Share your Numbers

Replies

• MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @gewel321 Congratulations!!! Enjoy your wonderful accomplishment!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Scale was down to 221.8 lbs this morning, which is 1 lb down from my all time low at the end of August, which means for the entire month of September, I lost 1 actual pound. Measurements did not change this month, either. I'm frustrated but learning to live with it because I can't do anything about it - I'm not going to make the goal I set for myself to be at 220 lbs by my Monday appointment to see my doctor.

So I'm holding true to my pattern - lose really well in spring, slow down in summer, stall out by start of Autumn *sigh* Here's hoping that this time around on that merry go round that I at least can recognize what is happening and prevent the regain cycle that usually follows next. We'll see - you'd think after 3 years and 150 lbs that I'd have gotten some kind of control, but apparently not......

I think you have more control now. You added a lot of activity and that throws a wrench into things. I should know.

I have known for some time that my body really wants to slow down to 1/2 pound per week even though my weight still allows for 1. The problem is all the weight I have lost and the sudden surge in activity. That surgery did me so much good but it also unlocked the active person that was dying to get out. If I hadn't needed the surgery my activity would have ramped up over time. Since I did need it, I became this wild animal that had a leg stuck in a trap and once released started running away as fast as possible.

Since I planned to stop in November anyway I keep pushing forward at 1. If I drop to a 250 calorie deficit I will have to tighten my logging and that seems like a PITA thing to do for just a few more weeks. The whole thing is kind of a mess and it is probably going to end with me not hitting my target by November 20th which is supposed to be my end date. I don't have to hit 193 but it would have been nice. I find it frustrating that my body won't play ball for just a little longer but I think it is done for this chapter and I probably should have already exited into maintenance for the year I plan to do it.

I would have advised someone else not to do what I have done. What can I say? I am a moron sometimes. I can probably limp along and "handle it" because it is such a short time but I am going to need to play it a little smarter. I may need to do what I suggested to you and add a second maintenance day each week. If that doesn't work I probably do need to exit. If I choose to lose weight after I have recomped for a year I believe it will be easier.

You need to always remember that you make the rules and you can change them as needed. If you have no pressing medical issue then there is no hurry. You do not have to lose 12 months a year. You can lose for half and eat maintenance for half. I am not saying to do that I am just saying you could. I do believe if you see a skid coming you should steer into it. We have to keep reminding ourselves that 95 percent of everyone out there is failing to get all of their weight off or failing to keep it off. Do not let what is conventional thoughts among the 95 percent infect your brain. We want to be the 5 percent and it will almost certainly require some unorthodox behavior.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    ONEDERLAND!!! Finally hit 199.1 this morning. It’s about dang time. Lol

OH, I didn't see this this morning but that's fantastic, gewel! Congratulations!
  • bmeadows380
    edited October 2020
    @NovusDies

The energy thing is what I can't figure out - by all accounts, I ought to be brimming with energy but I'm not. That's part of my struggle right now, I think; I'm not nearly as active now as I was back in the spring. My brain apparently wants to still eat like it is that active, but before I was getting the elliptical in at least 30 minutes, then a 30 minute cardio, than at least an hour to hour and a half walk 5 to 6 days a week, and was mowing grass, getting the yard ready for spring and summer, etc. But as summer wore on, my energy levels seemed to plummet, not increase, and now I might get a good 6 mile walk in one or twice a week and no elliptical or cardio sessions at all. I am getting some good activity in once in a while, such as my 10 mile hike that one day, and a few hours here and there wood cutting, but those are once in a great while things and not consistent; I'm having a great deal of trouble keeping consistent activity going. I know my step count is way down from what it was; I'm definitely no longer in the "very active" category, and I'm seeing it in my fight with the scale.
  • NovusDies

I had a feeling you would get there before me.

I have to hate you forever now.

