Does anyone still track calories in maintenance?

Tanie98
Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
edited October 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I lost weight when i started tracking my food and was able to keep it off for few years because I had a very active job and was going to gym regularly..so i kept losing weight even though i stopping counting calories. I started getting you're getting too skinny comments. I was at my lowest at 115 lbs

Then I switched jobs and started working with food. I started snacking and tasting food constantly and wasn't exercising as much and i gained some of the weight back. I weigh 134 and trying to get back to 125. So i started tracking again.

However, I have came across video's on YouTube of people talking about counting calories doesn't work long-term and is not sustainable because we can't count forever to keep the weight off. I find when i stop counting, I get off track and start gaining. That could also i'm not exercising enough

So does anyone still track on maintenance? Does exercing regularly and watch your diet work to maintain without counting calories?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    I read somewhere that the key to maintenance is creating a calorie deficit - and there are an infinite number of ways to do that.
    Give yourself time to try things & see how they work. If they do, keep them. If they don’t come up with a new thing to try.

Just Never Give Up.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I read somewhere that the key to maintenance is creating a calorie deficit - and there are an infinite number of ways to do that.

Could you explain what you mean in terms of a calorie deficit and maintenance? I understood that a calorie deficit will caue one to lose weight, and that maintenance is about finding a calorie equilibrium. Either way, I completely agree that there are many ways to do it.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I do continue to measure everything and log it on MFP, both my calories and my activities. I calculated my TDEE and set MFP to that, and I don't eat back my calories. Weekly weighing and tweaking after that. I have slipped up a few times in my past life and don't want that to happen again, so I think I'll need to be held accountable for the rest of my life.