Take out Coffee Creamer?

I am new here and when recording my meals I'm finding that after my protein shake and coffee with creamer, that it doesn't leave many calories for 2 more meals. If I don't work out that day I will be over in cals.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I find that skim milk doesn’t bother me at all in my coffee (or my protein shake for that matter). Is a protein shake your breakfast? I only have one after a weight workout as I prefer to eat as many of my calories as possible (and enjoy every last one of them if I can 😜)
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    I recently weaned myself off the coffee creamer too. I started slowly by decreasing the amount each week, until I was able to take it black with a Splenda and some of the sugar free Skinny Syrup (Or Toriani). It took about a month total and saves so many calories.

It just takes time to get used to the taste and it helps to find a good coffee you like that is smooth and not to bitter. Unless you like that of course. :)
  • Tarrbaby3
    Tarrbaby3 Posts: 3,842 Member
    Try fat free half and half (only 10 calories a tbsp) and some sugar free caramel syrup. Same taste but less than 50 calories a cup.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I use half n' half every morning. 1 tbsp is 24 calories I believe? Not enough to throw my day out of whack at all. I'm guessing the protein shake is WAY more calories than the coffee with creamer?
  • cristiwinks
    cristiwinks Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2020
    I do use too much creamer.. I have found some great coconut milk hazelnut creamer and even though I have a hard time with dairy I have been allowing myself to have some of the Coffeemate hazelnut half and half (I do both so it is not all dairy). I also sometimes get the coconut milk with almond milk creamers. They are not that expensive to me because I enjoy it and is way less expensive than Starbucks with way less sugar. As far as sweeteners I always use my liquid stevia. It comes in different flavors and no chemicals to wreck my brain like saccharine or aspartame. Some people think Stevia is bitter but they may be using too much.... it isn't that way for me. I guess I will have to start working toward a darker coffee and not so white! LOL!! And yes, I do drink the shake for breakfast as my meal many mornings. I can relate to only wanting to eat my calories but the benefits I get from the shake are worth it to me. Thanks :)
  • Dogmom1978
    I do use too much creamer.. I have found some great coconut milk hazelnut creamer and even though I have a hard time with dairy I have been allowing myself to have some of the Coffeemate hazelnut half and half (I do both so it is not all dairy). I also sometimes get the coconut milk with almond milk creamers. They are not that expensive to me because I enjoy it and is way less expensive than Starbucks with way less sugar. As far as sweeteners I always use my liquid stevia. It comes in different flavors and no chemicals to wreck my brain like saccharine or aspartame. Some people think Stevia is bitter but they may be using too much.... it isn't that way for me. I guess I will have to start working toward a darker coffee and not so white! LOL!! And yes, I do drink the shake for breakfast as my meal many mornings. I can relate to only wanting to eat my calories but the benefits I get from the shake are worth it to me. Thanks :)

Not sure what benefits you could get from the shake that you don’t get from food (without all the chemicals many protein shakes contain), but whatever works for you.

You didn’t say how many calories either thing is though, since a shake and coffee wouldn’t throw most people’s calories out of whack... as said above, that’s either a 500 calorie coffee or you aren’t eating enough calories 😜
  • cristiwinks
    edited October 2020
    @Dogmom1978 it is not chemicals and I am sorry but when I log it shows the calories because I also add chia, flax and hemp seeds. I also add collagen... it adds up. If you don't have that problem that is great... good for you!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Dogmom....it is not chemicals and I am sorry but when I log it shows the calories because I also add chia, flax and hemp seeds. I also add collagen... it adds up. If you don't have that problem that is great... good for you!

I made the choice to switch from coffee creamers, and now drink coffee with a splash of milk, or a half scoop of protein powder. I honestly didn't care much for coffee, and was sometimes drinking 1-2 cups of surgery creamers a day. Plus sometimes going to Starbucks. It took a couple weeks to adjust, but now I enjoy the coffee, and ones with lots of sugar now taste overly sweet, and I can't finish one.
    Hopefully you'll find what works best for you.
  • Dogmom1978
    @Dogmom1978 it is not chemicals and I am sorry but when I log it shows the calories because I also add chia, flax and hemp seeds. I also add collagen... it adds up. If you don't have that problem that is great... good for you!

Yes, but how can you expect people to help if we don’t know how many calories are IN this coffee/protein shake?? Like is it a 500 calorie breakfast? 300? 750?!?! It’s just confusing that one shake and one coffee could contain ENOUGH calories to derail a day....
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    How low do you have your calories set and how caloric is this shake? I have half and half in two coffees a day and have plenty of room for food.
  • SModa61

What are the benefits that you are observing that you attribute to this shake?
  • SModa61
    I was thinking about this question further on my drive to the grocery store and back Christi is you want informed and thoughtful responses to your question. I would suggest providing the following info.

Current Weight

target calories per day
    daily exercise and calories associated

then detailed ingredient list of contents of your protein shake, both ingredient and quantity
    and then nutritional info on the creamer you are using.

I'll do my best to give my thoughts. I am not great, but I did work in weight loss community for 12 years (WW from 2002 - 2014). I might have something useful.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    I have concluded that if 2000 calories is really not enough for most people if they are trying to eat healthy. Then if you are trying to do a calorie deficit of 500 per day like what a lot of people say, it's practically impossible. So I can totally understand why without exercise, you would be over your calories. I personally don't drink shakes, so my option is just based off real foods. Assuming you are trying to eat your fruits, veggies and protein... This is what 1600 calories would look like. Doesn't leave much room for anything else. For me If i only ate this in a day, i'm starving and i'm not a big guy.
    10oz chicken breast 480 calories protien
    200g avocado 320 calories healthy fat
    320 apple 180 calories 2 servings of fruit
    400g broccoli 100 calories veggies
    100g bread 310 calories carb
    150g of cooked rice 210 calories carb
  • cristiwinks
    Thanks for the help everyone... I think I just had my calorie goal way too low. No need to respond to help because I have now implemented my solution. Be blessed :)
  • SModa61
    Thanks for the help everyone... I think I just had my calorie goal way too low. No need to respond to help because I have now implemented my solution. Be blessed :)

Wonderful, I think that is a right solution! <3
  • sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    I have been trying to ween myself off of creamer because I'm lactose intolerant, and the alternatives are either expensive and only stay good for 7-10 days or are full of chemicals. I'm just drinking my first cup black, and then usually drink one more with 2 tsp sugar...it makes a difference,for me, to buy a really good quality coffee!

Coconut cream is a great alternative that isn't full of chemicals. It does help when you want a creaminess to your coffee.