Congrats!
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies

The energy thing is what I can't figure out - by all accounts, I ought to be brimming with energy but I'm not. That's part of my struggle right now, I think; I'm not nearly as active now as I was back in the spring. My brain apparently wants to still eat like it is that active, but before I was getting the elliptical in at least 30 minutes, then a 30 minute cardio, than at least an hour to hour and a half walk 5 to 6 days a week, and was mowing grass, getting the yard ready for spring and summer, etc. But as summer wore on, my energy levels seemed to plummet, not increase, and now I might get a good 6 mile walk in one or twice a week and no elliptical or cardio sessions at all. I am getting some good activity in once in a while, such as my 10 mile hike that one day, and a few hours here and there wood cutting, but those are once in a great while things and not consistent; I'm having a great deal of trouble keeping consistent activity going. I know my step count is way down from what it was; I'm definitely no longer in the "very active" category, and I'm seeing it in my fight with the scale.

Well your auto-pilot would want to eat like you are very active x 5 if you let it. Remember that is just habit. The only way to break it is maintain awareness.

The "I don't cares" slip in there from time to time and they will stick around if you don't kick them out. That is the point where you decide you don't want to fight the auto-pilot and you give up control.

What we are doing is worth doing no matter what the scale is doing. Remember that this is a lifetime goal. We do what is right for ourselves most of the time because it is an investment in our future and a protection of the ground we have covered. Even if we are just holding the line for a time we have to stand firm.

Weight management is no different than any other chore. We clean the house because we do not want to suffer the consequences of it being unsanitary like disease, bugs, vermin. Sometimes it can feel like there is a reward but sometimes it is just something that has to be done for the sake of doing it.

I like the privileges of being at a healthier weight but I would certainly make the process involve a lot more steak and potatoes if I could. Adulting sucks but I had to grow up eventually I guess.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I had a feeling you would get there before me.

I have to hate you forever now.

Congrats!

I’ll take it without any negative thoughts! I would have felt the same way. Lol 😂
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Today marks 5 months (and 22 weeks!) since I decided to reevaluate my relationship with food and exercise and I've been doing a little bit of math about it.

My initial weight was 348 on the nose and this morning I weighed in at a low of 287.3. My initial big drop was about 10 pounds so that means my average weekly loss, not including That Big Drop, is between 2.2 and 2.3. MFP tells me that I burn a couple hundred calories a day through my daily yoga and much more through 2-3x weekly cardio workouts. I never eat back my yoga calories but I usually take a little of the latter.

What this tells me is, mathematically, these last 5 months of counting calories has done exactly what MFP said it would on the tin. Even though I had weeks with no loss, even though there were multiple days where my dinner was 4 slices of pizza, and even though I regularly still eat moderate amounts of chips, ice cream, and candy. (It also tells me I could have probably eaten back a few of those yoga calories, haha.)

I just thought that was pretty cool. I'm really happy to have all of this data to crunch!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    Today marks 5 months (and 22 weeks!) since I decided to reevaluate my relationship with food and exercise and I've been doing a little bit of math about it.

My initial weight was 348 on the nose and this morning I weighed in at a low of 287.3. My initial big drop was about 10 pounds so that means my average weekly loss, not including That Big Drop, is between 2.2 and 2.3. MFP tells me that I burn a couple hundred calories a day through my daily yoga and much more through 2-3x weekly cardio workouts. I never eat back my yoga calories but I usually take a little of the latter.

What this tells me is, mathematically, these last 5 months of counting calories has done exactly what MFP said it would on the tin. Even though I had weeks with no loss, even though there were multiple days where my dinner was 4 slices of pizza, and even though I regularly still eat moderate amounts of chips, ice cream, and candy. (It also tells me I could have probably eaten back a few of those yoga calories, haha.)

I just thought that was pretty cool. I'm really happy to have all of this data to crunch!

You are doing great!....I am going into my 17th month of being on MFP....of course the weight came off faster the first few months....I really stalled out over the summer....not sure why...I started swimming 5 days a week and all I can think is that I was building muscle....I only eat back 25% of the calories that MFP says I burned...I have also carried most of my weight for a long time and also I am 69.... I envy you younger women that you have the good sense to lose weight NOW instead of when you get older...I have lost 95 lbs and I am planning on losing 10 to 15 more before I take my next diet break at the end of the year....hopefully by my two year anniversary in May 2021 I will have hit my goal weight and be on maintenance....I am trying to find another low impact exercise that I enjoy...

