Easy Ideas to "Spruce Up" Tuna?

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 350 Member
So I bought some tuna and mayo with some pita bread to have as an easy meal that's not too high in calories, but now it just sounds bland and I'm not in the mood for it.

I was thinking of going back to the store and buying some chipotle mayo or something to give it a little more flavor but I'm also curious on what you guys do? Looking for super little prep time ideas!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't do tuna, but to add excitement to my chickpea salad I'll do chopped vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, fennel, asparagus, artichoke hearts, jalapenos, red bell pepper), nuts (walnuts, cashews), or chopped pickles.
  • ehju0901
    I mash a quarter of an avocado into plain tuna (1/4 goes a long way, but if you want you could add half) and pepper/red pepper flakes and some lemon juice. With some sliced tomato and lettuce on that pita bread, it sounds like a great meal.

Lemon juice and some red pepper flakes actually sound pretty good, and I'm not much of a red pepper flake kind of person haha. Thanks for the tip!
  • ehju0901
    I don't do tuna, but to add excitement to my chickpea salad I'll do chopped vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, fennel, asparagus, artichoke hearts, jalapenos, red bell pepper), nuts (walnuts, cashews), or chopped pickles.

I can eat pickles all day long. Cashews are a new idea! I'd give that a try!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Furikake
  • Curvybaja55
    Curvybaja55 Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2020
    My daughter's tuna salad tuna, mayo, mustard, fresh garlic, red onions, red pepper flakes, red peppers, shredded carrots and dried cranberries or raisins. All on garlic naan this is a fully loaded sandwich. She also includes cheese and avocado she trying to gain weight not counting calories.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Furikake

I thought you had started this and was going to chastise your naughty ways.

Truthfully, I like a few potato chips on my tuna sandwiched between some whole grain toast. I'm a fancy gent.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I like tuna salad made with tuna, lemon juice, pepper, chopped onion, chopped green olives, and mayo. This I put on toasted bread, especially pita, but can mix it in with lettuce and other greens.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Tuna tacossss!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Tuna, light miracle whip, dill pickle relish, chopped onion, chopped celery, 1/4 tsp lemon juice.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Salade nicoise.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/saladenicoise_6572

For the dressing, just thin down the commercial mayo with a little wine vinegar and olive oil and add some garlic powder instead of making from scratch as in the above recipe.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    ^^ She knows where it's at and how to cook anything. I've learned so much from her food ideas.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    s131951 wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Furikake

I thought you had started this and was going to chastise your naughty ways.

Truthfully, I like a few potato chips on my tuna sandwiched between some whole grain toast. I'm a fancy gent.

Furikake is a thing. A tasty, sprinkle it everywhere (and NOT just rice) thing which comes in many flavours, such as...

y627m1jb7jep.jpg

Sidenote: @Diatonic12 the person in your new PP is amazingly beautiful. Do you mind sharing who it is?
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Tuna with mayo and red delicious apple. Sooo good.
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    i never thought of green olives. *writing that down*
    i like to add sriracha to the mayo, dill pickle, salt, pepper, lemon juice, minced capers and minced celery.
    i just wish tuna wasn't so full of mercury... :o
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    My ideas are super simplistic - almost too simple to be considered "ideas" - and they're pretty similar to a lot of the recommendations other pal'ers posted here --
    but I want to share anyway!! :)

Whenever I have tuna in water, I add a combination of some sorts using the following:
    • salsa (fresh or jarred, if the ingredients get my personal "stamp of approval")
    • mustard
    • hot sauce
    • liquid aminos
    • powdered seasonings: e.g. garlic celtic salt, turmeric, dill weed, red pepper flakes, cayenne, Mrs. Dash, cumin
    • horseradish
    • shredded cabbage
    • cilantro
    • green onion
    • shirataki rice
    • chopped kelp noodles
    • dill pickles
    • diced celery
    • diced cucumber
  • ehju0901
    g5qhd0t5lxik.jpg
    My family likes pasta w tuna and green olives.

Olives sound good!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    My go-to tuna salad has olive oil, dijon mustard, cornichons, and shallot. I don't hate mayo, but I don't love it, and the dijon adds a nice kick. Cornichons > gherkins because they're not syrupy sweet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Eat it raw with some sweet vinegar rice and seaweed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png