Thanks for starting us off fresh for the month Barbie!

Got a surprise package in the mail today. My BFF sent me two bottles of my favorite wine. It used to be available to members of the winery only (which they were, which was where I first tried it). Now anyone can buy it but I'm too cheap to buy it :smiley: . Now I need to her to come visit so we can enjoy it.
    6n4t5ogu0bmn.jpeg

Okie in the TX Hill Country

How do I make the image smaller? I don't get an option for what size to upload?

I use ... a smaller size if I post from Flickr, a photo processing program on my computer (Paint.net is free and pretty good), or I use Snipping Tool to select it and paste it.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Ol Allie has been binge watching Dr Pol on Disney + and now im.gonna hit the hay...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka: I didn’t even think about peanut allergies when I want candy shopping. I bought Reece’s peanut butter cups. Thank you for commenting. Luckily, I have Ghirardelli Intense Dark 71% Cacao in individual wrappers, too. In years past we’ve had only a few trick or treaters, so I chose things that I like. :embarassed: If they can’t eat chocolate, or peanutbutter cups, they can trade with a friend. :devil:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From Action for Happiness ...

"Life is far from perfect, but there are lots of reasons for optimism. Setting positive goals for the future gives our lives a sense of direction and purpose. And although we face many challenges there are also lots of reasons to stay hopeful. By consciously choosing our priorities we can overcome issues, make progress and focus on what really matters."

45msr0bdhq8o.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/optimistic-october

"Look for reasons to be hopeful, even in difficult times"

I mentioned one above ...

I am hoping that this pandemic will make some important changes to our lives, not just now, but into the future:

-- the acceptability of staying home when sick. Even just a little bit sick.
    -- cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! I have to say, it is really nice to get on the bus, and it's clean!
    -- personal hygiene becoming much more important. I think that may become very important in preventing a lot of other things going around.
    -- hand sanitiser at the doors of every shop.
    -- the acceptability of choosing to stay home rather than going out, especially going out into a crowded situation.
    -- distancing!! This is a big one for me because my personal space bubble is large and I'm not keen on strangers being in it. Now it's OK to tell strangers to step out of my bubble.

And I'm hoping for working from home, flexible working hours, school and uni from home and distanced human powered transportation will become mainstream.

There are a lot of good things to hope for! :)

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Barbara - I have never had a self cleaning oven so didn’t know about the fumes. He’s probably onto something a lot of inventions and things have been found years later to be bad for us.

I just love my Granddaughter’s little attitude. As a Mother I would want to stem it some but as a Grandmother I tell my daughter not to diminish her fire. That’s the perk of being a grandmother!
    She begged her Mother all day to come visit us this evening so her Mother asked if we were up for company and maybe I could go for some errands with them. They picked me up from work and we decided that we would grab Subway for my husband and Grandson and us ladies would get supper at the Mall. Michaela pipes up from the backseat, “I love eating dinner at the mall, don’t judge me”.
    Her Mother says “Micki, you’re four I don’t think any of us are judging you”.
    I had a great evening with them, it’s been so long since we’ve been out shopping for pleasure only.

Heather - a very happy birthday to you! I think by the time you see this it will be Friday.
    Tomorrow is also my SIL’s birthday, her and I are about 3 weeks apart in age.

Machka - do you work at home when you have to self isolate or do you get paid sick leave?
    We had a long meeting today discussing how the funding works for pay pending tests and results and when it reverts back to union rules for sick pay, etc.

Lanette - I got rid of all of my larger pants too so right now all of my pants are honesty pants. They are all a little snug right now but I’m working on trying to get it together again. Thankfully I live in PJ’s at home!

I am in bare feet or sandals as long as I possibly can. I hate footwear of any kind and am usually found with my shoes off under my desk at work. At home it has to be very very cold for me to dig slippers out. The last time I bought a batch of socks was 2012 when I was sitting with my Dad in the hospital. They still have life left to them.

Flea - that was a discussion we had today too, the work culture that people have that they will go to work sick. I remember being forced to go to sick in the past. I hope that this is one positive that comes out of this as a long term change. We have to be symptom free for 48 hours before returning.

Pip - love the new decoration in the entryway.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Tracey ... we get paid as though we were working but since I'm not set up to work from home I'm not working.

It doesn't come out of any of my leave allotments.

I bought some socks with cycling in mind in 2016 I think and haven't since.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Faetta wrote: »
    Rebecca I love sweet potato fries, especially with jumbo coconut butterflied shrimp.We also have a few small businesses that folded. Very sad indeed and I will miss those shops. We are having a lot of flu break out here. Several cases of the bird flu and so far a strain covered by this years flu shot. Lately most testing positive and having COVID have had mild cold type symptoms and that is good it seems to be weakening. I am still going to be careful as I always have because of my immune system. A cold can make me very sick.

