Coronavirus prep

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

Uh oh. My grocery store is out of toilet paper again...

There was a blurb on my newsfeed last week saying there may be shortages of paper products and canned goods.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Uh oh. My grocery store is out of toilet paper again...

I heard that warning about paper products a month ago and sure enough it was all gone at the time. Here the theory (just outside boston) was that it was all the parents buying paper supplies for their kids going back to college, and we have LOTS of colleges here. Yesterday, there was plenty in my local s&s, so maybe we are over our local hump, but I'm making a point of keeping about a month ahead of my needs.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    They are talking letting him out of the hospital tomorrow. That would be really dumb to do. He needs to be in there longer for his own good.

Are there any rules governing this? In my country if you're isolated because of a positive test, you aren't discharged until you've had two consecutive negative tests a few days apart.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    edited October 2020
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    They are talking letting him out of the hospital tomorrow. That would be really dumb to do. He needs to be in there longer for his own good.

Are there any rules governing this? In my country if you're isolated because of a positive test, you aren't discharged until you've had two consecutive negative tests a few days apart.

Here in Ontario unless you require hospitalisation due to the need for a respirator or the like then most patients are expected to quarantine themselves in their homes if able.
  • SModa61
    @tonyB0588 and @stevehenderson776 One thing that make it hard to compare to normal. Inside the White House is a full staffed medical suite. On the news this morning, they were saying that even a surgery could be performed in that suite. That quite possibly changes whether or not it is safe to allow the President to return to the White House in contrast to you or I being released to our traditional homes (lucky if I find a good bandaid sometimes).
  • TonyB0588
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @tonyB0588 and @stevehenderson776 One thing that make it hard to compare to normal. Inside the White House is a full staffed medical suite. On the news this morning, they were saying that even a surgery could be performed in that suite. That quite possibly changes whether or not it is safe to allow the President to return to the White House in contrast to you or I being released to our traditional homes (lucky if I find a good bandaid sometimes).

That's a relief to know there's scope for proper treatment inhouse. Let's hope it works.
  • TonyB0588

Here in Ontario unless you require hospitalisation due to the need for a respirator or the like then most patients are expected to quarantine themselves in their homes if able.

We practice a rigid difference between quarantine and isolation.

Quarantine - for persons who may have been exposed due to travel or interaction with a known case. That can be institutional or self quarantine depending on the circumstances.

Isolation - in a designated facility for persons who've tested positive. No discharge until satisfying certain criteria as mentioned earlier. By the way, that facility is NOT the hospital, as we're doing all we can to protect other sick and vulnerable persons in there.
  • stevehenderson776

Quarantine - for persons who may have been exposed due to travel or interaction with a known case. That can be institutional or self quarantine depending on the circumstances.

Isolation - in a designated facility for persons who've tested positive. No discharge until satisfying certain criteria as mentioned earlier. By the way, that facility is NOT the hospital, as we're doing all we can to protect other sick and vulnerable persons in there.

Here the terms seem to be somewhat interchangeable. Very few of the people diagnosed stay in the hospital or a special facility. Most are told to isolate at home until and unless they're no longer capable of managing at home due to a worsening condition. I'd doubt my provinces ability to set up an adequate system of facilities to take care of these people even if they were willing to do so. Given the horror stories that have been coming out of the long-term care facilities the last several months I think I'd rather take my chances at home.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member

Interesting! Ours our quite distinct too, but the terms are other way around!

Those returning from overseas go into "managed isolation" facilities until 2 weeks have passed, and two negative tests returned.

Those with covid-19 go into "quarantine" facilities (or transferred to hospitals if needed).

If a person has a cold and gets a covid test, or is potentially a contact of a case, then they go into "self-isolation" while waiting on test results.
  • stevehenderson776
    edited October 2020
    @jo_nz An interesting approach. In Ontario (and probably in all of Canada) it's a self-isolation system for travellers and people who have a COVID diagnosis or COVID like symptoms. I don't believe it would be constitutional to require patients to stay in a particular facility until released here.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    With the very best care available anywhere, at either the White House, or in the hospital, it’s kind of a moot point where he is. Which brings up the question of why he was sent to the hospital at all. As far as exposure of people living or employed at the White House, they’ve been exposed. Hopefully, the covid positive people are being isolated, and mask wearing, social distancing and hygiene practices are being observed by others. If not, it’s on them. You can lead a mule to water etc. Time will tell.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 wrote: »

It may be safe for him to return to the White House, but what about the staff who work in the residence and have to have direct contact with an active covid patient who can't be depended on to wear a mask? If a covid patient is in a hospital, medical staff only go into the patient's room when necessary, with all the PPE that's available. I'm doubting the folks who clean their rooms and bring them their meals are going to get medical-grade PPE.

Very true. I neglected that aspect