Maintaining weight range

I started my weight lose journey in 2018 weighing 11st 2.5lbs. I have an underactive thyroid and pcos so have been deemed overweight all my life basically. Between then and now i not only have had my miracle baby after being told for many yrs that id never naturally conceive, but ive also lost 3st 3st 2.5lbs taking me to 8st 😁πŸ’ͺ. I'm now happy at my current weight with zero intention of losing more with the fear of making myself ill or becoming unhappy. I read that setting a weight range is best for maintaining but have no idea what sort of range πŸ€” 0.5lb either way,1lb either way? Whats your range? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited October 2020
    I haven't reached my goal range yet, but I'd like to not weight less than 130, or more than 140. This puts me at the mid range of a healthy BMI.

• Kirstyw4
    Kirstyw4 Posts: 20 Member
    Ok, so normally i weigh in once a week (every monday morning) but as ive been losing rather than maintaining i changed what ive been doing slightly so been tracking more often for this past week only. I checked this morning and have gained 0.5lb since mondays weigh in. I checked on Wed also and weighed the same as i did this morning (so basically maintained the same weight between wed and today) tomorrow is my actual weigh day so can't see it having changed much (if any) from today. As long as it is the same would you regard half a lb gain a maintain?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Best to think in terms of trend weight rather than individual weigh ins otherwise things like salty meals or inflammation from exercise might mess with your head. As a young woman you may also have monthly variations to take into account. I fully expect my daily weigh in to show a different number to yesterday, that's my normal and you will need to find your normal.

1lb to 2lbs seems too small a range and likely to lead to over-control and over-reaction, neither helpful for long term stress-free maintenance. I would have thought 3lbs to 5lbs would be more suitable.

I'm a bit odd in that I don't have a range as such as I don't lose weight accidently so don't need to concern myself about dropping more weight than I want to. I have an upper limit that triggers action though.

In spring to autumn I maintain around twelve stone when I like to be lighter for my cycling hobby and in winter I let my weight creep up closer to my upper limit of twelve and a half stone.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    Half a pound of weight change is what happens instantly if I drink a big glass of water. I vary by over a pound in the course of a normal day, just from food input and output and things like breathing/sweating.

Totally!

I actually track TWO different maintenance ranges. I call one my "ideal" range; it's a six-pound range (+/- 3 pounds). My goal is to stick to that. I try not to be concerned at all if I'm bouncing around in that range. Try. Try hard. Because it's hard not to be at least a little concerned; work in progress. I also have what I call an "absolute" range that's +/- 5 pounds.

I also rely on weight trends, not daily weights.

If my weight trend goes outside of my ideal range, I pay attention and try to slowly bring it back within range. If it goes outside of my absolute range, it's time to get back to more serious deficits again.

Give yourself some time to figure out what works for you. Your range, and your goal, might actually change. After 2.5 years in maintenance, I'm still not sure that my targets are where they should be. Maybe I'll know in another few years.

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have a 4-lb range. I'm at the bottom of the range right now but still log daily and weigh weekly just to avoid being complacent and risking that things might start slipping.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Three pounds. The end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Kirstyw4 wrote: Β»
    I started my weight lose journey in 2018 weighing 11st 2.5lbs. I have an underactive thyroid and pcos so have been deemed overweight all my life basically. Between then and now i not only have had my miracle baby after being told for many yrs that id never naturally conceive, but ive also lost 3st 3st 2.5lbs taking me to 8st 😁πŸ’ͺ. I'm now happy at my current weight with zero intention of losing more with the fear of making myself ill or becoming unhappy. I read that setting a weight range is best for maintaining but have no idea what sort of range πŸ€” 0.5lb either way,1lb either way? Whats your range? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks

That's too small...that would be well within the range or completely normal body weight fluctuations and you would just be chasing your tail. My weight typically fluctuates between 0 and 3 Lbs either way day to day...it can be more if I have more sodium than usual one day, or higher carbs, or just eat more in general resulting in more waste in the system...also, a long ride day will usually result in a bigger drop the next day due to losing water.

In regards to a range, you need to be able to reasonably determine what is just a fluctuation and what is actually weight gain...if it's overnight or a couple nights or whatever, that's just a fluctuation...ie, you don't gain 3 Lbs or 5 Lbs or whatever of actual fat overnight, or even over the course of a week unless you're going absolutely bonkers with your diet. Long term trends will help determine if you're actually gaining weight.

I don't really have a range per sei...I have an "intervention point" which is 10 Lbs. max...I may intervene sooner, but 10 Lbs is my max. This usually only happens in winter anyway...I'm able to maintain around 180 give or take fluctuations pretty easily most of the year.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    With a not too dissimilar starting weight / weight loss to you, I've been fluctuating between 48-50 kg for a few months now. That's roughly a 4.5lb variation. Those swings are probably water weight and I don't even notice them, physically. I get alarmed when I see 48kg on the scales though and, if I stayed at that weight for more than a few days, I'd probably start eating a bit more.

At 54kg my doctor told me not to lose much more - I was aiming for 53kg - but I had some blips when I first switched to maintenance as it was at the start of lockdown and I had all sort of changes going on. Given where I ended up, I now see 53kg as my upper range. That's the middle of healthy BMI.

As I'm mostly averaging around 49kg, that would mean I have a potential range of 4kg, which is just under 9lb. That seems quite reasonable. However, having now ventured out to the shops and bought loads of clothes that actually fit, I'd like to stay roughly where I am for the time being. Also, if the weight started creeping up such that I was actually over 50kg, I'd probably start looking much closer at what I'm eating and questioning whether I'm getting lax with my tracking.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    My maintenance weight chart graph looks like a seismograph during an earthquake! My weight goes up and down all over the place. It's not a static number, your body is constantly fluctuating: water, fluids, food, waste, sodium... it's not a perfect machine where if you input X you get constant output of Y within a small 1/2 lb range. I have a figure that if I go over it I get serious and buckle down (only happened once so far since May) and if I start to get too low I will eat an extra little bit of dinner and maybe a small ice cream treat (last night actually). It's +5 lbs on the high side and maybe 3-4 lbs on the low side. I'm not super anal about trying to keep it in a tight small range since its very hard to do so (for me anyways).

After a while in maintenance you'll figure out your comfortable range and how tools to stay in that "zone". Just know that more than likely you'll be bouncing up and down a lot even if you do the same things every day! Welcome to maintenance!