Best wishes for the rest of your healthy eating plan!
  • NovusDies
    emmyjaykay wrote: »

Nice.

This has been my experience exactly. I have had week of gaining, losing, and hovering but my weight loss has always caught up with my deficit eventually. What I have eaten has never changed the eventual results outside of the normal fluctuations.
  • ly2sing
    ly2sing Posts: 12 Member
    Only lost 0.8 pound this week, but the good news is that I lost a total of 15.2 so far since 8/22, AND I broke the 300 pound barrier! Haven’t weighed less than 300 pounds in years! Plenty of reason to celebrate!

Slow going, but staying on course! 🐌

ssix76mmmsp4.png
    audopmfdp6lr.jpeg
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 475 Member
    edited October 2020
    Congratulations are in order! Also, I have found out - rather painfully I might add - that trying to sing and play an instrument at the same time is some sort of voodoo magic spell for me...and here you are, looking absolutely fabulous and comfortable while doing it!

Anyway..to get back on topic. I weigh myself every Friday. The last weigh in yesterday was at 139.5kg. That is 1.1kg less than the Friday before (140.6kg).
    Also, the elevator in our apartment building was out of order today. I live on the third floor. This was a blessing in disguise, because it's literally been years since I last took 3 flights of stairs in succession. Last time I did it, I was almost sure I needed an ambulance as soon as I entered the house lol.

But today? Today was surprisingly different. I can't stress enough how much of an effect quitting smoking like a coal plant had for me. I managed to get up the stairs in a steady pace, and without needing a nurse at the top. XD

Think I'll start using the stairs exclusively from now on, that's gonna boost my NEAT. Neat. Thanks a lot, broken elevator!! <3
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Weigh in day for me and lost another 2lbs this week! Been back at it since end of aug I think and I have lost almost 15lbs (+-2lbs/wk) and I know I should be happy..and I am I suppose as it’s a start even though I’m still not back to super healthy habits like I probably should be addressing faster but I find myself also being very impatient to get back to where I was in March (which was already so overweight at 260!) so I can re-start my weight loss journey from the point in my head of where I should be at now. Does that make sense?! Lol. So I guess I’m just trying to keep the mental thinking of slow and steady..slow and steady...life time changes..etc etc. It really helps reading everyone’s experiences (especially you folks who been here the long while) so thx for continuing to share the good and the challenges with us newbies of long term weight loss/weight management! I may not post a lot but be rest assured I read everything!!!
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2020
    I'm still rather in shock this morning. Even though I got no activity in Thursday or Friday, and even though I know for a fact I was over deficit eating yesterday and probably over maintenance level as well because I spent the evening on the phone with the best friend and caught myself mindlessly munching while talking to her and working on the computer, I still got up this morning to a new all time low on the scale, down a 0.5 lb from yesterday to 219.8 lbs.

219.8 lbs - which is under my 220 lbs goal that I was almost 2 lbs away from on Thursday! I thought the 3.2 lbs down on Thursday was all the water weight so the reading of 221.8 lbs Thursday morning was my true weight, but in the last 48 hours, I've dropped another 2 lbs of water weight!

That's got my moving average to 220.8 lbs - I'm 0.8 lbs away from HappyScale telling me I've achieved my goal, meaning this coming Thursday, unless I start regaining water weight, I might just actually hit goal.

I know its not eating more is causing me to lose weight, but man, I can see how people can buy into that idea. meanwhile, I'm still having a hard time accepting that reading this morning - I tested it 5 times and moved the scale around on the floor each time as I kept thinking "that can't be right" lol

My brain, however, is saying "it might have read 219.8 lbs this morning, but its' not truly getting to goal until the trend itself hits it" - another prime example of my brain moving the goal posts on me........

Bollocks to that.

Unless you are dehydrated every weight on your curve is accurate. The only one that truly cuts through the noise while losing is the lowest one. When you maintain your weight then it is the average or trend.

Others might have a different opinion but I tracked all the weights on my curve for over a year. I saw how I could be fluctuated up but still recognize weight loss because my whole curve shifted downward. The thing that kept reinforcing the pattern was that I would continually (usually within a 3 week time frame) travel back down to the lowest point or true north. Maybe that should be true south since heading downward...

