October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,941 Member
    @eleanorhawkins CONGRATULATIONS! Those are awesome paces. Glad the bum toe didn't hold you back! Imagine what you could have done in a "real" race! I love the Jeff Galloway method of running. You go girl!

@TheMrWobbly The Run the World challenge sounds great! I'm in, assuming I will be recovered and running again.

• quilteryoyo
    I don't think we had a monthly question in September. I'd like to propose that the following as a strictly selfish one to give me inspiration as I recover from surgery - hopefully this month. "What is the worst injury/medical issue that you have come back from and how did you do it?"
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    "What is the worst injury/medical issue that you have come back from and how did you do it?"

I have been fortunate so far with small niggles like shin splints and the like which have just required patience.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,049 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Great job on your 5K and 10K PRs!

@TheMrWobbly I would be in for a "Run the World" challenge!

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,049 Member
    I don't think we had a monthly question in September. I'd like to propose that the following as a strictly selfish one to give me inspiration as I recover from surgery - hopefully this month. "What is the worst injury/medical issue that you have come back from and how did you do it?"

Honestly, I've been pretty lucky too. Early on in my running, I injured my psoas muscle. It was actually injured during a pilates class I think, but I really felt it when running. It was mostly patience and some rolling, but it sucked because I could feel it every time I took a step. And of course it happened at a time when I was still building a running habit so it was so hard for me to take a day off. When I did start back I did short runs to test it out because I was worried about reinjuring it and having to start over. But, I haven't had any more issues from it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Great job on the PR's! Glad the toe didn't give you trouble. I don't think anyone on here ever said run/walk wasn't running. You are definitely running!

@TheMrWobbly I think Run the World sounds awesome! Count me in from Texas!

@quilteryoyo My worst medical issue was a tumor on the heel of my foot. I think it was a type of lymphoma and the doctor said that if it had been on the side we could have left it alone. But since it was on the bottom of my foot and was causing me pain they removed it. I had had it for an embarrassing number of years (like 10-15) and by then I was tired of stepping on something small and then being in pain for days. Plus the days were becoming weeks. Not only did I have to have general anesthesia, I had to be on crutches for 2 weeks (I had about 14 stitches in the bottom of my foot on the heel) and I was not allowed to put any weight at all on my foot, not even the toes. The recovery wasn't particularly painful,  but it was annoying. And this was over 20 years ago and I think my kids were around 2 and 6. I also wasn't a runner back then so I don't know how long it would have taken me to get back to running,  but after the 2 weeks it didn't take too long to get back to my normal routine.  They did say there was always a possibility that another one could form and I am always a little worried about that especially since I started running, but so far so good.

Wow @rheddmobile! I knew a little of your story from things you've posted over the years, but that is amazing! I'm so glad you made it through all that. You are very inspiring!

• quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile Very inspiring! I'm glad you made the choice to be healthy and that your DH got on board with it!

@kgirlhart Sorry about the job loss, but sounds like it is a great opportunity for you. I know you will do well. I feel bad for your old boss though and the fact that the economy is hurting his business so badly. :disappointed:

• quilteryoyo
    Great run @Scott6255 !
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    edited October 2020
    I did skip as I am not great with grizzly details but I feel for you @rheddmobile

That was a fantastic run @Scott6255

Change is always a little concerning @kgirlhart though you have to know how well thought of you are by everyone in how they have let this work out. You are going to nail this and not look back 😊

Thank you to everyone confirming they are up for the 'Run the World' challenge. Once I think we have all the replies we can get I will sort the route map and post a link for you all.

A much better 10k tonight with steady splits between 09:30 and 09:47 all the way. Slower than Thursday's PB though I could keep on running after and only stopped as I had reached the shop and needed to get dinner sorted.