Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Here in Australia, people coming from overseas are put into hotel supervised quarantine for 2 weeks.
    People travelling from some states into other states - self isolation at home for 2 weeks.
    Police can and do randomly check that you are doing so.

anyone getting tested - self isolation at home until test result (usually next day results)

anyone positive - self isolation at home for 2 weeks. (unless hospitalised, of course - then complete the 2 weeks after discharge)

Self isolation means you stay at home and do not mix with other people masked or not. You stay in your own home, you do not go out in cars or public promotions and nobody visits you.

What Trump is doing post discharge would certainly not be allowed here.

No political statement - just facts about Covid rules.

Not that I am from australia, but from a story about a woman there, even state to state requires the hotel isolation as one end is likely not your second home. And the two week hotel cost is on the individual's dime. The story that I read was about a women who was supposed to fly to her boyfriend and hotel quarantine first and then instead skipped the flight where should could be tracked and hitch hiked directly to her boyfriend and avoid the quarentine and its cost. Or at least, that was the spin in the article.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    @rheddmobile I've been seeing pretty much the same thing at the school near me. It looks like they're staggering recess so it's just one class at a time. It must be like herding cats to keep all the kids 6 feet apart while playing. It doesn't look like the teachers are having a great success at it, which I really can't blame them for. 2 or 3 adults keeping perfect control of the personal space of 30 kids over a 4 acre field? The adults are losing that battle every single time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To steer the Rose Garden scenario towards a "prep" discussion.... DH and I are thinking of creating an outdoor living room in our carport. While it is really nice spending time outside now, we are thinking about December-January when our 2 college students will be living at home.

Disease vector considerations:
    - short term: Both girls have excellent access to Covid testing and will test before returning home. They will isolate and retest, but that won't happen by Thanksgiving so we will be celebrating that outside. I think it will be nice. Different, but ok.
    - longer term: The 3rd sister will be teaching 7th graders up until Xmas eve practically, and the 3 will gather over the months everyone is in town. I learned from the first shelter in place that I just cannot keep them apart. They need each other more than ever with reduced social outlets. So they need a place to do that safely in more inclement weather.

Air flow considerations:
    - The carport is open on one side (3-car) with walls on the other 3 sides. The walls alternate brick (load bearing) and wood panels with 2 foot gaps at ceiling and floor.

In light of the Rose Garden, I'm seriously doubting that this space will provide enough air flow. Of course, experts speculate transmission was more likely during the subsequent indoor reception, but still, I wonder if it is enough and if the effort is worthwhile. Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Restaurants around here are trying to come up with some sort of tent like option that might be similar.

Here, for my own back yard, I just think it will be too cold for anything useable that's largely outdoors. I'm pretty worried about how this is going to be when it gets cold again.
    Changing the subject... twice recently I have run past playgrounds, at two different locations, which are now open and full of children from different households playing together, sharing slides and climbing tubes, hugging and wrestling, no masks, no distancing. Since schools are now open I guess parents figure they might as well throw caution to the winds? Since yesterday we had 115 new cases in the county, it’s making me a little angry that our governor and others are pretending this is over when it’s not.

Public schools aren't open for in person schooling here yet, but there are various sports going on, and so I see groups of kids reasonably often. Some parents are doing pods where a smaller group of kids are getting together, but otherwise socially distancing, so perhaps (thinking positively) it's something like that?
    My mom, meanwhile, is desperate to get a flu shot, but the problem is she can’t get one without doing something much more risky than she has done previously - going to a building full of sick people and waiting for half an hour, then being within arm’s reach of a probably infected health care worker giving the shot. Since she’s completely isolated and isolation will prevent flu transmission as well as Covid, it is much less risky for her NOT to get a flu shot, but she’s hearing the news saying everyone should get one this year.

Is there not the "make an appt at Walgreens" option there?

The Walgreens around here don't advertise appointments but to be honest I never really checked if you could get an appointment. I went in and got mine about 8PM on a Sunday night, nobody around, in and out in 5 minutes.

Similar here (west TN)... I haven't heard anything about appointments, but went to the local Walgreens around 6p yesterday and was able to get a flu shot with little wait. I didn't even think about an appointment. I just went when I can and took the chance as to whether I get poked by the pretty pharmacist this year.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    @jo_nz An interesting approach. In Ontario (and probably in all of Canada) it's a self-isolation system for travellers and people who have a COVID diagnosis or COVID like symptoms. I don't believe it would be constitutional to require patients to stay in a particular facility until released here.

