WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    I was going to compare my sept goals listed here to accomplishments, but since I was away in early sept I didn't post any so at least I can say I didn't miss any goals for the 1st time!

lol!

With COVID its sometimes easier to spend less.

I totally agree with you- We are spending so much less. I have only been in Walmart one time in the past seven months. We are finding we don't NEED to go out shopping every day(husband loves to shop). Trying to do better using what we have on hand instead of buying more. He is spending a lot more than before on Amazon and other online ordering(he was bad about it before, just increased his buying online). We are eating out a LOT less which is hard on him- he prefers to eat out than at home even though I think I am a good cook, have been told by others that I am, anyways.
    Add on that they have lifted the number of hours retirees can work, he is working a lot more so more money coming in- He used to be limited to 63hrs a month or loose his pension for the month if he went over, even 15min. They lifted the limit for three months, then another three months and then end of last month, lifted it indeffinately-(sp?)- He works graveyard shifts to limit exposure to customers. Was working 15 hrs a week and now closer to 40hrs a week.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    edited October 2020
    Stat for the day-
    Walk w/family, Apple Watch- 2hrs 35min, 28sec, 3.07ap, 148elev, 84ahr, 137mhr, 8.36mi= 724c
    Strava app- 1013c
  • pipcd34
    Happyyyyy bdayyyyyyyy to cityjanelondon And anyone else

Katla hope ur pooch is ok
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    Debbie
    Napa ValleyCA
    , I love Sun Chips! I will have to look for that flavor! I have some yams that I bought marshmallows for! Having some slices of turkey, with dressing and homemade mashed potatoes and gravy for one of our dinners this week. I love fall homey flavors.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    Happy Birthday Heather!!!! I hope you are spoiled by every one around you!💖. 🎉👑🎁🎶🎵✨🍴💪😁💖
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,058 Member
    Calorie Burn: I use a calorie burn website. (Google Calorie burn recommendations). MFP tends to be overly generous with their exercise calories. I do short interval walk/jog sessions throughout the day and walk during ad breaks in the evening while watching TV. Zumba also uses a lot of calories.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,058 Member
    Heather: Birthday looks good so far. Enjoy the rest of it! You deserve to be spoiled. 😂🎈🎉🎁🎊
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Thanks Ladies for the birthday greetings!

Okie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    My experience on bras for back support I cannot speak except for myself, a small-breasted woman. I have read the studies that claim bras actually cause sag and don't support the back. I think that is true at least for me in reference to lingerie bras and traditional strap, inexpensive, poor stretch, sports bras. The theory is that a bra providing great breast support makes the chest muscles weaker and requires tight straps which actually cause the shoulders to sag due to top of shoulder nerve impingement which leads to back problems.

20 years ago a sports doctor suggested that I try racerback compression bras only with adjustable straps on full length. Her theory was that the compression should be like a bandeau and the straps with only gentle tension when standing with arms down. This compression actually will build strong chest muscles with breathing and exercising. The racerback with just gentle strap tension will help keep your spine from hunching and provide a gentle compression between the shoulder blades. Straps need to be very stretchy. Many women shy away from such bras because they squish the boobs instead of lifting them and can be rather unattractive. The secret to minimizing sag and building upper chest muscles is in the squish, not the lift.

She suggested I wear an adjustable strap racerback sports bra with no padding or underwire or formed cups. She also suggested keeping it on during all activity and taking it off in the evening while relaxing or noodling around the house. I added chest pushing, deep breathing, exercises feeling the resistance of the bra around my bust and expanding it as much as possible.

I no longer have the shoulder and back pains that once nagged me daily. Appearance-wise the increasing of my over boob measure (chest muscle) from 33" to 34" gives an illusion of perk and while I still have sag, it is less than I had in my 40's when I wore the traditional strap cupped pushup bras that gave me shoulder impingement.

A good bra is like a resistance band and should be an asset to your workout and life. My posture has improved drastically over 20 years since making my bras a tool.

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    Thanks Ladies for the birthday greetings!

Okie

HAPPY BIRTHDAY~

Debbie
    Napa Valley CA
    (where the air is terrible yet again)
    one app says as high as 276, another shows a low of 178 so somewhere in between.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Happy birthday Okie!
  • pipcd34
    eszugk57qp4z.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Skate was delicious, though I always get myself worked up with the timings of the beurre noire. Bit of a last minute scrum.
    Unfortunately, just before that the doctor had called me on my mobile and I couldn't answer it because there was no call icon. Luckily he called me again on the home phone. I have a blood test arranged for the 14th. Checking immune, thyroid, iron and vit D. When the doc rang again to confirm appointment I once again had no call icon, only the ring tone. I had made my phone ring for longer just earlier, as it was cutting out too early, but this was a different problem.
    Tried to look it up on Google and apparently it is fairly common. Sometimes updates can mess it up. There were hours of updates on Wednesday. Tried to follow their instructions to cure it, but I'm not sure I succeeded. Will check tomorrow. If I can't fix it I will take it into the shop on Monday. Luckily hardly anyone ever calls me on it.
    Anyway, I was very worked up at not being able to fix it. :/ so wasn't really in the best mood to enjoy my skate.

