WE ARE THE WARRIORS OCTOBER TEAM CHALLENGE 🎃 31 Days of Self-Care 🎃

Replies

• starryeclipse
    starryeclipse Posts: 221 Member
    Monday, 10/5
    What is the most difficult struggle in loving myself?
    Wowza... this is a rough one. I have had image issues since high school, have battled depression, had challenges with getting pregnant all due to my weight and body. This has made a very challenging and uphill struggle for me regarding loving myself. To me, I see myself as a failure the majority of the time (hi depression) since I can’t get my weight under control or have no self control regarding the decisions I make. This is a rough question.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    What is the most difficult struggle in loving myself?
    I do love myself, but the thing that irritates most about myself is being natural too lazy. I have always been a natural couch potato.
  • jenkspaf
    jenkspaf Posts: 42 Member
    The most difficult struggle in loving myself is probably my weight. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and whenever it is up I feel like I am failing, unattractive, unworthy of love, less than others. Maybe some of this is because it seems like people are always celebrating me when my weight is down, but not when it’s up.
  • starryeclipse
    starryeclipse Posts: 221 Member
    jenkspaf wrote: »
    The most difficult struggle in loving myself is probably my weight. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and whenever it is up I feel like I am failing, unattractive, unworthy of love, less than others. Maybe some of this is because it seems like people are always celebrating me when my weight is down, but not when it’s up.

I can definitely relate to this; you make a good point too. I tend to celebrate myself when I’m losing weight not gaining it. I never thought about it that way before.

• HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    edited October 2020
    Monday, 10/5
    ✅ What is the most difficult struggle in loving myself?

Probably overcoming my perfectionism. I am exacting and critical when it comes to my self. I'm much better at loving other imperfect people than I am at loving my imperfect self. Sometimes I can cut myself a lot of slack (when I'm being present) but other times (when looking back on myself) I find that I'm disappointed in me for not being in a different place by now (more fit, more accomplished, more financially stable, etc). I struggle sometimes to give myself credit for my growth and not "should" on myself (I should have a career, i should have a PhD, etc). Those kinds of thoughts make it hard for me to love me.
  • paucoe
    paucoe Posts: 20 Member
    Monday, Oct 5

I truly love myself but I realize that I don’t always treat myself as well as I should. It is much easier for me to tend to the needs of others rather than my own.

Earlier this year I was not being mindful of my eating and health. As I get older, my weight is not only about the way I look (although it is a factor) but I’m also very conscious of how it impacts my health. In the beginning of the year (and the start of the Covid pandemic), I was mindlessly shoving food into my mouth and my weight was steadily going up. I realized that as a parent, I wouldn’t feed my child a whole half gallon of ice cream or a whole pizza in one sitting. I wouldn’t do that because I love them and I care about them and their health. But I was basically doing that to myself.

So, I guess my struggle is reconciling that loving myself needs to include treating myself well. How I treat others that I love and care about should also be the standard that I treat myself.
  • CharmingPassion
    CharmingPassion Posts: 556 Member
    Monday, Oct 5
    ✅ What do you think is your biggest struggle with loving yourself?

I have A.D.D. which means for me memory retention is horrible. I have to write everything down. I have to ask people a lot to repeat themselves and the looks given are nothing in comparison to how bad I feel even having to ask. So trying to accept that this is just a part of me and it will always be a part of me and to forgive myself for this has been a struggle.
  • carrolljessica4
    carrolljessica4 Posts: 52 Member
    The most difficult struggle in loving myself is pushing myself to do things out of fear of failing. As an example, I want to start weight training, at least with just bodyweight for now, but I struggle to even start out of a fear of failing.
  • runarml
    runarml Posts: 1,065 Member
    Tuesday, Oct 6
    ✅ Define what gives you stress. How will you handle it better?