Here (U.S.), adult patients have a whole lot of latitude to refuse treatment as long as they are of sound mind. However, people who are considered a threat to themselves or others may be held against their own wishes. I am not a constitutional law expert, but someone who has Covid and refuses to isolate or even wear a mask sounds like someone who is a threat to others.

If they refuse to isolate, sure. Here if you have it and leave your home then you're subject to a hefty fine. If you continue then you can be detained and held. I've only heard of a few cases of it getting as far as the fine though. Mostly everyone is compliant with the isolation rules.
    My concern with an involuntary detainment is that it would likely cause some people with covid like symptoms not to seek testing and treatment over fears of being detained afterwards.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @jo_nz An interesting approach. In Ontario (and probably in all of Canada) it's a self-isolation system for travellers and people who have a COVID diagnosis or COVID like symptoms. I don't believe it would be constitutional to require patients to stay in a particular facility until released here.

Here (U.S.), adult patients have a whole lot of latitude to refuse treatment as long as they are of sound mind. However, people who are considered a threat to themselves or others may be held against their own wishes. I am not a constitutional law expert, but someone who has Covid and refuses to isolate or even wear a mask sounds like someone who is a threat to others.

If they refuse to isolate, sure. Here if you have it and leave your home then you're subject to a hefty fine. If you continue then you can be detained and held. I've only heard of a few cases of it getting as far as the fine though. Mostly everyone is compliant with the isolation rules.
    My concern with an involuntary detainment is that it would likely cause some people with covid like symptoms not to seek testing and treatment over fears of being detained afterwards.

Those are the people who will go out and infect everyone else whether they have or have not been tested. The outcome is no different, except no testing means the numbers look better in total. If that is a big group, then maybe it could make a big difference on total numbers. The fact that they go out and spread it doesn't change simply because they didn't want the government to find out they had it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To steer the Rose Garden scenario towards a "prep" discussion.... DH and I are thinking of creating an outdoor living room in our carport. While it is really nice spending time outside now, we are thinking about December-January when our 2 college students will be living at home.

Disease vector considerations:
    - short term: Both girls have excellent access to Covid testing and will test before returning home. They will isolate and retest, but that won't happen by Thanksgiving so we will be celebrating that outside. I think it will be nice. Different, but ok.
    - longer term: The 3rd sister will be teaching 7th graders up until Xmas eve practically, and the 3 will gather over the months everyone is in town. I learned from the first shelter in place that I just cannot keep them apart. They need each other more than ever with reduced social outlets. So they need a place to do that safely in more inclement weather.

Air flow considerations:
    - The carport is open on one side (3-car) with walls on the other 3 sides. The walls alternate brick (load bearing) and wood panels with 2 foot gaps at ceiling and floor.

In light of the Rose Garden, I'm seriously doubting that this space will provide enough air flow. Of course, experts speculate transmission was more likely during the subsequent indoor reception, but still, I wonder if it is enough and if the effort is worthwhile. Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Restaurants around here are trying to come up with some sort of tent like option that might be similar.

Here, for my own back yard, I just think it will be too cold for anything useable that's largely outdoors. I'm pretty worried about how this is going to be when it gets cold again.
    Changing the subject... twice recently I have run past playgrounds, at two different locations, which are now open and full of children from different households playing together, sharing slides and climbing tubes, hugging and wrestling, no masks, no distancing. Since schools are now open I guess parents figure they might as well throw caution to the winds? Since yesterday we had 115 new cases in the county, it’s making me a little angry that our governor and others are pretending this is over when it’s not.

Public schools aren't open for in person schooling here yet, but there are various sports going on, and so I see groups of kids reasonably often. Some parents are doing pods where a smaller group of kids are getting together, but otherwise socially distancing, so perhaps (thinking positively) it's something like that?
    My mom, meanwhile, is desperate to get a flu shot, but the problem is she can’t get one without doing something much more risky than she has done previously - going to a building full of sick people and waiting for half an hour, then being within arm’s reach of a probably infected health care worker giving the shot. Since she’s completely isolated and isolation will prevent flu transmission as well as Covid, it is much less risky for her NOT to get a flu shot, but she’s hearing the news saying everyone should get one this year.

Is there not the "make an appt at Walgreens" option there?

The Walgreens around here don't advertise appointments but to be honest I never really checked if you could get an appointment. I went in and got mine about 8PM on a Sunday night, nobody around, in and out in 5 minutes.

I think the appointments might be new this year, bc of covid.