As to why you got to a new low it is probably from relaxing a bit. I have a feeling that is what is keeping me from seeing a number with a 1 in front of it. I won't be seeing mine for some time yet. I am really sore from a project and this morning the dog hauled off after a rabbit catching me in an odd position and now my hip hurts. My weight would probably go down if I got rid of the dog!!
  • bmeadows380
    @NovusDies

I thought having a dog was supposed to help? Lol everyone keeps telling me I ought to get a dog for protection when I walk but I am definitely not a dog person and my stress levels are high enough!

The scale popped back up to 222 lbs this morning. *sigh* I figured it would but after yesterday’s low it was still disappointing. The critical part of my brain is saying “see? I told you yesterday was a fluke!” But I am working hard to ignore that voice.

Walking is apparently a double edged sword for me: on the one hand, it gives me health benefits and extra calories but on the other hand it seems to hold the water weight on. And even after 6 months now of walking, my legs are still sore when I’m done. I walked right at 6 miles yesterday at my typical speed which had been my typical walk for at least 3 months so I would have thought that my legs would be used to that by now but apparently not as I was sore going to bed. It was mild and is fine this morning but if I get a walk in today it’ll linger tomorrow. And since I see water weight spikes after long walks like that I guess it’s a sign my muscles are repairing-at least, that’s the only thing I can think that would account for the water weight gains.

I’ve got some gummies to take with me to eat at the halfway point to replenish glycogen stores and I’ve stopped at the local Dollar General to pick up a 100 calories snickers or other chocolate bar on the way but I haven’t really noticed if they help or not.

Since the heat and humidity have dropped I’m not feeling quite as dog tired as I was but I’m also not raring to go, either.
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies

I thought having a dog was supposed to help? Lol everyone keeps telling me I ought to get a dog for protection when I walk but I am definitely not a dog person and my stress levels are high enough!

The scale popped back up to 222 lbs this morning. *sigh* I figured it would but after yesterday’s low it was still disappointing. The critical part of my brain is saying “see? I told you yesterday was a fluke!” But I am working hard to ignore that voice.

Walking is apparently a double edged sword for me: on the one hand, it gives me health benefits and extra calories but on the other hand it seems to hold the water weight on. And even after 6 months now of walking, my legs are still sore when I’m done. I walked right at 6 miles yesterday at my typical speed which had been my typical walk for at least 3 months so I would have thought that my legs would be used to that by now but apparently not as I was sore going to bed. It was mild and is fine this morning but if I get a walk in today it’ll linger tomorrow. And since I see water weight spikes after long walks like that I guess it’s a sign my muscles are repairing-at least, that’s the only thing I can think that would account for the water weight gains.

I’ve got some gummies to take with me to eat at the halfway point to replenish glycogen stores and I’ve stopped at the local Dollar General to pick up a 100 calories snickers or other chocolate bar on the way but I haven’t really noticed if they help or not.

Since the heat and humidity have dropped I’m not feeling quite as dog tired as I was but I’m also not raring to go, either.

You may not be stretching enough. I have been hit or miss about it (more miss than hit) but I am getting tired of getting beat over the head with soreness and the water retention is all over the place. The problem with getting up early in the morning is that I have a stubbornness about how much more it takes to get started. Even with my home automation turning on lights and adjusting the air with my voice wake up command I still brush my teeth, shave, put on my compression sleeve, put on my knee brace over that, get dressed, grab my ear buds, grab my phone and start my book, disengage the security, switch the rechargeable batteries in my wearable light, put on said light, grab some treats for the neighborhood dogs, activate my watch and THEN I can walk. It is ridiculous that it takes me almost 30 minutes already from the time my feet hit the floor to the time I can walk out the door. I can do it slightly faster if I move with urgency but it is early o'clock... I AM TRYING TO WAKE UP. Now I have to do stretches too. :angry:

But I WILL try to make a habit out of the stretches because this pain is coming back a little too often.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Height: 5’1
    SW: 307.8 lbs
    CW: 296.2
    GW: 125

I am in the 2’s!!!! lol

That's awesome.....