The thing that gives me the most stress is my daughter's syndrome. It's not something I can control but I'm trying to better control my actions towards it. Since Covid shut down schools last spring I've had to do a lot more caretaking and I'm realizing I do much better if I get the "work" done before I try to sit down and relax with tv or a book. I get everything done with her first, and then I'm able to truly relax. If I don't I end up thinking about what I still need to do and I get stressed. I also need to be better about having a babysitter or one of the Grandma's come to visit, just having an extra set of hands for a few hours can be so helpful!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,727 Member
    🎃 DAY SIX 🎃
    Tuesday - October 6h

I can stress about things that haven’t even happened yet. I am working on living in the moment. The things you stress about in the future, typically don’t! Meditation has really helped me! And a good workout!!
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,098 Member

Monday, 10/5
    Understanding my liver disease and living with it. Also dealing with all the operations that I have done in the last 5 years (5 so far and a hip replacement in the next 3 months)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 692 Member
    Define what gives you stress. How will you handle it better?
    Having to be independent. I have been on my own since I was 17 and don’t always have the answers. I don’t like leaning on friends or others for help. I am finding things just take me a bit longer than I plan and I don’t like how it slows me down.
    I try to just check off things as I go and that makes me feel better. Trying to not procrastinate also helps. No time like the present!
  • bootilicious
    bootilicious Posts: 111 Member
    A stressor is getting my homework done. Will try to do a little at a time, every day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,577 Member
    What gives me stress:
    "Too many cooks in the kitchen"
    My mom
    My renovation house
    Bad attitudes/ entitlement/arguing/confrontation
  • jenkspaf
    jenkspaf wrote: »

I can definitely relate to this; you make a good point too. I tend to celebrate myself when I’m losing weight not gaining it. I never thought about it that way before.

I try to remember this when I am talking to other people as well, and remember to celebrate them in other ways and let them know they are beautiful as they are.

• jenkspaf
    What gives me stress?

Work mostly. My job is really high stress. Housework. We have a lot of people in our home and it can get pretty messy pretty quickly. I hate housework, and whn you couple that with a high-stress job it can be really hard. I tend to crave sweets and carbs when I am stressed. Giving in to that has, I’m sure, had a significant impact on my weight gain.
  • 5Katey
    5Katey Posts: 371 Member
    Monday, Oct 5: (DAY 5 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    What do you think is your biggest struggle with loving yourself?

Feelings of inadequacy. They certainly creep in, especially when trying to fall asleep at night. As a parent, homeschooler, wife, Christian...BUT I know in my head it's not the truth, but an evil lie. If only I could always convince my heart to follow.🙏
  • 5Katey
    5Katey Posts: 371 Member
    DAY SIX
    Tuesday - October 6h
    Financial stress can be overwhelming at times; as a single income family of 7. We have to be very careful to budget everything. Unexpected expenses can cause excess stress, but through careful management and prayer we always prevail. Unfortunately when stressed I develop temporary amnesia.🤦‍♀️ Just remembering that last bit in stressful times, would help a lot.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 14,751 Member
    🎃OCTOBER CHALLENGE🎃
    🎃INDIVIDUAL TASKS - WEEK 2🎃
    🎃Sunday, Oct 4: (DAY 4 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    What would your younger self be proud of you for today?
    My younger self would be proud that I have achieved her ambitions to work hard and create a comfortable, loving home for her family, and to rise above her difficult childhood and confound those who said that she would never amount to much. I am living her dream life.

🎃Monday, Oct 5: (DAY 5 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    What do you think is your biggest struggle with loving yourself?
    I haven't had a problem with loving myself in many years. I didn't have supportive parents, but was fortunate to have a loving grandmother and aunts who worked hard to make sure I had a positive self image. I have learnt over the years that you have to love yourself and not rely on others loving you. Waiting for validation from others is the road to angst.
    🎃Tuesday, Oct 6: (DAY 6 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    Define what gives you stress. How can you handle it better?
    I’m a fairly easy going, positive person as a rule. The one thing that usually gives me stress is that I tend to cram too much into my schedule. Of course at the moment that isn’t a problem as all my volunteer groups are in abeyance. The one thing that does stress me out at the moment is the lack of consideration of others who flout the necessary safety precautions re Covid. I avoid the stress by limiting those occasions where I come into contact with others. It’s a necessary evil. 😂
    🎃Wednesday, Oct 7: (DAY 7 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    Do something outside and share a photograph.
    🎃 Thursday, October 8: (DAY 8 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    What is something that you need to start saying yes to?
    🎃 Friday, October 9: (DAY 9 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    Forgive someone. You don't have to tell us who or the circumstances. You don't even need to contact the person you've decided to forgive.
    🎃 Saturday, October 10: (DAY 10 of 31 DAYS OF Self-Care Challenge)
    Declutter something.

This discussion has been closed.