[
    Faye in mid-Columbia, Or.

Have you seen the new SunChips flavor- Sweet Potato w/ brown sugar-. Husband bought them(they were on sale last week) and picked up a bag. They are so good. Even he liked them and he is not a sweet potato fan.

Debbie
    Napa ValleyCA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline twice, loaded half the brush pile into the trailer
    Bonus: 10 minute fast walk video, vacuumed 30 mins, BGBS,
    Get to do: inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care October
    1: most important goals: sweat some every day, be present with Joe and the dogs. (dancing, BB&B

Dropped 2 of the 5 lbs gained this week to begin October at exactly the same weight as the end of August 143.5

September Summary and October Plan
    Oct 1: 143.5 vs Aug 31:143.5 holding steady foo.
    daily: steps= 29%/23%, vits= 97%/98% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 74%/68% CI<250<CO= 48%35% Tumble 5/10= 106%/65% mfp=100%/74% AF= 55%/65% outside= 87%/52%, up hill=94%/29% cleaning 35%/44%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3= 0%/36%, dance x2=0%/11% walk with Joe and the dogs instead of pack walk x2=25%/50%, rx=100%/100% review progress on 20 for 20: bupkes/. monthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= bupkes.
    October resolve-better than September on the important ones: self-care (BB&B/TC/dance practice/walk up hill/CICO) and continue spend more time with Joe and the dogs.
    Daily: sit next to Joe for at least a little while, weigh, more steps than June average, vits, log, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow, check in mfp, get outside, walk up hill.
    Weekly cleaning 2x half hour, TC or BB&B x 3, dance x 2, Rx and review 20 for 20.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.
    Bonus: AF: , play: , sew something: .

Evelyn how long does your self cleaning oven take? I’ve only done ours overnight and Joe rarely leaves the house for more than a few hours. Glad you’re feeling better, I’d take rapid recovery over conclusive labs any day!
    Heather the very happiest of birthdays to you! It’s only Oct 1 here, but it’s already Oct 2 there. . . ;)
    Carol “. My goals for October are mainly not to gain any more weight and to stay calm around angry people. Also, to listen before I speak.” Great goals!
    Karen in VA thanks for sharing your experience. Think I’ll follow suit, clean spills quickly and avoid the self cleaning option.
    Katla sending healing vibes for Schooner’s successful surgery and swift recovery. Thanks for asking about the sodium intake, Checked the report and even with a little salty popcorn nothing unusual.;)
    ylua02xmm5nz.jpg
    Used to make popcorn balls for Halloween but now everything must be commercially, individually wrapped for safety’s sake. Your choices sound yummy!.
    Flea good to hear from you. One of this pandemic’s silver linings, imho, will be a shift away from our culture requiring us to work when sick.
    Faye I’m with you about polyester, it makes me sweat. Cotton is my preference, with the minimal spandex needed to make whatever it is stretch. I’ve heard people say simply “friend with benefits” without the boy- or girl- prefix.
    Okie belated best birthday wishes and please tell me WHERE can everybody buy the Kunde wine? I’ve not had the red dirt red but used to get their merlot at Trader Joe’s where it hasn’t been for years. My mouth is watering!
    Pip love the new doorway decoration but really love the neon!
    Lisa, Warm and humid today, thought of you while loading the brush pile into the trailer. So glad to hear you’re starting to be able to move a little bit. Hope the antibiotics knock it out completely, and soon.
    Tracey, what you said about the toxic effects of so many "modern improvements." No more self cleaning the oven for us.

Time to snoooozzzzzzzzzzze.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 1, weigh: 1, steps>5491=5610 vits=1 log=1 CI<CO=1 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=2 mfp=1 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF= play= sew=2
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited October 2020
    Thank you all for your birthday wishes! :D<3 IT IS TODAY!
    Of course, opportunities are limited, not the least because we have a named storm blowing in and I can hear the wind and rain!
    I will pursue my normal activities, crank up a 900+ calorie burn and have a delicious dinner with champagne. DH hasn't cooked the Crème Brulée yet, but he intends to. ;) I am cooking skate and asparagus.
    Lunch will be a slice of sourdough, multigrain bread from my favourite bakery with avocado and salami from the deli. I think it’s called Finocchia. Arugula. Cherry tomatoes.

The cleaner is coming early, so I need to run around and empty bins etc. Want to wash my hair. My son is popping round at 3 pm. I'm expecting the doctor to call for a phone consultation. When I take DH his tea in a minute I'm expecting to find Santa has come early! :D<3 Mysterious parcels have been arriving. My main present was my lovely phone.

Hope to have a nice relaxing, enjoyable day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx