What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Why not? Because all foods are not wrapped in bacon?

I just don't understand the appeal. Why wrap, say, chicken in bacon when you can enjoy each separately?

Although it's not my first choice, I think the appeal in a lot of cases is adding fat to a lean meat. Skinless chicken or a lean beef filet could benefit from some fat...if you're into that kind of thing.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »

I just don't understand the appeal. Why wrap, say, chicken in bacon when you can enjoy each separately?

Because the smokey flavour and fat will simply flavour the boring chicken breast and prevent it from drying out.

After reading the above post, I pulled chicken breast out of the freezer to wrap in Speck (sort of a thin spicy lean bacon) for dinner tonight. Thanks to pancakerunner for the idea--I usually eat the opposite of what he posts. ;)
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Watermelon is disgusting, and other melons aren’t much better.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited October 2020

Because the smokey flavour and fat will simply flavour the boring chicken breast and prevent it from drying out.

After reading the above post, I pulled chicken breast out of the freezer to wrap in Speck (sort of a thin spicy lean bacon) for dinner tonight. Thanks to pancakerunner for the idea--I usually eat the opposite of what he posts. ;)

Next to try is to get some nice thick cod loins, spread pesto on them and then wrap in prosciutto. Another reason to wrap lean protein in flavour packed protein.

OK--I'll give that a shot. You're the maestro. ;)
    PS: My husband eats fish, but not prosciutto (he's pescatarian). Any ideas for a different wrap?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

My unpopular opinion: Honeydew melon is actually good
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    When it comes to frozen treats, I prefer the "ice milk" texture to the rich creamy one many people seem to favor.
  • SuzySunshine99

One honeydew out of 100 is actually good. I honestly think they are only perfectly ripe for like a day. They are very tasty when you get a good one, but I'm done buying them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Good if ripe, local, and in-season. It gets a bad rap since tasteless versions are in every hotel fruit plate and similar uninspiring offerings.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Good if ripe, local, and in-season. It gets a bad rap since tasteless versions are in every hotel fruit plate and similar uninspiring offerings.

Best honeydew I have ever had was in Jamaica!
  • pancakerunner
    I think KIND bars and similar nut-based bars are a waste of calories and not good.
  • SuzySunshine99
    I think KIND bars and similar nut-based bars are a waste of calories and not good.

I agree...they're just sticky nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I agree...they're just sticky nuts.

This is how I feel about eating anything that is mostly mashed-up dates. It's just sweet and dense, which is okay for one bite but not my idea of a worthwhile treat.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020

No way! Dark chocolate salted kind bar is like chocolate covered nuts! I can't have a bag of chocolate covered nuts, but they allow me to just eat a serving size, lol. That flavor is the BEST. Not a big fan of any of the other flavors.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    I am not fond of the smell of peanut butter - nor the taste!
  • lemurcat2
    edited October 2020

KIND bars are just a snack food, a somewhat healthier and (IME, more filling) alternative to a candy bar. I went through a period where I really liked a couple of them (the peanut butter/chocolate and dark chocolate and cherry ones) and would buy them in the airport regularly when travel times meant I probably wouldn't get a regular meal (now I don't travel due to Covid, but also I find I've completely lost my taste for them).
  • pancakerunner

KIND bars are just a snack food, a somewhat healthier and (IME, more filling) alternative to a candy bar. I went through a period where I really liked a couple of them (the peanut butter/chocolate and dark chocolate and cherry ones) and would buy them in the airport regularly when travel times meant I probably wouldn't get a regular meal (now I don't travel due to Covid, but also I find I've completely lost my taste for them).

I just find them unsatisfying and not favorable or desirable.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

I thought the same thing until I recently had the dark chocolate sea salt and nuts. I haven’t had them in years. That one is awesome.
  • lemurcat2

If by satisfying, you mean filling, I found them so for the calories. (I find nuts alone reasonably satisfying too.)

I also found the ones I mentioned reasonably tasty, although I eventually got bored of them. I'd probably still enjoy the peanut butter/chocolate one, though, just not enough to bother buying it when I'm not at the airport.

I go through phases with stuff like that, and Kind bars were my replacement for the protein bars I got bored with, Right now there aren't any bars I like much, but maybe I'll find something else eventually.
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    I don’t really like pizza. Please put the pitchforks down.
  • blondeandfeistyAF13
    blondeandfeistyAF13 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Reeses' PB Cups are gross.