DH's dessert was very pleasant, but a bit overcooked. The fault of the recipe, not him, as he took it out early. Tasty though.

Watched an old Vera repeat. Fell asleep watching it for a few minutes.

A lovely day, until I allowed myself to get worked up over technology. Can't help myself! ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,326 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Today is a "bright, bright, sunshiney day." I have my dog back at home and he is doing well. I've picked up prescriptions and run errands. It is time for a bit of R&R. :bigsmile:

Katla - that's great news!!! Very happy for your household <3

Lanette
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did a step DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Yoga Burn DVD

Two of the things I hope comes out of this pandemic: 1) an awareness of cleanliness and companies doing it and 2) companies realizing that you shouldn’t pack people in like sardines (like airlines, Disney World, etc)

Heather – hope you have a wonderful day!

Made sourdough bread the other day. To me, it’s too salty. But then again, I’m very sensitive to salt. Maybe it’s because we really don’t go out to eat much and I really don’t cook with salt. Vince just thinks it’s a little salty. I’m going to give some to Lynette today and see what she says. They eat out a lot, so she may say that it isn’t salty at all. The next loaf I’m going to try eliminating the salt and see how that is.

Soup kitchen today! First Vince wants me to go to WalMart to get a prescription for him, then I’ll go to Lynette’s and then the soup kitchen. He wants to cut the grass. The guy said he will start seeding the lawns in our development tomorrow but he’s not sure he’ll get to ours. We’re going to mark where the pipes are just in case. Update: cut the grass in the front only

NC is supposed to go to phase 3 today. I wonder if this means that ceramics will be open???

Fed my sourdough starter. If I have time (which I doubt) today I’ll make bread. If not, tomorrow…..or Sunday

Oakie – happy birthday

Katla – so glad your doggie is doing so well. I have been thinking about you all day

Wish I could make my sourdough, but I can’t unless I want to stay up until 1. Work tomorrow. The starter has more than doubled in size. Maybe I’ll be able to make it tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Friends: Thank you for your good wishes for our dog. He is home and doing very well. I feel blessed. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Hi Gals,

"Look for reasons to be hopeful, even in difficult times
    2020 is the difficult time, and I really have understood how much I take clean air for granted… I am hopeful that I will continue to be grateful.

Heather – happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful flowers.

Okie – Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to work sick, my last corporate job (2000-2008) you were rewarded with extra vacation days if you did not use your sick days… EVERYone came to work sick. My department’s admin came one time with 102 degree fever and within a few days most of the department was out sick, but she got a reward at the end of the year with extra vacation days for the following year…

Suzi Q - I agree, although I do have a friend who’s pronoun is they and per their request I will introduce as this is my friend Roo and they’re pronoun is they.

Katla – I also buy Halloween candy early, but keep it in the sealed bag and then tell myself the bag can not be opened until 4pm on Halloween, it helps me stay out of it. Glad pup is doing ok.

Well yesterday and today have been very smoky – it is from the fire up by Debbie…between 150-200 both days, I am very tired of it. It looks like it might break up next week. So much depends on the wind, and sometimes the wind to clear out the smoke will stir up the fire…And that is not ok.

I have a friend with a setup that she can stream a movie from her laptop on to a big screen, so 4 of us when to her house last night and sat in the back yard and watched Hamilton… I love history and musicals and this was very good, I had seen the movie one other time but caught more little bits this time. Because it was outside we turned the closed captioning on and I loved being able to catch every word.

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I went to the store and bought Halloween candy the other day. I hope to keep out of it. I am all set for trick or treaters, though the “big day” is 29 days from now. I have the bowl full of candy tucked away and out of sight for now. I don't want to fall into trouble with self control. "Once on the lips, forever on the hips," is not a good goal. :noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

You mentioned earlier that you bought what you liked (the Reece's peanut butter chocolates). Back in the day when I bought halloween candy, I tended to buy things I wasn't that keen on. That way I was more than happy to give it away, and if I did have some left over it took a long time for me to go through it because I might have one a week. Or I would take it to work and try to get rid of it that way.

M in Oz